Eboue boo boys were wrong

Eboue boo boys were wrong

Results
Date Time C Opponent F A R S
06 Dec 3:00 PM P Wigan Athletic (H) 1 0 Win

You never gain anything by booing your own player. It is enough for a player to know that the fans are angry with his display but booing starts an alienation process that does not help anybody.

Ashley Cole committed his crime against Arsenal and continued to play for Arsenal, even at Champions League finals. But most fans only started booing him after he left. The crime had not changed but fans chose to pick their battle at the right time. Unless a player has left or you really want him gone, why destroy him?

When a player loses the ball, he can hear the fans anger and that is good enough. I can contemplate booing the team off the pitch but singling out a player is counter-productive. A team can collectively respond but for single players, it is a lonely and much more damaging thing to do.

Emmanuel Eboue has been out for a month. He would not have gone on the pitch for more than 10 minutes had everything gone well. But Samir Nasri got injured and he came in on the wrong side of the pitch. I felt Denilson would have handled the wrong position better so that Eboué could be on the right. From the start, it was stacked against him.

After a series of errors (and a few players were also guilty) Eboue lost confidence since the fans picked on his errors much more severely. Kolo Touré was coming out with the ball and Eboue did not want to take the ball on his wrong foot down the wing – he already knew he could not beat anyone down there. He wanted the ball from Touré to go in-field but Touré wanted him to make a run. They both gestured opposing signals, got each other confused and Eboue reacted to pass back and lost the ball again. The fans let it rip on him.

Eboue became an unfortunate outlet for the fans' frustrations from a tough start to the season. He was booed because Arsenal have had a tough start and the fans are terribly frustrated, because his attitude in the past got on the wrong side of the fans and because many bloggers and commentators have found Eboue an easy target – none of them have been bothered enough to explain what he brings to Arsenal as a utility player who has been described by Arsène Wenger as very loyal, liked by his team mates and never complains about being on the bench.

Yes, he has failings but we don't break our own players and we should understand that he is useful. He can fill 3 positions and had he been fit a week earlier, might have kept us in the Carling cup. Arsenal is playing in the Champions League, the FA Cup and the league. Our injury situation is not great. Bacary Sagna and Nasri looks like they are entering an injury cycle like we saw with Robin van Persie. We need all the players we have. Of course we are entitled to be angry and shout "Wake up!" But booing is simply counter-productive.

I will explain why I am concerned enough to write about this. I think Alex Song and Denilson are suffering (among some writers and bloggers) similar bad press about their quality and suitability for Arsenal and we would destroy their progress if we did the same booing to them. We have a part in helping players grow. We can be angry but we should not boo. They should still feel supported.

In this period with lots of injuries and many changes since the start of the season, a lot of young players have had their first opportunity to show whether they can really do it at this level – Carlos Vela, Aaron Ramsey, Nicklas Bendtner, Song, Denilson, Johan Djourou, Abou Diaby. Of those players, I think Djourou, Song and Denilson have really staked a credible claim. Djourou had a great game with Song against Wigan in the Carling cup and then at Chelsea and Wigan again today.

Denilson is still lightweight but his connect play keeps us moving in midfield. He covers a surprising amount of ground and completes a lot of tackles. He also wins free kicks more often than he loses the ball. Denilson's statistics are pretty impressive when you look at them away from a game.

Song had a good game against Manchester United, Dynamo Kyev, Chelsea especially (playing in a 4 man midfield) and now against Wigan Athletic. He is great in the air in midfield and at the back and tracks back very well. He has increased in his urgency on the ball – could still be better but he doesn't lose many.

He is one of the Arsenal players (along with Djourou) that can actually use their body strength and can tactically foul a player. His athleticism surprised me against Chelsea and Wigan where Arsenal lined up 4 in midfield. I must admit he looks good near Francesc Fabregas and I am really hoping that he continues to grow.

When both Adebayor and van Persie play, Arsenal do not lose and I saw some statistics which showed that we actually play more long passes when we play 4-4-2 with van Persie and Adebayor both on the pitch. The stats also show that the higher our long pass percentage, the better the result. Who would have thought that Arsenal now survives better with route 1?

Seems like Cesc is out for the Porto game. Myself, I would play Ramsey in his place. Nobody else can find the passes that Cesc finds as much as Ramsey. It is a game we can lose so it is worth giving him a chance with a strong team round him. We have to prepare for Middlesbrough and Liverpool and it starts in FC Porto.

Like Article? Share with others.

User Comments

Apata

Posted on 10 Dec, 2008 at 06:14 PM - Reply

I felt really sad being an Arsenal fan as I saw the match with my girlfriend who happens to be a Liverpool fan and I saw her shed a tear for Eboue as he was stepping off the pitch... We really need to grow up and stop acting like kids... Why would I ever want to destroy a part of me??? I think this is the question all the boo boys should ask themselves... Chin up Emmanuel, I see you coming out of this stronger!!!

A Gooners from Nigeria

goonneerr

Posted on 9 Dec, 2008 at 02:32 PM - Reply

Agree with this article good one!!

What is the point of booing Eboue how is he ever going to play better with fans booing i can proudly say i was in the stands and i did not boo!!

JeunSoke

Posted on 9 Dec, 2008 at 10:53 AM - Reply

Good write up and i think we have to prepare for the game against middlesbrough and liverpool starts in Porto....Up Gunners and i wish Eboue all the very best.

john quinn arsenal ireland

Posted on 8 Dec, 2008 at 07:08 PM - Reply

I was really upset with the Arsenal fans against Wigan ...their booing of Eboue very sad to see and reflects very badly on them ..ok he may not be their favourite player ..but he is an Arsenal player and very much part of our team, he is also a human being with feelings the same as the rest of us... it was horrible to watch and even several days after the event i feel replused and upset for the poor guy ,nobody deserves to be treated this way.... Nobody..... I feel no matter what the fans should not behave this way, personaly i feel it also effects the other players when they see a team member being treated this way .. it does nothing ,absolutely nothing to enhance any bonding between the team and the fans ,Real Arsenal fans would not act this way ..and it reaaly must stop.The pressure players are under at Arsenal is high enough without the added pressure and soul destroying spectacle of being boo by your own fans, LET HE WHO HAS NO SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE. Its time for some Humility Arsenal Fans . Please listen.

simon_84

Posted on 8 Dec, 2008 at 07:14 AM - Reply

eboue did not deserved the boos, he only just came back from injury and after 1 or 2 stray passes, the crowd starts booing him. goes to show how fickle the london fans can be at times.

elninio

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 11:08 PM - Reply

Fan's only singled out Eboue because it really has reached its limit in terms of poor performances. I don't want to cause offense but he is not good enough and all the fans who were booing and quite a few others think the same. Watch the game against the Scum again and you will see proof that Eboue cannot cut the mustard.

Edgar

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 09:45 PM - Reply

Is it 100% that Cesc is out for Porto?

BigBoss

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 08:34 PM - Reply

Thanks alot for your comment.
I totally agree with you.

Ramgun

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 08:18 PM - Reply

Haven't you forgotten to ask the obvious question? Why the hell did Arsene put our reserve right-back on the left-wing in the first place?

Chris Kellner

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 07:40 PM - Reply

To tell you the truth, Arsenal 100% booed the wrong player. The player everyone should be booing is gael clichy. This season he has had some shocking performances and time will tell when he finally leaves the club!!! LUVVV CESCO fabregas

Femi

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 07:23 PM - Reply

Eboue was not an initial target. The fans are now frustrated with the team in general. He just happened to be the unfortunate one to bear their brunt. Wenger should the the one to be warned, his loyal fans have about had enough. Also Mr. Che did not (or refused to) also lay the blame on Arsene Wenger's refusal to buy more players hence have enough depth. Then Eboue would not have suffered for this.

Regis

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 06:41 PM - Reply

Thanks for what you wrote...
After Gallas and Eboue who will be the next ?
The right time to support a team is when things go wrong not only when you're top of the league !
Eboue had a poor game for sure, but the boo boys should think about the consequences for the whole team.

A french gooner

Luckyfrank

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 06:08 PM - Reply

I agree eboue should not have being boo'd however regarding alex song and denilson they should learn there trade at some other club and come back to us somewhere near the finished article i sick of us fielding so many youngsters who are learning there trade we are to big a club for that maybe one or two like united do but at arsenal we over-kill letting youth develop

McG

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 04:29 PM - Reply

I am no fan of Eboue but what happened yesterday was a disgrace. How was that helping? How could any true fan of the Arsenal boo any of the players like that. I get as pissed off as the next man with certain players who are just not good enough for our team but Never would I boo them. There was booing at half time in the Everton game as well, which I agree we were crap in but how can anyone boo the team they love?

john

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 04:22 PM - Reply

i agree with you i was ther and could not believe what went on he has been out for weeks and was playing out of position and to get booed for a couple of mistakes when he was not the only one was not good if sagna gets injured we will need him what we need to do is support our team not give them stick whats going on

Krishna

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 04:02 PM - Reply

You got spot on about Eboue and everything else on this article.
Every Arsenal fan must read this and understand it, it will help Arsenal football club. True fans are those who help player and team when he (and they) is out of form or lost confidence.

Van Feldman

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 03:56 PM - Reply

your absolutely right. agree with every single word. booing our own players isnt going to help. take an example off portsmouth. you guys remember when we thrashed them, and you could hear all them pompey fans cheering the team on as much as they could?? come on guys..give eboue a break and a chance.

Aliaq8 *ADAMS*

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 02:25 PM - Reply

i agree ... eboue didnt play well that day and thats it ...
BESIDES fabregas made 9 or 10 wrong passes in the first half yet no one was booing him.
Eboue is a good player why else would Wenger still keep em here at Arsenal,he just had a bad game.

ShifuArsenal

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 02:06 PM - Reply

Good article.
The booboys are out of order. We all want Arsenal to win the EPL but destroying your players confidence isn't the waty to go about it.
Eboue had good season before he was injured. The booboys are just bullyboys they see Eboue is an easy target.
The fan should be supporting Eboue to regain is confidence not try to drag him down. Arsenal needs all of its good experience players and Eboue is one of them. If Wenger thought Eboue did not make the grade he would sold him along time ago.
Arsenal will continue to face many nervous games. Would Eduardo or Walcott be open to the same abuse missing two sitters in front of goal in a game Arsenal need to win having just coming back from injury?

Ry

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 01:31 PM - Reply

I was at the game yesterday and I thought the treatment of Eboue was disgusting. Don't get me wrong, if you want to boo someone go for it, but don't be fickle and cheer for him when he does pull off a good pass, we leave that to the Yids. If that's your style, go and support a scum team like that - trust me, supporters like that will not be missed.

Eboue has been a good but contraversial player for Arsenal and has put in some serious shifts for the Gunners - funny how quick all this was forgetten.

He has been out for a month, was on the bench to get a run, not play an hour. The fact that he was prepared to play for the cause beyond his current fitness levels, shows his dedication to the club. Again, maybe some of you amateur football 'fans' are not aware that when you have been out for a while, you do not come back as sharpe as when you went out. God help Dudu when he comes back. He has been out for 38/39 games (but most of you part-time 'supporters' won't be aware of these stats - I've been a Gooner for 24 years, you can take my word). When he comes back he will need everyone's support. Are you gonna boo him if he has a bad game? If that's the case, please hand in your membership now, Arsenal do not need your half assed support.

Our game is built on confidence and consistancy. We are already short of consistancy - look at our last 10 results, and now you want to take away the one thing that is just starting to come back? And, incidents like yesterday will affect more than Eboue. Other players will now be walking on eggs shells not to p*ss off the crowd. Do you think Jack Wiltshire and Aaron Ramsey will be full of confidence the next time they play if they know a couple of mistakes will turn them into villans? Use your common sense. If any of you reading this have a son (or daughter) around 20 that play football, how do you think they would've felt had they had been in Eboue's shoes yesterday. Forget the fact he is a pro - he is still a person with emotions and feelings.

My least favourite Arsenal player is Nik Bendtner. But I'd never boo Nik because there are times he thoroughly puts me in my place by ripping the back of the net. And who will ever forget his one touch and goal show against the Yids. I AM NOT FICKLE. Each player will have good and bad games. And, it is easy to support your team when they are winning, it's much harder to be there for them when they are not playing well. But thats our role as supporters, you be there for your team.

I think boo boys are d*ck heads. If you are going to go to a game to boo your own team, stay at home and do it for free. It's because of people like you that I can only get matchday tickets infrequently. I go to watch and support the team not to make them feel nervous and unconfident in their abilities.

Follow my lead, be a real Gooner, in good times AND bad. Don't hang around waiting for success, thats not real support. That's like all of the new found Chelsea support. Glory hunting.

Chin up Eboue, I hope you come back strong and even score one soon, let's see if the boos boys stand and cheer - you know they will.

Simon

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 12:18 PM - Reply

Good article. I was at the game yesterday and I have to say I found the reaction to his substitution very scary indeed.

Yes, he had a shocking game but I feel sorry for him for the stick that he got. Chin up Eboue!

HY Lau

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 12:14 PM - Reply

You are spot on. Some so called fans are spoiled I don't know why they all think they know better than Wenger. If you really were you'll be sitting in the dugout instead of in front of the TV.

We should bare in mind that we as fans has a responsibility to be smart and take things into perspective. Don't let the stupid press comment get into your thinking. Be a fan, not a moaner.

ech0_gunner

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 12:11 PM - Reply

sigh, its not so much eboue there booing its wengers refusal to buy a decent player for the positions we need an using eboue where he clearly isnt anywhere near the grade we need, i liek him as a right back, but that is the only position he can play and the boos will stop when wenger realises this. eboue has been getting stick ever since he started being played out of position.

K3NnY

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 11:42 AM - Reply

i think that all de arsenal fans that were booing Eboue should be ashamed of thmselves.booing him didn,t help him play beta. i thouoght Arsenal fans were meant 2 respect da team n da playaz.when the fans started booeing at Eboue,i felt ashamed 2 call ma self and Arsenal fan. not ashamed of the team but the fans.

Hadley

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 11:33 AM - Reply

WHY NOT START A POST WHERE TRUE GOONERS CAN SEND A MESSAGE OF SUPPORT TO EBOUE AND LET HIM (AND JUST AS IMPORTANTLY THE OTHER PLAYERS) KNOW THAT WE ARE NOT ALL MINDLESS MORONS AND THAT WE DO ACTUALLY SUPPORT THE TEAM. YOU COULD THEN PRINT IT OUT AND SEND TO THE CLUB WHO COULD PASS IT ON TO EBOUE. I WOULDN'T BLAME HIM, OR ANY OTHER PLAYERS, IF THEY NEVER FELT LIKE PLAYING FOR THE ARSENAL AGAIN IF IT MEANS BEING ABUSED BY THESE PRAWN SANDWICH MUNCHERS. I USED TO BE SO PROUD OF ARSENAL FANS COMPARED TO THE BEHAVIOUR OF OTHERS, BUT NOW LOOK WHAT IS HAPPENING AT OUR GROUND. WE NEED TO REDEEM OURSELVES AND SENDING MESSAGES OF SUPPORT WOULD BE A GREAT WAY OF DOING THIS AND RESTORING CONFIDENCE. TRUE GOONERS NEED TO STAND UP AND TAKE BACK OUR CLUB.

Webby

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 11:16 AM - Reply

Good post, but unfortunately I disagree with many things. You say that people shouldnt boo unless the player is going or you want him to go. In my eyes eboue should leave. I know theres alot of fans on here that like eboue but it seems people forget how dreadful he has been of late. Arsenal strive to be league winners and Champions Cup Winners, along with many cracks at the moment within our team, eboue is one of them. He is not world class, and altho all teams need back up and utility, I dont think he is the solution.

Long story short..... IF one of the 3 critical errors yesterday had led to a goal and drop 2 points, this would be a WHOLE different atmosphere on the forums. These players get a lot of money to show there talent in front of 60k of fans. 60k of fans pay a SHED load of money to be seated in front of the likes of eboue. Booeing may be counter productive, but boy does it hit home. Long time coming in my opinion. Regards

Webb

Daniel

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 11:05 AM - Reply

I felt very sorry for Eboue......he looked thoroughly miserable as he was coming off. He's an easy target for the fans but people seem to forget that before Theo arrived he was the one player in the team who was able or willing to cross the ball with any sort of accuracy.....I remember several fantastic performances in the Champs League run we had in 2006. Give him a break!

Sacha Brady

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 10:54 AM - Reply

I agree with the Eboue comments, but Arsenal fans don't forgive stupidity. This was the reason for Kevin Campbell's downfall.

TheArsenalWay

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 10:50 AM - Reply

Last night for the first time in decades, I was ashamed of being an Arsenal fan. Even the co-commentator (whos comments during the course of the game were so anti-arsenal, I thought he was sp*rs fan) felt it was disgusting. Its such a shame really. Black day for Arsenal FC

Tim Southgate

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 10:50 AM - Reply

I do so agree about poor Eboue. He has been such a loyal servant for Wenger and the club. I know he has his faults but I hate to see a player who has lost confidence being driven lower by his own fans. Football is about confidence and at the moment there is not a lot of it around Arsenal. We cannot afford to destroy what little there is on our own side! It was ignorant and cruel and I hope many of those who booed Eboue off the pitch now feel ashamed of themselves.

Manu Mekala

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 10:38 AM - Reply

absolutely correct

i have been writing the same stuff u wrote on several websites and forums,
no booing..

great article

Wilson

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 10:31 AM - Reply

Very good article, i cant agree with u more.i was personally very sad about what happened to Eboue.I hope that will not happen again

Jim

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 10:27 AM - Reply

I don't know if you were there or just watching online/tv but to my knowledge Eboue was only booed when he left the pitch.
His performance yesterday was well below that expected of an Arsenal player. I don't buy the argument that he was being played out of position. He has played on the left before when Nasri was injured and not put in such a bad shift.
What you have to remember is that any Arsenal fan there yesterday would have given their right arm to take Eboue's place on the field. If you aren't going to give 100% every week then you shouldn't be pulling on the Arsenal shirt.

LondonGooner

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 09:46 AM - Reply

Every player has bad games but the problem was that Eboue applied no common sense to the role he was being asked to fill - he kept going on these pointless meandering runs into the centre-forward and right wing positions when we had the ball and when we lost it he left a huge hole on Wigan's right side of the field that they then used to break. The training staff were berating him to stay in the left midfield position and he refused so he had to come off. When he lost the final ball Wenger turned to his staff and made it clear he had to come off. The way he was playing he was going to cost us a goal. If he had stayed where he was supposed to be his bad game would not have turned into an awful game. Only he knows why he kept negleting his defensive responsibilities.

Anton

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 09:43 AM - Reply

Great post, spot on.

Sue

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 09:29 AM - Reply

Indeed they were wrong and I hope never to hear the likes of it again at the stadium for one of their own.
Absolutely bloody disgraceful - If you dont like it simple then dont go.....there are plenty of real fans to take your place.

Keys

Posted on 7 Dec, 2008 at 09:29 AM - Reply

To be honest I was as were many angry with Eboue at the time but now it feels like an over reaction. Firstly any Gooner I know, knows never to boo an Arsenal Player and secondly we may as well boo the whole team because RVP missed chances, Clichy last season and this season has cost us points, our midfield has not done brilliantly all season, etc, etc.

I think there is an underlying reason why Eboue and Bendtner get so much stick from the fans and yesterday was an excuse to show their frustration.

WE AS FANS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PLAYERS CONFIDENCE ON THE PITCH AND ITS A SHAME WE WENT A LONG WAY TO DESTROYING ONE OF OUR OWN.

I HOPE SOMEONE AT OUR NXT HOME GAME PUTS A BANNER UP TO APOLOGISE TO EBOUE AND SO WE CAN PUT THIS SITUATION RIGHT.

Written by Joel Che on Sunday, December 7, 2008

User Comments

Arsenal league results powered by whatsthescore.com

tracker