• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: Yutility

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
@MutableEarth I believe Wenger thinks he is ready too, but he wont change his order now and will give play time to Elneny and Coq, with Ramsey back soon also, even Oxlade now.
It really looks like Özil is not only the star who doesnt give us star presence, but he also changes our set up and chances to play 3 man mid which would work best for every central midfielder we have.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
We've seen the best and worst of Wenger with a midfielder on the wing.

That suggests that when it hasn't worked it's more to do with the quality of the midfielder.

the best being 03/04?

Neither Pires nor Freddie were central midfielder playmaker types

Freddie did some games at cm for both us and "us" (my national team) but he was not the playmaker type, more b2b if anything, a fast mover of the ball both in passing and driving

Pires was frekkin proto Cronaldo for all I care

Ever since it has been diminutive playmaker types
except for Sanchez I guess but he likes the centre to but atleast is a direct to goal kinda guy

but Pires and Freddie were direct, pacey and ran and coupled that with great and good technique

it is like Wenger forgot that we need the miles from the players foremost

Looking at other teams they have highly succesful players in the past that doesn't have the technique and skills that rival our Hlebs, Nasris, Arshavin etc etc

What we need are strikers that run like hell that we convert to wingers
A guy like Kuyt would have been great for Arsenal

not playmakers stuck in the wings that can't be arsed

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
At this point I kinda want Jack back and place him on the wing

he has got the enginge and has a long range passing ability and functional technique

yes not a great scoring record but if he is physically fit he should rack some more up

BobP

Memri Fan
Freddie was a player I always loved.

It's difficult to pin exactly the sort of 'winger' he was.

He wasn't absolutely exceptional with the ball at his feet, especially relative to the players he played with. But he provided excellent contrast because he was very, very intelligent with his runs. He was of course also an exceptional finisher.

He was almost like a wide poacher, a bit Theo like. I think what helped him integrate however was the fact that he moved from central positions to wide positions, which begs the question, does anybody recall how Freddie fared when he did play through the center? Because I recall him saying he used to beg Wenger to play him through there.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

the best being 03/04?

Neither Pires nor Freddie were central midfielder playmaker types

Freddie did some games at cm for both us and "us" (my national team) but he was not the playmaker type, more b2b if anything, a fast mover of the ball both in passing and driving

Pires was frekkin proto Cronaldo for all I care

Ever since it has been diminutive playmaker types
except for Sanchez I guess but he likes the centre to but atleast is a direct to goal kinda guy

but Pires and Freddie were direct, pacey and ran and coupled that with great and good technique

it is like Wenger forgot that we need the miles from the players foremost

Looking at other teams they have highly succesful players in the past that doesn't have the technique and skills that rival our Hlebs, Nasris, Arshavin etc etc

What we need are strikers that run like hell that we convert to wingers
A guy like Kuyt would have been great for Arsenal

not playmakers stuck in the wings that can't be arsed
Freddie was an interesting one, I think Wenger has spent ten years trying to make Theo into Freddie.

Wenger has always preferred one direct winger and another one who participates in the build up and creates. That's what I meant by a midfielder.

The likes of Robben, Hazard and Reus are all natural widemen but have the ability to play that 'midfielder' on the wing role for Wenger.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Freddie was a player I always loved.

It's difficult to pin exactly the sort of 'winger' he was.

He wasn't absolutely exceptional with the ball at his feet, especially relative to the players he played with. But he provided excellent contrast because he was very, very intelligent with his runs. He was of course also an exceptional finisher.

He was almost like a wide poacher, a bit Theo like. I think what helped him integrate however was the fact that he moved from central positions to wide positions, which begs the question, does anybody recall how Freddie fared when he did play through the center? Because I recall him saying he used to beg Wenger to play him through there.

Ljungberg was essentially a better Ramsey playing in the wings, I am of the opinion that had Ramsey bothered to stick to learning how to play in the wings he could have developed into becoming as good if not better than Ljungberg.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Ljungberg was essentially a better Ramsey playing in the wings, I am of the opinion that had Ramsey bothered to stick to learning how to play in the wings he could have developed into becoming as good if not better than Ljungberg.
Freddie's lightning pace was the key difference. He also wasn't a self-serving glory hunter but it's too early to get into that.:lol:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...tic-and-deceitful-says-Freddie-Ljungberg.html

http://www.thelocal.se/20111117/37410

I can't get my hands on it but he was a bit of a difficult character. I remember reading somewhere that he'd clashed with almost everybody in training.
Damn.:lol:

Sounds completely opposite to the Wenger we know, he seems ruthless AF according to Freddie. You just never know who to believe these days. I was referring more to Ramsey's need to be the star man ever since that season.

BobP

Memri Fan
Damn.:lol:

Sounds completely opposite to the Wenger we know, he seems ruthless AF according to Freddie. You just never know who to believe these days. I was referring more to Ramsey's need to be the star man ever since that season.

Just on that point, I remember an interview Ramsey did where he called Özil the 'teachers pet' because he was always in the bosses office asking for and getting things.

Seemed a tad resentful, must be eying that number 10 spot.

I can already see it:

1. Özil leaves.
2. Ramsey announces that he feels that he can take over.
3. Walcott backs up Ramsey.
4. Goes on to be an absolute eyesore for the season.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wenger has essentially moved away from a philosophy that was successful then and would be successful now.

We had pace and power all over the pitch. Since then we have moved to diminutive playmakers.

Freddie was a right sided midfielder who had pace and work rate with very good off the ball movement. The most similar player to him that I can think of even recent times is Guily. Pedro is quite similar in his movement.

However if you look for a team to really have a genuine title challenge, you need high quality wide players. We don't have one wide player at the club.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I really don't like this thread title. I regret giving @Aevius my blessing to make this thread.

So many potential Ainsley Harriott references.

Aevi

Hale End FC
I really don't like this thread title. I regret giving @Aevius my blessing to make this thread.

So many potential Ainsley Harriott references.
Give some actual suggestions instead of complaining you whiny little sh*t

Top Bottom