• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I wanted him to sign the extension because we were already losing one great player and he had a decent season to that point.

I never expected him to drop off like that, the regression was already evident in the second part of the season but he totally fell off the cliff this year.

He's a failed investment at this point, he doesn't justify the money we're paying him so the only sensible thing is to part ways. I don't mind if we even have to pay part of his wages as long as he's replaced by someone that can offer what we need.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

My only worry about getting rid of Özil is us rebuilding then getting to a stage where we need a player like him. Also are we going to reinvest the wages wisely?

He’s dropped off for us but no doubt that he still walks into some of the better sides in the world (depending on their play style).

say yes

forum master baiter
My only worry about getting rid of Özil is us rebuilding then getting to a stage where we need a player like him. Also are we going to reinvest the wages wisely?

He’s dropped off for us but no doubt that he still walks into some of the better sides in the world (depending on their play style).

Even ignoring his decline, Özil doesn’t walk into any of the top sides in the world for the same reason that he’s not a vital player for any rebuild here: top sides don't play with a '10' anymore. It's an extinct position in modern football which relies much more on the collective than any single creative force.

To say Mesut's a dying breed would be an understatement. Players who were the hottest properties in football a couple of years ago - the likes of Coutinho, Isco, Rodriguez etc - will all be joining him on the transfer list this summer. The only creative midfielders who aren't going extinct are the ones who have managed to adapt to play a deeper (and more intense) game: De Bruyne / the Silvas at City and Eriksen at Sp**s being the key examples. And those players are the exception rather than the rule. Liverpool just picked up 97 points and are in the CL final with Jordan Henderson as their primary midfield creator ffs.

Gunner-Union

Def seems modern football is leaning towards a dm with a couple of hard working b2b mids who offer plenty at both ends with him and then a good striker and very good wingers.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Wonder if there will be a resurgence in number 10's at some stage? These things tend to go in cycles.

I think there will be, 4-2-3-1 came about as a way to counter 4-4-2 and then 4-3-3 in turn to counter that.

The ten is still used creatively by many teams, Dele Alli, Griezmann Dybala and even Benzema to an extent when he dropped deeper to facilitate Bale and Ronaldo played as Medíapuntas, number 10’s with an emphasis on goal scoring.

We did it to an extent with Ramsey playing in that role when we had PEA and Lacazette often split wide but high exploiting the gaps between CB and fullbacks.

I think there’s still a lot of number 10s out there coming through but due to the 4-3-3 often having a six sitting right where the ten used to operate it means you have to put him in different areas, like some have said, City have dropped KDB and Silva deep to control the midfield battle while Leicester and Atletico have moved Maddison and Saul out into wide areas where they’ll get lots of space in counter attacks.

LG10

Can’t believe this sack of **** is still being defended by fans after a 2/10 season. Was good for 6 weeks the season before then went to complete garbage since the contract was signed.

There would be no negatives in selling him but I doubt we’ll be able to unfortunately.

Ripe Banana

-About as productive as Iwobi
-We all want Iwobi gone because he isn't productive enough
-Özil is on 3x Iwobis' wage, why tf would anyone want him staying?

Gunner-Union

I think if u have modern 10 that have to be adept at defending and getting involved more. At city all there players including wingers help out in defense, you’ll David Silva and Bernardo and kdb tracking back and getting in opponents way yes they may not do crunching tackles but they bug and jockey opposition away from trouble and track runners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom