• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Pérez: Is he back again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Dangerous illegal tackles that cause injury should be punished heavily in my opinion, even if the punishment has to be handed after the fact. The length of the injury caused up to 3 games max would be a good starting point for such punishments. It should make players think twice before going in for such tackles.

Wilshere would sail through the opposition, all thinking twice...

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Shame as he misses the 1/4 final of the EFL Cup and will now have to get fit all over again. Hopefully he'll be ready for the December/January slog. It was a clumsy tackle made by an enormous oaf.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
The curse of Arsenal has struck #9.

I am truly sorry to see him out for 6 weeks. Truly sorry.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Hopefully he turns it into a positive & fully settles into the life over here. Those late window moves cant be easy off the pitch.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

That's about ten games at the very least without him, can easily be 15 when the games come in thick and fast in December. Could have really settled in and became a regular contributer. Too bad.

Rocky

So are you saying that it is impossible to stop skilled players without trying to injure them?

I'm saying that if there were a punishment for injuring players, to make players think twice about tackling, then they might not dare to tackle Wilshere, because he is about as injury prone as they come...

I wasn't being serious. Most fouls are unintentional.

The challenge on Lucas was diabolical and reckless.

Rocky

That's about ten games at the very least without him, can easily be 15 when the games come in thick and fast in December. Could have really settled in and became a regular contributer. Too bad.

Especially with Ludogorets and the EFL.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
I'm saying that if there were a punishment for injuring players, to make players think twice about tackling, then they might not dare to tackle Wilshere, because he is about as injury prone as they come...

I wasn't being serious. Most fouls are unintentional.

The challenge on Lucas was diabolical and reckless.
I see, I misread the context then, my bad.

By the way, is there a gif of something of the challenge anywhere?

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Doesn't look that bad a challenge. clumsy yes, has he set out to foul him absolutely but I don't think he set out to injure him.

Rocky

Doesn't look that bad a challenge. clumsy yes, has he set out to foul him absolutely but I don't think he set out to injure him.

I disagree. His boot lifts up so he essentially goes in studs up. Once you're going in studs first, stamping down on someone's ankle, you can do damage, as he did. No amount of excuses about clumsiness and lateness mitigate that in my mind. Lucas is running away from the goal and it is nowhere near 50:50, it is more like 95:5. Given the risk involved in the challenge I think a red card for serious foul play would have been fair.

Serious foul play
"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I disagree. His boot lifts up so he essentially goes in studs up. Once you're going in studs first, stamping down on someone's ankle, you can do damage, as he did. No amount of excuses about clumsiness and lateness mitigate that in my mind. Lucas is running away from the goal and it is nowhere near 50:50, it is more like 95:5. Given the risk involved in the challenge I think a red card for serious foul play would have been fair.

Serious foul play
"Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play."
I don't disagree with any of that. it doesn't look like a bad tackle and he hasn't gone into injure him. studs up or down doesn't mean a tackle is "bad" or "dangerous".

That's my interpretation anyway. If you feel different then that's fair enough. I look at it from that angle, even with a 5% chance, there is no other way to make a tackle than the way he did. anything else would be dangerous.

There is no rule that says just because a player gets injured a tackle is bad or dangerous. And let's be grateful that's the case.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
I don't disagree with any of that. it doesn't look like a bad tackle and he hasn't gone into injure him. studs up or down doesn't mean a tackle is "bad" or "dangerous".

That's my interpretation anyway. If you feel different then that's fair enough. I look at it from that angle, even with a 5% chance, there is no other way to make a tackle than the way he did. anything else would be dangerous.

There is no rule that says just because a player gets injured a tackle is bad or dangerous. And let's be grateful that's the case.
If he really wanted to get the ball then he would have gone to ground and aimed in front of the ball. Instead he stamped which in my opinion is an intent to injure. I've seen red cards given for these kinds of 'stamps' and this one should've been one as well.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Disagree. any attempt to slide there and he cleans the player. Perez is moving forward so he has to go in the way he did or not at all. He probably shouldn't have made the tackle. but he did.

I've seen worse. The only thing to be annoyed about is that it was no worse than Xhaka's red card. Both were yellows at best.

Rocky

If you keep your toe down to the ground and use it to try to flick the ball away, that is less dangerous that if you lift your toe up, show your studs, and stamp down. The force used was excessive given the circumstances.

If the only way to tackle someone is dangerous then you shouldn't make the tackle. It wasn't necessary for him to tackle Lucas whatsoever.

If you think going in with "studs up" isn't very worrying in terms of danger in many circumstances, maybe tell that to this bloke after he got tackled by Carlos Tevez?

Rocky

Disagree. any attempt to slide there and he cleans the player. Perez is moving forward so he has to go in the way he did or not at all. He probably shouldn't have made the tackle. but he did.

I've seen worse. The only thing to be annoyed about is that it was no worse than Xhaka's red card. Both were yellows at best.

Xhaka's was clearly a red card for violent conduct. The Reading one was much more reckless in terms of the likelihood of injury and I think it deserved a red card for serious foul play as I said above. The force used was clearly excessive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When you give success to stupid people, it makes them more stupid sometimes and not more intelligent.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom