• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mathieu Flamini (OUT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Who does City have as cover for Fernando/Fernandinho?

Who does Chelsea have for Matic? Mikel? He's just a younger, ****ter version of Arteta. Mourinho compensates via tactics which is what AW needs to do if we're missing a key player such as Coq.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
When it's been Caz-Rambo, Cazorla has basically been our deepest midfielder and played a more disciplined role next to Ramsey who like @amirkat said, played a B2B role. And Ramsey should always play a B2B role if he's in central midfield because that's where he excels.

I suppose you wouldn't technically call Santi a tradional DM when he's paired with Ramsey. He plays as a deep lying playmaker, but unlike when he's next to Coquelin, he holds his position as the deepest midfielder at all times.

Last edited:

danman5033

Manure have schneiderlin Carrick and schweini all of which can play dm flawlessly. Even fellaini and blind can play dm. Mikel is 5x more able of a backup than flamini or arteta. City has fernando fernandinho and delph

When it's been Caz-Rambo, Cazorla has basically been our deepest midfielder and played a more disciplined role next to Ramsey who like @amirkat said, played a B2B role. And Ramsey should always play a B2B role if he's in central midfield because that's where he excels.

I suppose you wouldn't technically call Santi a tradional DM when he's paired with Ramsey. He plays as a deep lying playmaker, but unlike when he's next to Coquelin, he holds his position as the deepest midfielder at all times.
I agree with this, but also think peple are over looking the fact that Coquelin will not be used for a number of 'easier home games', therefore not expecting 60 games from him - more like 35-40.
Managable

Malky

Established Member
Flamini shouldn't even be considered a squad option, but unfortunately Coq cant play every game for us and Arteta looks like he would struggle for a full 90mins. So going another season with poor options at DM, when there is vast amounts of money available and players that would be comfortable upgrades is playing with fire on Wengers part.

Is Santi not more of a deep lying playmaker in that role though? I'm just praying to the baby jesus Coquelin doesn't get badly injured after the window shuts because if he does it's gonna be a looooooong season.
Then Chambers will be forced to play out of necessity, play outstandingly and actually over takes Francis?
Who knows what Arsène's seen in training.
Some call that a big risk, I tend to see it as calculated risk, that might present an opportunity to talented youngsters.
(Bellerin, Coquelin and many others got their chance this way).

Saying this. If we bought Mascherano, I'd be delighted

cannonade

Established Member
Flamini shouldn't even be considered a squad option, but unfortunately Coq cant play every game for us and Arteta looks like he would struggle for a full 90mins. So going another season with poor options at DM, when there is vast amounts of money available and players that would be comfortable upgrades is playing with fire on Wengers part.

Wenger's funny and frustrating in this way. We most always seem to have a squad that is missing some component that might make it great. In years past we've had good a good attack, but crappy defense and GK. Then the defense is shored up, but the MF sucks. Then the MF and defense look good, but the attack is weak. Then we get a solid attack, MF, GK, but the defense suffers again.
And again, here we are with a strong squad that seems to only need a solid #2 DM to shore up that area, but does not appear to be addressed (at this point, there's still time) and we're all sweating because we've seen this before.
Wenger seems to want to live on the edge of success or disaster (going into last season with a very thin defense and no DM as a recent example, or going into any season with Giroud as the main striker--many here would say.

He's funny that way, and I don't really get it.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

As long as Coq doesn't die and Arteta has a slightly better season than last fitness wise he won't be considered an option. He's about as likely to play as a Chelsea youngster is next season. Honestly don't see what the problem is, probably is only likely to come on if we're holding onto a lead and Arteta's not on the bench so he comes on to give Özil a rest or something like that. Even so I think we saw with Flamini virtually not playing at all at the end of last season Wenger might even just throw guys like Wilshere/Cazorla alongside Ramsey as a last resort if both Coq and Arteta are unavailable.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Manure have schneiderlin Carrick and schweini all of which can play dm flawlessly. Even fellaini and blind can play dm. Mikel is 5x more able of a backup than flamini or arteta. City has fernando fernandinho and delph

Delph doesn't play DM and City set up with Fernando/Fernandinho as their two deeper CMs - oh they're also average.

Please tell me who is back up to F & F?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Cazorla is astute at marking space and cutting out passing lines. So makes sense for him to do that and allow someone else to be all action if Coquelin isn't there.

It will be interesting to see if Wilshere adopts similar as I think it's the only way he can play deeper.

danman5033

Delph doesn't play DM and City set up with Fernando/Fernandinho as their two deeper CMs - oh they're also average.

Please tell me who is back up to F & F?
you answered your own question, theyre back ups for each other, city rotate fernando and fernandinho.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

you answered your own question, theyre back ups for each other, city rotate fernando and fernandinho.
Would they not start with Toure and Delph and those two would be the back up, Silva ahead with Sterling and DeBryne, assuming they sign him of course.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It's amazing isn't it :confused:

You put Mikel in a Bournemouth shirt and you'd think he's a championship player

Astonishing really. Mikel IS a championship player. BTW there's hundreds of players who could have done the job Mikel was doing, which was essentially coming on when Chelsea were 1-0 or 2-0 up and sitting in with Matic all last season, Flamini probably could have done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom