• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Iwobi's passing/possession skill is a big question mark if you're thinking about him in midfield. He would need to adjust to being to focal point of possession - constantly making himself available, quickly receiving and distributing the ball. If you look at his passes per 90 mins last season it's barely more than half of what Özil had playing the #10. (30 vs 56 passes per 90 - I think Özil's contribution to possession and build-up is criminally underrated here but that's another story). Not saying Iwobi doesn't have the skills for it but it would be a huge change in responsibility for him. Wouldn't mind seeing him play as the forward-most CM in a 4-3-3 in preseason or league cup games but I hardly think it would be an easy fit.
He's got insane upper body strength, and quick feet so it's very hard to knock him off the ball but his distribution skills are terrible. Could be a good carrier of the ball from deep but doesn't have the stamina to run all the way back to defend for more than 70 minutes. He's basically half of a perfect box-to-box player.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
People made the exact same mistake with Ox. He wasn't smart enough to play central midfield, he always gave the ball away, Ox is a winger, no Ox should be a wingback.

Ox had all the ability to play central midfield in a 3. People would still have taken Ceballos over him. Yet look where he plays for Liverpool. Now people are writing off Iwobi, even though he hasn't been given the chance to play there, but when he has, he has been a much better player.

Ox has barely done anything at Liverpool, people go on like he’s playing amazing for them but had a slow start, a few decent games then got injured. Just like he would at Arsenal, he’ll never be a starter for them.

Iwobi is much better than Ox but neither are what we need in our midfield.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He's lucky the keeper was a lemon. Scored, but would have liked to see a more clinical finish if I was looking for confidence in him next season. Hit and hoped. Good on him though.

Edit: I'll give him benefit of the doubt coz he kept it super low and may have hit the percentage shot with the defender in close proximity.

GOAT finish.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He's lucky the keeper was a lemon. Scored, but would have liked to see a more clinical finish if I was looking for confidence in him next season. Hit and hoped. Good on him though.

Edit: I'll give him benefit of the doubt coz he kept it super low and may have hit the percentage shot with the defender in close proximity.

GOAT finish.

Saw your post before the edit and thought it was a bit harsh. Putting the ball between the keepers legs and sliding it under the keepers body as they dive are very hard finishes to pull off. If he did his usually try and bent it into the corner with no power the keeper would have saved it.

However the question is whether he meant it or not. Will be a big boost to his confidence. He needs to be trusted with a central role, as does AMN.

I'm still backing the profile below of a 3 man midfield:

Iwobi/ESR - half turn ball carrier
AMN/ Willock- physical engine
Torreira/ Guendouzi/ Xhaka - passers

I wouldn't necessarily buy a midfielder. If we do it would need to be the physical engine, not the other 2.

WF, CB, LB and back up RB should be the priority.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Saw your post before the edit and thought it was a bit harsh. Putting the ball between the keepers legs and sliding it under the keepers body as they dive are very hard finishes to pull off. If he did his usually try and bent it into the corner with no power the keeper would have saved it.

However the question is whether he meant it or not. Will be a big boost to his confidence. He needs to be trusted with a central role, as does AMN.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a midfielder. If we do it would need to be the physical engine, not the other 2.

WF, CB, LB and back up RB should be the priority.

He has done nothing to warrant a midfield starter position. He's basically had a free run as a starter in the first team and has done next to nothing in the last 3 seasons. Would he start so regularly for the other Top 6 teams?

Hope he comes good but it is absolutely ridiculous to say that he should start in midfield at this point.

Last edited:

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Sell him....15 million to Roma. I think he offers more than Özil, but we should move him while we can. Does not appear he will take his next step with us. I think he could be a star in Seria A.

GoonerJay24

WF, CB, LB and back up RB should be the priority.[/QUOTl

Maitland Niles is more of a deeplying passer than a box-box engine midfielder. Would swap him and Torreira.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I have lots of time for Arsenal youngsters, also was one of the few to always keep faith in Ox.. but Iwobi seriously needs to step up. Don't sell him yet, unless a ridiculous offer comes in. But not for 15m.

ASIF

I have a feeling Iwobi will have a breakthrough season.He is our only winger as thing stands and only player who can run and beat a player one on one.Just need to find that finish and he can score 12 to 15 league goals a season.

OSBK

Established Member
Iwobi in the middle with xhaka is a car crash waiting to happen. I think people have forgotten iwobi on the wing and how he didnt track back and let runners go off him, or the times he gave the ball away on the edge of our box.

De bryne is the benchmark and iwobi doesnt come anywhere near close.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I honestly thought so too last season. I want us to give chances to our youth players, but if they don't kick on they need to be sold (or loaned but that ship has sailed for Iwobi).

The upside is I believe he is not on high wages so would be a cheap backup, but if we're offered anything near €25m, I'd be in favor of selling and giving the next prospect in line a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom