• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: Less Ox, More Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Why exactly do people assume that Ox has poor football IQ, could someone actually explain it other than just claim it?

If you look at Ox's successful plays you'll notice that it's pretty clever so I don't see it personally, the issue is more that when he does something that doesn't come off it makes him look dumb, but the thought might have been good even so.

novarek

Spot on, this football IQ thing is a must for making it as a pro. As for those previous posts, you lot have been here around for too long to make that silly discussion between football IQ and the normal definition of IQ

The thing with Ox is that despite clearly being capable of making great passes, dribbles and shots from range his technique betrays him most of the time, pretty much the same thing that happens with Ramsey when he's playing ****ty. If you pay attention you can see the guy making the correct decision, but with a poor execution. I'd like to believe consistent gametime in a defined role can hone that thing out, but even if he shows great form (and he's making some crucial stuff this season) he won't get a spot here at the moment.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Why exactly do people assume that Ox has poor football IQ, could someone actually explain it other than just claim it?

If you look at Ox's successful plays you'll notice that it's pretty clever so I don't see it personally, the issue is more that when he does something that doesn't come off it makes him look dumb, but the thought might have been good even so.
Football IQ is basically decision making IMO. To know when to make a pass or when to go on a dribble. When to come short and when to make a run. Now if you have insane skills it won't matter that much. But if it's someone like Alli or Muller who aren't as naturally gifted, finding that little gap of space to exploit, being aware when the defender has switched off makes their game so potent. For examples of people with natural ability but poor footballing IQ you can have a look at Adel taarabt or Traore at Middleborough.
Ox has actually picked up in his decision making, he has had several telling contributions this season which he might not have made last year.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I'm not sure Ronaldo (CR7) or Maradona are exactly footballing geniuses either. They're players who made their names on physical ability, natural flair, and dedication, which can be good enough imo.
I didn't actually say you have to be a footballing genius I said that you can't be lacking in football IQ and still be world class.

Ronaldo may not be as 'smart' as Iniesta but you can't look at his game and say he's not an intelligent footballer. His positioning, the runs he makes, the type and placement of his shots are all top class. Almost every decision he makes on the pitch is the correct one. His greed can overrule that at times but more often than not he makes a pass when he has to. His assist numbers are very impressive but it goes under the radar.

As for his young days it's well documented amongst his ex-teammates that he was more focused on beating players and showboating. Sometimes I think Ronaldo's dedication to his craft overshadows how insanely talented he is, remember why United signed him in the first place? He ran rings around them as a teenager and the whole squad begged Fergie to sign him!

As for Maradona....mate. It's Diego Maradona!

Last edited:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Ox makes the wrong decision way too often to be called an intelligent footballer. Every player gets things right sometimes.

skip spence

This was more of a " from the top of my head" pick, and probably not a great one. He's just always come off as a pretty dull bulb to me though, despite being a good player.

Ronaldo is the one I feel more strongly about as not being particularly "football intelligent". He's a hard-working top athlete that has played in many strong teams to provide him with good service, giving him plenty of chances at goal. I don't find however that he makes particularly smart decisions or that he works well with the team (ie being too selfish), which are components of "high footballing IQ".
I disagree. Ronaldo is a GOAT not least because he has tweaked his game and adapted thoughout his career for maximum effectiveness. Used to be more wasteful in younger days, taking lots of wild shots and show-boating without purpose but now he's all business with great movement and decision-making in the final third.

Or, what @Trilly says

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
This was more of a " from the top of my head" pick, and probably not a great one. He's just always come off as a pretty dull bulb to me though, despite being a good player.

Ronaldo is the one I feel more strongly about as not being particularly "football intelligent". He's a hard-working top athlete that has played in many strong teams to provide him with good service, giving him plenty of chances at goal. I don't find however that he makes particularly smart decisions or that he works well with the team (ie being too selfish), which are components of "high footballing IQ".
Maradona made a football career thanks to his intelligence on the field. he was a creative force more than a tecnical one.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You wonder when Wenger speaks about young players being far too comfortable these days if he has someone particular in mind.

I'd say Chamberlain fits that description more than most.

Sykes

Football IQ is basically decision making IMO. To know when to make a pass or when to go on a dribble. When to come short and when to make a run. Now if you have insane skills it won't matter that much. But if it's someone like Alli or Muller who aren't as naturally gifted, finding that little gap of space to exploit, being aware when the defender has switched off makes their game so potent. For examples of people with natural ability but poor footballing IQ you can have a look at Adel taarabt or Traore at Middleborough.
Ox has actually picked up in his decision making, he has had several telling contributions this season which he might not have made last year.
Exactly. Ox has everything in his locker, just doesn't know how to use it. That's his problem...maybe he needs a coach like pep or he just isn't intelligent enough to utilize his abilities to the maximum. Say what you want, but I think having a coach like Wenger who gives you the platform to express yourself should be a players dream. Some need to be held by the hand unfortunately.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Exactly. Ox has everything in his locker, just doesn't know how to use it. That's his problem...maybe he needs a coach like pep or he just isn't intelligent enough to utilize his abilities to the maximum. Say what you want, but I think having a coach like Wenger who gives you the platform to express yourself should be a players dream. Some need to be held by the hand unfortunately.
Exactly.

If you're a WC potential young player then Wenger is your guy. Anything below and his lack of detailed coaching can often leave you in a mess.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Ox makes the wrong decision way too often to be called an intelligent footballer. Every player gets things right sometimes.
I don't think he has this season and even so decision making in itself is a skill that requires practice, but I wouldn't call that football IQ because knowing what the best option is and actually executing it is not as simple and neither the same thing, and with that in mind it's unfair to imply that every good thing he has done has been a fluke.

If he can do something well but at times he does it poorly then that comes down to practice, repetition and form, not luck.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

I don't think he has this season and even so decision making in itself is a skill that requires practice, but I wouldn't call that football IQ because knowing what the best option is and actually executing it is not as simple and neither the same thing, and with that in mind it's unfair to imply that every good thing he has done has been a fluke.

If he can do something well but at times he does it poorly then that comes down to practice, repetition and form, not luck.
It's not just decision making but that's a big part of it. It's just about understanding the game, it's quite hard to put into words tbh.

I never implied that every good thing he's done has been a fluke but I don't know what else to say. Ox isn't a smart footballer.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

It has already been said, but still, CR7 lacking football IQ, seriously? He's probably one of the best players in the world from that aspect. Do you think his physicality is the reason he surprises defenders every single game for the last 10 years with his runs? There is no defender strong enough to keep up with him, or smart enough? This is probably one of the worst statements I've read on this forum. Ronaldo has been horrible and borderline useless on the ball the last years, if he doesn't have the intelligence to change his game and still put up those numbers he would have been chased out of town by now.

Sykes

Exactly.

If you're a WC potential young player then Wenger is your guy. Anything below and his lack of detailed coaching can often leave you in a mess.
Maybe that's why he hasn't always been that keen on English players.

Sykes

It has already been said, but still, CR7 lacking football IQ, seriously? He's probably one of the best players in the world from that aspect. Do you think his physicality is the reason he surprises defenders every single game for the last 10 years with his runs? There is no defender strong enough to keep up with him, or smart enough? This is probably one of the worst statements I've read on this forum. Ronaldo has been horrible and borderline useless on the ball the last years, if he doesn't have the intelligence to change his game and still put up those numbers he would have been chased out of town by now.
Yep cr7 is definitely an intelligent player. He has adapted much better than I thought he would as he's gotten older. Heck, I think for all the criticism he gets, Theo is an intelligent player. People are just disappointed he isnt/wasn't as technically gifted as Henry.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
FFS Oxlade-Chamberlain finally develops a killer mentality after banging Perrie Edwards and now he's whipped by her. Was foreseeing double figures in his future after exceeding my 5 goals, 5 assists predictions, but now I just expect a long term injury.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

My feeling is if Ox wants it and works hard enough he will be a top player . By the way part of his being slack is that twice now he picked up a niggle coming on as a sub. Which means he ain't even warming thoroughly enough .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom