• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

9jagooner

The 'mentality' that you talk about came with buying players that can instil confidence in the team and revamping most of the squad. Let's not pretend like this isn't Klopp's 4th season in charge.
It's not just the players, a large percentage of it is the manager. Football is a team game. It's the reason so called small teams in the league can face up to big teams like City and get a result while we struggle

9jagooner

By the way, I'm not in any way putting down Unai. I'm still of the opinion that he needs time and support to build the team he wants. So far, I'm impressed with his signings - Torreira, Guendozi, Sokratis, Leno.

sammy89

I'm serious.
If Origi was in our team, he'll probably be playing just like Iwobi. In fact, technically, I rate Iwobi ahead of him.
Take out Van Dyke, Mane and maybe one or two others, the rest of it is just coaching and mentality.

That's the thing, you think Klopp took these players and talked them into having the heart for these type of games. But it's scientifically been proven that aggression is a genetic quality and you just have to be able to spot it in players before you buy them.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It goes in cycles. Was only a few years ago my Liverpool supporting buddy was lamenting how they constantly bungled signings, had a managerial merry go round, etc without ever winning anything. And he was all full of praise for how stable and steady Arsenal were with Wenger in charge, how he'd made our club thrive, etc.
All well and good but where’s the cycle where we get a 90+ point league season and two CL finals in a row?!

Lakersgooner24

Established Member
This is some stupid ass entitled thinking. It is very possible for a big club to sink into perpetual mediocrity. There is nothing mathematical about getting back to the top, this isn't American sports where the non performing clubs get a transfer boost and there's no relegation.
Just have to look at Milan, a club used to sitting amongst the footballing elite next to the likes of Madrid, Barca, Bayern, etc., who are only a little over a decade removed from winning their 7th CL, to see how a giant falls into mediocrity. It all starts with poor management from the top, which should sound familiar to us.

Liverpool got very lucky to get out of their predicament in that short period of time. Pretty much every major decision they have made post Brendan has ended up being spot on which is nothing short of miraculous. Same for Sp**s to a lesser extent. You can't rest on your laurels at this level of competition or you'll be left behind. Us and United can attest to that.

Last edited:

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Hey guys, what goes around comes around.

I remember watching us lose to West Ham and Valencia in a week, then Brady leaving, as a kid on T.V. and crying about it. Thought my football life was over.

Which it pretty much was till that Milk Cup final against Liverpool in 87, which I saw for reasons too weird to explain from the press box at the old Wembley.

Been to every final since, save for Parma away, thanks to a work commitment.

Funnily enough I’m going to Arsenal this Friday for the 40th anniversary lunch of the 79 final - on Terry Neil’s table apparently - so that’s kind of full circle.

Was arguing with my wife about the merits/demerits of Baku this evening - I’m determined to see us win a euro trophy of some sort live.

We could end up playing Pool or god forbid spuds in the super cup or whatever they call it, these days.

Mudi

Not in the least tough for an Arsenal fan. An Arsenal fan always wants his team to win, especially to win trophies.
Looks like it is a tough decision. The opinions are 50/50.

I would rather not win the EL to see Liverpool or Sp**s to lose the CL final. Who remembers Utd winning the EL in 2016? Nobody cared but Chelsea winning the CL before us is still hard to take.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Looks like it is a tough decision. The opinions are 50/50.

I would rather not win the EL to see Liverpool or Sp**s to lose the CL final. Who remembers Utd winning the EL in 2016? Nobody cared but Chelsea winning the CL before us is still hard to take.
Not tough at all. Go the Emirates Stadium and ask your question there. On the internet people spend too much time looking jealously at others rather than enjoying their own triumphs.

I follow football to watch the Arsenal not to give a **** about what anyone else does but to prefer for Arsenal not to win something for some fake trade-off for a team you don't like not winning? Bizarre. You think the Madrid, Barcelona fans appreciate your support when they win because they've beaten someone you don't like? they don't give a ****.

It's a small team mentality to concern yourself with your rivals losing rather than winning yourself. Sp uds used to be like that with us for years, precisely because they are a small team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom