• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Paulista: No Entiendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Really like what I've seen from Gabriel so far. I have not seen anything to suggest that he and Koscielny cannot form a solid partnership.While we will have to wait a bit longer to see whether this can come to fruition, I am not yet worried that Koscielny - Gabriel would be as disasterous as Koscielny - Vermaelen was.

Some shaky moments, but overall a solid start to his Arsenal career from Gabriel.
Main problem with Vermaelen-Koscielny was that Koscielny was on his less favoured side, which isn't a problem with Gabriel, or Chambers for that matter.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Think the "disgraceful standard of defending" is more down to midfielders who cannot contain themselves from closing down more than anything else.

All the top teams defend as a unit. Don't think the A. Madrid backline would look any better than yours if you left them completely exposed.

This.

Wenger looks like he's trying to get this in motion but still needs work IMO.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Fonte is not that good, makes too many mistakes to be a top defender. Alderweireld for instance is much better.

Disagree, looks extremely solid most of the time. He knows his role and more importantly his limitations. Alderweireld is more flashy but is also more jittery and is prone to rushing out.

Fonte's reading of the game is absolutely superb, he's made the most interceptions by defenders this year and is in the top 10 for least errors made. Squawka has him at no. 1 amongst defenders as well.

Probably one of the bargains of all time, went to Saints for 1M. If we'd bought him instead of Vermaelen, I reckon him and Kos would be the best CB pairing in the world.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
If Fonte was that good, he'd have a better career by now. How old is he now, 32? Also The "most interceptions" stat is bollocks and useless. Phil Jones averages more interceptions than him, don't any anyone saying that he's one of the best CB's in the league.

Saints have an absolute rock solid system, they set up first and foremost not lose, so many of thier players, particularly defensive ones will look better than they initially are.

People were saying:

- that Lambert is better than Giroud.

- that Lovren is better than Kos.

- that Lallana is better than Cazorla.

- that fat Shaw is the best young LB in the world.

Ask about their opinion now.

My guess is that the the next in line is the grosely overrated Schneiderlin, followed by Wanyama and Clyne if they manage a move to a bigger club. I'll laugh my ass off at the club that gets mugged off by Saints and pays 30m for Schneiderlin(it won't be us, Wenger isn't stupid).

We should've learnt enough lessons by now after they sold their "best" players, they even managed to look better than last season.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

@Furious Styles

I only used the interception stat to enhance my point, I can tell by watching him how well he reads the game.

Don't see what his age has to do with anything, I'm not suggesting we buy him. If anything he's in his prime.

As for him not having a famous career and therefore being ****, if Kos hadn't got promoted with Lorient who knows what would have happened. He's played far beyond the level of Southampton since he arrived there, the last 3 seasons they've been in the Prem he's been great. Great players fall through the cracks, Drogba and Giroud weren't discovered till late on. Same with many players.

I don't care about the other Southampton players, I've personally never said I rated Lambert, Lallana or Lovren that highly. Just Fonte.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
If Fonte was that good, he'd have a better career by now. How old is he now, 32? Also The "most interceptions" stat is bollocks and useless. Phil Jones averages more interceptions than him, don't any anyone saying that he's one of the best CB's in the league.

Saints have an absolute rock solid system, they set up first and foremost not lose, so many of thier players, particularly defensive ones will look better than they initially are.

People were saying:

- that Lambert is better than Giroud.

- that Lovren is better than Kos.

- that Lallana is better than Cazorla.

- that fat Shaw is the best young LB in the world.

Ask about their opinion now.

My guess is that the the next in line is the grosely overrated Schneiderlin, followed by Wanyama and Clyne if they manage a move to a bigger club. I'll laugh my ass off at the club that gets mugged off by Saints and pays 30m for Schneiderlin(it won't be us, Wenger isn't stupid).

We should've learnt enough lessons by now after they sold their "best" players, they even managed to look better than last season.

The bits in bold... Who was saying that? I dont recall seeing that this board for instance...

And if S'oton make their defensive players look so good due to the way they set up, why are/have their attacking players flourished/flourishing too? You'd think that'd be difficult, right?

Lambert isn't even being used, anyway. Lovren was always likely to struggle IMO, and Lallana, to me, is struggling to deal with the burden. All three (at the same time) arrived at a club trying to deal with the vacuum of the Suarez departure. All three, IMO, have their own reasons for not showing their best, other than simply being blown up S'oton players.

Does the same, presumably, apply to Chamberlain and Chambers? Or have they simply arrived at a more favourable environment?

My point ultimately being: I wouldn't judge Schneiderlin by how the career of his team mates that all went to Liverpool, of all places, have panned out. It's far too simplistic.

Furious

@Rex Banner

Didn't say he's **** because of his career, or **** at all. Just find it hard to believe how you all of a sudden can be the best CB in the league after an average career. Surely a bigger club would've bought him by now.

The bits in bold... Who was saying that? I dont recall seeing that this board for instance...

And if S'oton make their defensive players look so good due to the way they set up, why are/have their attacking players flourished/flourishing too? You'd think that'd be difficult, right?

Lambert isn't even being used, anyway. Lovren was always likely to struggle IMO, and Lallana, to me, is struggling to deal with the burden. All three (at the same time) arrived at a club trying to deal with the vacuum of the Suarez departure. All three, IMO, have their own reasons for not showing their best, other than simply being blown up S'oton players.

Does the same, presumably, apply to Chamberlain and Chambers? Or have they simply arrived at a more favourable environment?

My point ultimately being: I wouldn't judge Schneiderlin by how the career of his team mates that all went to Liverpool, of all places, have panned out. It's far too simplistic.

Don't know if anyone has said it here, but last season I saw those claims creeping up a few times around the internet last season. Point being that they were hyped upto something they weren't, and therefore they ultimately always were going to leave people disappointed.

It depends a lot on tactics, squad and the manager I'd say. They make most out of very little, play well as an unit, and do well in the whole as a result. It may be one of the reasons to why their players, regardless of where they play, are rated better than they probably should. A small club doing great is always a story worthy.

You make some relevant points there, but it probably means that Rodgers had been caught by the hype too. He should've done better reasearch on the players to find out how or will they adapt to the way he wants his team to play, etc.

They weren't hyped as much, and are younger so people have more time for them. Personally didn't notice much of Chambers last season, but had we bought him for 30m after he was hyped up as much as Shaw, then most Gooners would've been hugely disappointed with his showings so far. Instead, we barely notice that he's not even making the bench most days.

Absolutely, it is incredibly simplistic... But the damage is already done IMO. The way Schneiderlin is estimated already, there's only one route for him, he's going in the steps of his ex-teammates I'd say.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
This geezer's going to be a tremendous asset for us in the long run. Stopped a Reading counter today quite brilliantly. Aggressive but intelligent with it. Definite similarities to Kos.

Furious

This geezer's going to be a tremendous asset for us in the long run. Stopped a Reading counter today quite brilliantly. Aggressive but intelligent with it. Definite similarities to Kos.

Agree. His interceptions are maybe even more 'boss' than Kos'. That one just before extra time was seriously impressive.

musicmonkey

Established Member
I got a very different impression today, made some bad errors that almost put Reading through on multiple occasions. Should have scored too but he wasn't the only one guilty of that. We were lucky Pogrebnyak is a donkey.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Gabriel has the potential to be a top CB, but he needs more experience. He is very similar to Kos when he first got here.

He'll do some remarkable stuff in a match, but then have a momentary lapse that could cost us the match.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
He should've scored his first Arsenal goal today. He has an awkward way/style of tackling. It looks like he turns his back to the attacker, and stretches his leg which is exactly how Pepe tackles. It must be a Brazilian thing. Lol

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Kosh first season with us was not great too but since that he become really quality CB i expect the same with Gabriel. Such a shame his header didn't went in Reading keeper made great save to be honest.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Glad he's got this settling in period, think he'll hit the ground running next season.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
His introduction has gone really well. Lots of confidence builders and good experiences that should prep him well for when he takes Pers spot next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom