• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,752
  • Views 1,154,959

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Mate. Derby County are a championship team wherever their youth team might play.

Saka looks like a real prospect but most of this team will join Arsenal legends such as Alberto Mendez Rodriguez, Jamie Day and Samuel Galindo.

We'd be better off selling them all (minus Saka) to Swansea for 25M and buying as many of the derby boys as possible with that.
Which is still great business. If we can produce every year one player like Nelson, ESR or Saka and give them a proper run in the first team before deciding if we are going to keep them or sell them, I'm more than happy.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yep. Which has shown ours up for what it is, second best.
Derby's players are further ahead in their development. This isn't even U23 football, it's U18. There's a great deal of talent in this team and they came up against a team just as talented and fell short in a one-off game. They've beaten every other team they came across this season and scored almost 90 goals this season, more than any other team in the entire country at this level. Recognize that this is part of their development and we'll get a clearer picture of where they are in a few years. Most of these guys are still 17. There'll be similar tests ahead and we'll see how they respond then. Till then, I'm backing them all the way.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Mate. Derby County are a championship team wherever their youth team might play.

Saka looks like a real prospect but most of this team will join Arsenal legends such as Alberto Mendez Rodriguez, Jamie Day and Samuel Galindo.

We'd be better off selling them all (minus Saka) to Swansea for 25M and buying as many of the derby boys as possible with that.

OddPettyCoot-small.gif

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
It frustrates me when people reckon Eddie is physically unprepared for first team football - it's like the last problem he has. His acceleration and hold-up play are very good elements of his game now. He really needs an opportunity. I hope he gets a very good loan next season - I want to see how he does over 20+ games in a first team environment, I almost don't care where now (Bundesliga, Championship etc).

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Gilmour is leaving apparently, will be interesting to see where he goes.
My guess is possibly Rangers, as he's quite the avid Gers fan (being a Scot and all).

Will be missed by the U23 team - don't think there was a particularly viable pathway to the first team for Charlie Gilmour but he was definitely a talent. Quite similar to McGuane as a DM, physical and very comfy technically. The question obviously is what the makeup of the U23 midfield will be next season and how the players who get the nod will progress. Matt Smith will probably be the one that has next - 2nd year now, captain of the U18s. Great passer and technique - can be overwhelmed physically but I think he'll likely be partnered by Olayinka, who's been a regular at U23 level now and can better protect Smith physically while not lacking in the technical department. I'd like to see him deployed in a similar way to Willock.

It will be interesting to see how the U23 team looks next season - could be vastly different. Nketiah, Willock and Amaechi will surely be looking for more 1st team minutes, while John-Jules could be a loan pick-up for an EFL team next season. Gilmour potentially leaving and Sheaf could also be gone too. It'll be a completely different looking U23 team.

Players will surely be talking about rare chances here and looking to get them elsewhere. Nelson and Smith-Rowe will probably watch Emery sign Nkunku and that will make them want to go on loan. Willock and Nketiah will feel this season wasted and will be looking for loan. Sheaf and Gilmour might be gone. Amiechi and Daley-Cambell will feel like there is no chance for them here.

If we are not careful, we might be looking at one of the best generation we have produced vanishing in front of our eyes.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Gilmour is leaving apparently, will be interesting to see where he goes.

I'm a bit gutted about this one to be honest. It was always going to be difficult for him to break through but he's a fellow countryman of mine and I always hoped he'd make it. I've a feeling he'll end up at Rangers.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Players will surely be talking about rare chances here and looking to get them elsewhere. Nelson and Smith-Rowe will probably watch Emery sign Nkunku and that will make them want to go on loan. Willock and Nketiah will feel this season wasted and will be looking for loan. Sheaf and Gilmour might be gone. Amiechi and Daley-Cambell will feel like there is no chance for them here.

If we are not careful, we might be looking at one of the best generation we have produced vanishing in front of our eyes.
We won't keep all of them anyway - the more important outcome is who stays.

Emery surely has to be in direct communication with a number of these players so I'm hoping he is going to be a bit more liberal with the opportunities next season, otherwise it will be a worry. Nketiah and Willock should definitely be looking towards a loan as they are 2 players who absolutely need 15-20+ starts in a season. Find the right team/s for them IMO. Nelson I can definitely see staying. He's had a mixed loan but the simple fact is that for the limited time he's been given, he's given us output. He's in fact scored more goals this season than both Iwobi and Mhkitaryan - our two main wingers. I have no doubt that Emery isn't stupid enough to not use him.

As for Smith-Rowe, he is someone who could do with a full season of playing regularly as he's someone who's risen steeply in the last year. Let him go back to Leipzig on loan and see how he does.

Players like Gilmour and Sheaf are players we can arguably afford letting go. They both have nothing to prove at U23 and are at an age where they need regular football too. If they don't see a pathway to the first team, then leaving is a smart but difficult position for them. Daley-Campbell I'm assuming is already going. We've heard nothing about him signing anything.

Now, I may be worried if this pattern of not giving the youngsters more game time continues next season, because then it not only shows that Emery is largely full of sh*t regarding playing them (and only has a couple handpicked favorites) but that the club are consequently going back on values that THEY have set out as objectives going into the post-Wenger era - AND we haven't seen any real suggestion yet that our recruitment is going to compensate for the lack of trust. Martinelli is one outlier but will he get the nod? Or will we see the same mediocre 25-30 year old players?

But it hasn't come to that, so I'm waiting. The only player currently that I'm worried about (other than Daley-Campbell) is Xavier Amaechi. I'm becoming increasingly resigned to the prospect of him leaving. His position is heavily populated - not necessarily by quality but his peers are arguably just as talented (Bukayo Saka and Reiss Nelson).

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm a bit gutted about this one to be honest. It was always going to be difficult for him to break through but he's a fellow countryman of mine and I always hoped he'd make it. I've a feeling he'll end up at Rangers.
Would have been tough. Guendouzi and Willock are the same age as him. Leaving is a smart decision. He could still find his way to the PL - he's got good physical presence, and is calm on the ball. Takes a mean set-piece aswell. He'll be a premium for a middling Championship team. DaSilva went straight to the Championship too after leaving.

We won't keep all of them anyway - the more important outcome is who stays.

Emery surely has to be in direct communication with a number of these players so I'm hoping he is going to be a bit more liberal with the opportunities next season, otherwise it will be a worry. Nketiah and Willock should definitely be looking towards a loan as they are 2 players who absolutely need 15-20+ starts in a season. Find the right team/s for them IMO. Nelson I can definitely see staying. He's had a mixed loan but the simple fact is that for the limited time he's been given, he's given us output. He's in fact scored more goals this season than both Iwobi and Mhkitaryan - our two main wingers. I have no doubt that Emery isn't stupid enough to not use him.

As for Smith-Rowe, he is someone who could do with a full season of playing regularly as he's someone who's risen steeply in the last year. Let him go back to Leipzig on loan and see how he does.

Players like Gilmour and Sheaf are players we can arguably afford letting go. They both have nothing to prove at U23 and are at an age where they need regular football too. If they don't see a pathway to the first team, then leaving is a smart but difficult position for them. Daley-Campbell I'm assuming is already going. We've heard nothing about him signing anything.

Now, I may be worried if this pattern of not giving the youngsters more game time continues next season, because then it not only shows that Emery is largely full of sh*t regarding playing them (and only has a couple handpicked favorites) but that the club are consequently going back on values that THEY have set out as objectives going into the post-Wenger era - AND we haven't seen any real suggestion yet that our recruitment is going to compensate for the lack of trust. Martinelli is one outlier but will he get the nod? Or will we see the same mediocre 25-30 year old players?

But it hasn't come to that, so I'm waiting. The only player currently that I'm worried about (other than Daley-Campbell) is Xavier Amaechi. I'm becoming increasingly resigned to the prospect of him leaving. His position is heavily populated - not necessarily by quality but his peers are arguably just as talented (Bukayo Saka and Reiss Nelson).

Good post. I think ESR is more ready than Nelson for our level and as he clearly is someone Emery liked right from the beginning I can see Emery keeping him and send Nelson on another loan. Also Emery might be tempted keeping the Auba-Laca partnership going and its hard to see where Nelson would fit into that system. ESR has more going for him there as he can play as midfielder. Nelson probably could too, but again we might get stranded on who is Emerys favorite here.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Good post. I think ESR is more ready than Nelson for our level and as he clearly is someone Emery liked right from the beginning I can see Emery keeping him and send Nelson on another loan. Also Emery might be tempted keeping the Auba-Laca partnership going and its hard to see where Nelson would fit into that system. ESR has more going for him there as he can play as midfielder. Nelson probably could too, but again we might get stranded on who is Emerys favorite here.
Well, Nelson's actual position is #10. That he's a very capable wide player and can dribble is what influences people's perception of him as a player but he's clearly in the second-striker mold. So he could theoretically fit into that system. Sterling is a good benchmark for Nelson, as Sterling had a similar goalscoring touch in the youth team before his early rise, and has the kind of all-round attacking play that sees him play anywhere behind the striker, including as the #10.

ESR is perhaps seen as slightly more adept or cut-out for such a role, but I honestly think ESR also has great future slightly deeper on the field. That said, ESR is also pretty good in front of goal so it can go either way.

Emery has to be smart - the profile of player we're producing currently lends itself to quick wide players with 1v1 skill and goalscoring ability, a good all-round CF and modern style midfielders. He needs to give them more of a platform IMO rather than rely on the same square pegs that Wenger gave himself to manage.

Top Bottom