• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Özil and Cazorla in tandem so far....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Football has a habit of teasing you from time to time with what should be ideal combinations and partnerships on paper that, for one reason or another, just doesn't seem to work out in practice.

Is it me or does something look like it's not quite working?

I know it's early days, and both have plausible reasons for their inconsistency lately if we were to look at them individually (fatigue or rust), but Özil seems to have had less influence by his own standards since Cazorla came back. Cazorla has also looked out of sorts after looking on the way back against Liverpool.

Özil, I've noticed, can be seen down our right more often that not, which wasn't the case before Caz came back, and on the whole is far less involved. Cazorla all of a sudden looks a bit lost and keeps popping up in strange positions too, as if he's intentionally trying not to cramp Mesut.

Early days, but does anyone else see a bit of a problem developing? Wouldn't that be ****ing sods law?!

Godwin1

Very well-known
Re: Özil and Cazorla in tandem so far....

Yeah I get where you're coming from mate, Özil in particular has been pretty average since Cazorla came back, but I think it's to early to say if they don't work.

As you said it could be one of, or a combination of, different factors. Özil to me looks tired, I think we may have benifited not playing him against Palace. Lets wait a while and see how it turns out.

Song Billong

Both are ball dominant players, so it's too be expected that their influence (individually) will be affected when both are playing - especially when they're both just starting to play together.

I read a stat that indicated that Özil is leading the league in successful passes in the final third... Which was the stat Cazorla totally dominated in last season!

blaze_of_glory

I think they just need more time. Not like we've been struggling as they adapt to playing together, which is a bonus.

Anzac

Established Member

Özil is being squeezed for room in the centre as he's missing having a WF create the pocket wide for him to exploit, and he's also lacking runners ahead of the play on the counter for him to use his vision & passing.

Cazorla benefits atm because Özil draws attention off him.

Once we get the likes of Walcott/Podolski playing WF/SS we'll be able to see how the pieces fit better. In the mean time the key is that we actually continue to make the best of any small advantage we may generate - in this case Cazorla's freedom.

blrgooner

Established Member

I think its too early to say that they have not worked together. We have seen them play together for only a few games now and that too after Cazorla came back from injury.
BTW I think we looked way better in the home game against Dortmund after Cazorla came on. The away game against Dortmund was a tough one in which we couldn`t get Cazorla and Özil involved in the right areas.

Camel

Both Özil and Santi will need time to gel. Don't forget that Özil didn't have a pre-season with us because of the last minute transfer.

Santi played a winger almost all his career, I don't see a problem.

Mastadon

Established Member

I'm sure it will work out both players are highly intelligent, fantastic technically and versatile enough. Its not like the Lampard-Gerrard-Scholes for England problem I genuinely believe Santi and Özil will be great together. Like Anzac said one we got Theo/Podolski back on the other wing there will be more space for them both to do their magic.

TheLoneFalcon

Cake Addict

Too early to judge, at the moment a lot of our players look a bit behind what they have been earlier and it's hard not to look at our schedule. After the break is when we'll see what's what, how they combine when they're fresh and have a direct outlet.

k24bfan

Time will tell but hopefully it will work out. I can see a bit of the concern though.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

There's already been some fantastic link up between them. Özil hasn't been red hot before or after Cazorla came back.

Santi I think isn't firing on all cylinders just yet and neither is Özil but it'll work fine

TheGlitch

Shouldn't be treated as a contest between the two. To link up the way we might fantasise about is to get in each other way.

The best thing about the way its going right now, is that its ramsey form thats carrying us atm. But when all our best players are on form together there is a danger of them falling off form together.

What ever that isn't being shown now is a blessing I tell you guys because come February/march we are going to want that extra gear they have.

TheGlitch

Shouldn't be treated as a contest between the two. To link up the way we might fantasise about is to get in each other way.

The best thing about the way its going right now, is that its ramsey form thats carrying us atm. But when all our best players are on form together there is a danger of them falling off form together.

What ever that isn't being shown now is a blessing I tell you guys because come February/march we are going to want that extra gear they have.

yuvken

Established Member

blaze_of_glory said:
I think they just need more time. Not like we've been struggling as they adapt to playing together, which is a bonus.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Its need time Cazorla still not back to his last season Level and Özil still settle in to the team they will get better and better in the time and of course when walcott AOC and Podolski back we will see some sexy football.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

blaze_of_glory said:

They absolutely need more time before anything becomes clearer. We haven't been 'struggling' results wise, but we have toiled for long periods without creating. Possession has been excellent, though.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard

I think its working very well, they are both ball players, and they want the ball, teams will men mark Özil but we still have Cazorla. I do think this is working well because we have 2 creators instead of 1.

Caz19

yousif_arsenal said:
Its need time Cazorla still not back to his last season Level and Özil still settle in to the team they will get better and better in the time and of course when walcott AOC and Podolski back we will see some sexy football.

Walcott,Chamberlain and Podolski won't make us play "sexy" or more beautiful football. In terms of beautiful link up play and Wengerball, Cazorla-Özil-Rosicky is the best lineup we could have.

With Walcott in the side instead of Rosicky our passing will be less fluid and he will break down some of our moves, but it's worth it because instead we'll have a willing runner who will get in behind defenses and cause havoc with his pace. He's also a clinical finisher which makes him doubly dangerous.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

HollandGooner said:
I think its working very well, they are both ball players, and they want the ball, teams will men mark Özil but we still have Cazorla. I do think this is working well because we have 2 creators instead of 1.

That's the theory, and it's great, but in practice (for whatever reasons we've discussed) it hasn't looked that way so far. IMO anyway.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Its early days, both are great players but both are not at their best yet. Once they both get there things will become clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom