• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey: BianconAaron

Do You Consider Aaron Ramsey An Arsenal Legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Bump

Unhealthy obsession with Aaron Ramsey
No, other managers might equal Wenger at player development but they don't surpass him. Name me one single player that has gone on to have a better time after leaving Arsenal. They might have won more(Nasri, fab, RVP etc etc), but they never exceeded their own level of play while at Arsenal.

And how many stagnate here........

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Fabianski is now a quality keeper, he's better than the likes of Stekelenburg, Boruc and Forster who all play for that tier below the big boys.

Honestly if I was Liverpool I'd look at bringing him in. Kind of wish we'd kept him, turns out of him and Szczesny they've gone in opposite directions.

carlito'sway

Established Member
plus it can be said that the fact that some of them failed is due to the fact that wenger is not that good at spotting talents as he is credited for

Dude, we get it. You don't like Wenger, that is fine. But your arguments would be more valuable and credible if you could at least give Arsène some credit where it is deserved. He is universally lauded for spotting talent, not even being able to accept that as a simple fact makes it hard to take you seriously.

blaise

Fabianski is now a quality keeper, he's better than the likes of Stekelenburg, Boruc and Forster who all play for that tier below the big boys.

Honestly if I was Liverpool I'd look at bringing him in. Kind of wish we'd kept him, turns out of him and Szczesny they've gone in opposite directions.

I really hope he gets another shot at a bigger team, after all he is probably just in his prime, really liked him, still do, he is twice the keeper if you compare him to Mingolet and that other dude, I d say he is also better than City keepers.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Carlos Vela , Serge Gnabry :lol: Jesus wept .

2012-2013 Season:

_67834649_crooks_mastercopy.jpg

Made team of the season in some outlets.
Arsenal fans might be surprised to see their Mexican misfit in a La Liga select Xl, but Vela has enjoyed an extremely impressive campaign for surprise package Sociedad. Operating chiefly from the right wing, he has offered a combination of skill and tenacity to record 14 league goals and provide another nine assists.

Did you know? Vela was Real Sociedad's top scorer with 14 goals in 35 games, after managing a total of just three goals in 29 Premier League appearances for Arsenal.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/22680405

2013-2014 Season:
1413629811014_wps_19_image001_png.jpg

Nominated for La Liga's Best Striker for the 2013-2014 season award along with Costa and Ronaldo.

Real Sociedad's last season in the Liga BBVA is also represented at the '2014 LFP Awards Ceremony' with the nomination of Carlos Vela. The Mexican striker exploded onto the scene last season with the Basque outfit, scoring 16 goals in 37 matches to record his best goal-scoring season since he came to Spanish football. Vela's prodigious pace and electricity make him one of the most dangerous strikers in Spanish football.

http://usa.laliga.es/en/news/nominees-for-the-best-striker-in-the-2013-14-liga-bbva-award
Chelsea summer signing Diego Costa and former Arsenal star Carlos Vela have been nominated alongside Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo for Best Striker in the La Liga award ceremony celebrating players' achievements last season.

Costa scored 27 goals in 35 La Liga games for Atletico Madrid last season before completing a £32m move to Stamford Bridge in the summer.

Meanwhile, Real Sociedad striker Vela, 25, was one of the biggest sensations in Spain during the last campaign, scoring 16 goals and grabbing 12 assists in 34 appearances.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...rd-la-liga-season-lionel-messi-left-cold.html

How going for a bench player bouncing from loan to loan to that in La Liga of all places gets a laugh out of you is quite surprising. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you forgot.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Calum Chambers :lol:
Jack Wilshere.
On Loan
Thierry Henry.
He was only ever as good as he was at Arsenal, when he left for Barca. And its a little silly to quote a player that practically owes their career to Wenger- unless silly is what you were going for.
Mathieu Debuchy
Injuries
He didn't really improve at Swansea, he just carried forward his Arsenal form of the last season. And goalie is one position that is relatively unaffected by coaching, so you can't really develop a goalie in the conventional sense.
Serge Gnabry
By all accounts, Wenger wanted him to sign on. If he was at Arsenal he would've got his chance, buy the boy got impatient.
Carlos Vela
I'm inclined to give you this, just because I'm feeling magnanimous. But playing for the fifth place team in la liga, isn't really a great vindication of his talent, or Wenger's mistake.
All in all, the fact that none of you could really name a player that went on to prosper after Wenger, proves my point. I could start naming players that have flourished under him, and ones who's careers have gone down the tosser once they left Arsenal but it'll just be extending a ridiculous argument . Player development is what Wenger excels at, its why he stayed so long at Arsenal. You could have a go at his other attributes, but to say that he was a poor developer of talent is a great disservice to both him and Arsenal.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I didn't laugh because of his talent or ability , but the bloke was immature as they came when we had him and he never settled in England . Happens . There is a reason none of the top la liga sides have gone near him .

You are right though he did get better after leaving us .

Hunter Zolomon

Dude, we get it. You don't like Wenger, that is fine. But your arguments would be more valuable and credible if you could at least give Arsène some credit where it is deserved. He is universally lauded for spotting talent, not even being able to accept that as a simple fact makes it hard to take you seriously.
He used to be, but not that good at spotting them now. BTW have u Wenger in guys ever admitted that Arsène has any faults?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I didn't laugh because of his talent or ability , but the bloke was immature as they came when we had him and he never settled in England . Happens . There is a reason none of the top la liga sides have gone near him .

You are right though he did get better after leaving us .
a bit like Forlan. never cut it in the Premier League.

carlito'sway

Established Member
He used to be, but not that good at spotting them now. BTW have u Wenger in guys ever admitted that Arsène has any faults?

If you read my posts, you will notice that I have regularly questioned or criticized some Arsène's decisions. I just don't do silly blanket statements, the likes of "Arsène does not know anything about tactics"or "is cluless" that are frankly stupid, specially considering the sources.
That "he used to be.... "comment is just an opinion. You don't lose your eyes for talent. The fact is that now it is more difficult to unearth raw talents with the number of agents and recruiters out there.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The man has plenty of faults, but Wenger is one of the top managers in getting the best out of average players and getting something extra from great ones. Like Samshere said, it's hard to see a player play better football then he did at back Arsenal. At best they stay par for the course.
Could it just be a result of Wenger giving players tactical and attacking freedom like they would get nowhere else. I notice that this example of yours only applies to attacking players.

Ashley Cole for example left Arsenal and went on to play winning football. Scezny is apparently doing better in Italy and every other defensive player we've moved on was already in decline/god awful.

Food for thought...

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Could it just be a result of Wenger giving players tactical and attacking freedom like they would get nowhere else. I notice that this example of yours only applies to attacking players.

Ashley Cole for example left Arsenal and went on to play winning football. Scezny is apparently doing better in Italy and every other defensive player we've moved on was already in decline/god awful.

Food for thought...

Mostly they are attacking talents, yes. It makes sense as you put it, since Arsenal under Wenger play more attacking football (even when in games where we should be playing in a much more pragmatic fashion) and I feel that's where our academy and scouting focus was most prevalent up until a couple of years ago.

I'd say Ashley is one of the defenders that did better, yes. But if you take Clichy, Kolo and Sagna at City, TV and Song at Barcelona (daylight robery that was), even Gallas after he left us, they all played at an equal or worse level then they did at Arsenal.

I'll be the first to say that most of them were not the greatest defenders out there, but they did a job at Arsenal and bar Gallas, all left during a time where they would be reaching their prime as players (if memory serves).

They may have won more, of that there's little doubt, but they didn't exactly set the world alight.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Mostly they are attacking talents, yes. It makes sense as you put it, since Arsenal under Wenger play more attacking football (even when in games where we should be playing in a much more pragmatic fashion) and I feel that's where our academy and scouting focus was most prevalent up until a couple of years ago.

I'd say Ashley is one of the defenders that did better, yes. But if you take Clichy, Kolo and Sagna at City, TV and Song at Barcelona (daylight robery that was), even Gallas after he left us, they all played at an equal or worse level then they did at Arsenal.

I'll be the first to say that most of them were not the greatest defenders out there, but they did a job at Arsenal and bar Gallas, all left during a time where they would be reaching their prime as players (if memory serves).

They may have won more, of that there's little doubt, but they didn't exactly set the world alight.
I'm sure we let Kolo go after his best days were past him? The same definitely applies for Bac. Clichy, TV and Song were all liabilities before we sold them!

As for Gallas no idea, I know a Sp**s fan who said he did alright for them but I can't vouch for that.

I'm sure we let Kolo go after his best days were past him?

He did stay for long time at top club though.

I mean there were moments in his last season with Liverpool where their fans actually thought he was their best defender. Not it is saying much because Liverpool defense is ****...

I mean we let him go after his best days was over and he has had 8 years still at top level football. Good job to him to keep going and remain focused on his career I guess?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I'm sure we let Kolo go after his best days were past him? The same definitely applies for Bac. Clichy, TV and Song were all liabilities before we sold them!

As for Gallas no idea, I know a Sp**s fan who said he did alright for them but I can't vouch for that.

This may be all wrong but at the time I remember during crazy Bill's time as captain he created giant rifts in the dressing room. Kolo was still quality for a few years at City in a pretty average side.

One of these apparently was him falling out with Kolo so badly it got to the stage where they couldn't be at the same club so Wenger had to sell one, so he chose to move Kolo on.

Always been weirdly fascinated by Gallas, he had the ego of an Henry or Bergkamp. One of the few out of control players Wenger couldn't rein in. Once saw him when I was in London as a teenager, asked him for an autograph and he told me to f*ck off. Strange, strange man.

Actually just found the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/apr/23/kolo-toure-william-gallas-feud?client=safari

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Once saw him when I was in London as a teenager, asked him for an autograph and he told me to f*ck off. Strange, strange man.
:lol::lol::lol:

Absolute nutter Gallas.

What you said about Kolo is reinforcing my point. Starting to think attacking players excel under Wenger because of how much freedom they have, the same freedom that costs us points and titles in the long run.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

He was the difference after the red card. He held the team together both on and off the ball, the last 7 minutes were crazy but he was having a 10/10 performance post red card. No way I believe his head is turned, that was his Arsenal passion bursting out everywhere. Absolutely brilliant.

billyf

He seems to be in a really good shape. Makes runs all over the pitch both to support the ball and get in good positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom