• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Next Captain?

Which best describes your opinion of Xhaka?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Brings so much to our play. and still, we dont really play wingers, which would get Granit,s game to another new level

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Did I fall asleep and miss when we signed Xabi Alonso, Clarence Seedorf, Iniesta, Xavi, Pogba or Petit?

Are you all sure you're talking about Granit Xhaka?

As Big Poppa said on the last page, we need to raise our standards. Look at where we've finished the past two years and our performances in midfield during that time. Then tell me it would be difficult to upgrade on Xhaka.

People said the exact same things about Coquelin, Giroud, Gibbs, Cech and all the rest.

We aren't football managers or even scouts. To say that there aren't many players out there who could do a better job than Xhaka is disingenuous in my opinion.

Who knew about Kante? Or Dybala/Veratti/Delle Alli before they made it big? Hell who knew about Guendouzi or Rob Holding. There are 1000s of footballers across the world. If our scouting team can't find one who is better than Granit Xhaka they might as well turn in their badges.
I get it mate, but let's look at what other clubs have: Henderson, Gundogan, Jorginho... We can do and should do better, but it's far more easy to improve other positions like CB and FB and get much quicker results. If Verrati want's to come here, I would sell Xhaka and add 40m to that, but we should be more realistic with our situation.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I get it mate, but let's look at what other clubs have: Henderson, Gundogan, Jorginho... We can do and should do better, but it's far more easy to improve other positions like CB and FB and get much quicker results. If Verrati want's to come here, I would sell Xhaka and add 40m to that, but we should be more realistic with our situation.

Why do you name those three? Liverpool have also tried to replace Henderson twice over with Fabinho and Keita.

Fernandinho, Kante, Pogba is what other clubs have.

I'm not saying we should buy Veratti. I'm just pointing out that no one knew who he was until PSG signed him. Good players are out there. Its defeatist to shrug our shoulders and go "Well who out there is better than Xhaka" as if 1. Xhaka is all that good to begin with and 2. There aren't a plethora of players out there.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Why do you name those three? Liverpool have also tried to replace Henderson twice over with Fabinho and Keita.

I'm not saying we should buy Veratti. I'm just pointing out that no one knew who he was until PSG signed him. Good players are out there. Its defeatist to shrug our shoulders and go "Well who out there is better than Xhaka" as if 1. Xhaka is all that good to begin with and 2. There aren't a plethora of players out there.
I think we should compare Torreira with Kante and Fernandinho, but we've already brought Douzi so I guess that was our move for long term stability in his position.
Fabinho and Keita are actually nice examples why I'm more eager to replace CB and FB rather than Xhaka. They've invested huge money in them and didn't do anything positive and it can happen to us, but finding someone who can replace Mustafi, Bellerin or Monreal should be a straightforward job even for mediocre scouts.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I think we should compare Torreira with Kante and Fernandinho, but we've already brought Douzi so I guess that was our move for long term stability in his position.
Fabinho and Keita are actually nice examples why I'm more eager to replace CB and FB rather than Xhaka. They've invested huge money in them and didn't do anything positive and it can happen to us, but finding someone who can replace Mustafi, Bellerin or Monreal should be a straightforward job even for mediocre scouts.

They aren't nice examples, its better to try and fail than not try at all. You will get it right sometimes.

Since you want examples look at Liverpool. How many useless lumps did they buy for their forward positions before they got Salah and Mane?

Off the top of my head Benteke, Balotelli, Carroll, Aquilani, Markovic and a few others. Every club has bad buys. You can't be afraid to make a purchase because it might not work out. If it doesn't you send the player on his way. Its only at Arsenal where we not only keep our bad buys for years and years but we let them prevent us from getting in replacements.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If Emery didn't believe that Xhaka meets his requirements and standards, first of all he wouldn't have extended his contract and wouldn t play him as his main guy in the midfield. So, who do you think we should believe, you, a random poster on here or Emery?

It is exactly leadership, presence, control that Xhaka offers to the Arsenal midfield. You should watch the games to be aware of it and see the difference when he is not playing.

Name one midfielder in his position in PL who is better than Xhaka? None.

You are one of those posters that go into hiding when Arsenal wins and Xhaka is distinguished for his performance and come out of your hiding when Arsenal loses to blame him although the truth is totally different.

Let's just agree to disagree.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

Several million of FM players knew Verrati...

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He was good today, scored a very good goal and gave us control in midfield with some lovely diagonals and through balls. His tackle in the box saved us and he got up and played after being injured snd barely missed a beat. He had a couple of moments but so did every player out there abd today he looked like the Xhaka I want to see every game. We need this showing on Thursday.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
He plays well in these big home games. Think Ramsey is a wonderful partner for him. Would like to see more of that in the last few games left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom