• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,968

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Always bound to lose some, 3 wingers coming through at the same time. Can't blame him for considering his options. For every Iwobi, Bellerin there'll be an Akpom who toiled away on loan to get nowhere.
Similarly for every Sancho, there'll be a Chris Willock and Marcus Mcguane. These guys moved away to a lot of fanfare and they've gotten nowhere since.

He needs to make a smart move where he gets consistent minutes at a good level.
Chris Willock isn't far away from that Benfica first team to be fair, and I still stand by my belief that he'll be a top flight player before long.

But yeah I agree - there were ways to accommodate most of them (Nelson being naturally a #10 and Saka being a very solid LB) but they in the short-to-mid-term future were unfeasible IMO. Something had to give and I did think a few months back that given Saka's astonishing rise that Amaechi would be the one to cut his losses and move.

I think he'll go to Bayern and they'll loan him to a Bundesliga team to cut his teeth.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He will IMO be a star and people will talk about him the way they talk about Gnabry now.

"Why did the club get rid?" Only way to offset that is to use the considerable talent that's left. Plenty more where Amaechi came from.

As you say, good luck to him.
We should insert a buy back clause even if we get a pittance now. We don't want to copy Chelsea in this regard.

akhil

@MutableEarth Not saying these guys won't eventually make it. They left to get minutes at a top level sooner than they thought possible at Arsenal. They've just spent a couple of years in their reserve squads in the lower leagues. How much different would it have been to stay here and possibly head out on loan? All the stories of young players going abroad to make it will just show the successes, never the flops. Sancho is the poster boy for that.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth Not saying these guys won't eventually make it. They left to get minutes at a top level sooner than they thought possible at Arsenal. They've just spent a couple of years in their reserve squads in the lower leagues. How much different would it have been to stay here and possibly head out on loan? All the stories of young players going abroad to make it will just show the successes, never the flops. Sancho is the poster boy for that.
The major difference is that a lot of these teams' reserves actually play in a somewhat competitive league compared to the PL2. We don't have that in England, we just send them to some League 1 or 2 team that doesn't even play the same way and they flounder, losing confidence and momentum along the way. Akpom, aforementioned, a perfect example - had he got the chances that, say, a Sanogo got early on instead of going to teams that obviously were not concerned about his progress at the expense of results, his development could have been very different.

I think you have a point all things considering, but I have an inherent mistrust of the loan system and it's clear the players aren't that keen on it either and only go through with it because they are desperate to play - only to be benched for innocuous reasons and have people write them off. This now is only mitigated by the fact that we have a loans manager in place now, at the very least his job will be to help the young players acclimatize and monitor their progress closely.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Amaechi is a good talent. Probably the most physically gifted prospect we have. Big, strong, fast and agile.

His motor is also very good. Watching the U23s, Amaechi never thoroughly dominated the competition the way Nelson did at 17.

He was not better than Saka who is almost a year younger.

Saka actually reads the game better and has more guile to his play.

Amaechi is better on the ball than Saka (first touch, ball control), but even with those advantages, Saka still looks like the more effective dribbler.

Saka is a bit raw, but can be very slick at times too.

Hope everything works out for Amaechi as he is very exciting player to watch at his best and has a great upside.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Saka looks physically immense in those short pre-season vids. Looks taller as well.
Can end up being such a powerful player and runner. The fact that he's also a very good close-quarters dribbler aswell makes him really dangerous. Once he beats you and gets into space, catching him is going to be very difficult because of how quickly and powerfully he accelerates. I think he's a player who can handle himself against adults already - he's improving at such a rapid rate that I can see him really acclimatizing to first team football quickly. I give it a couple EL appearances before people start taking him seriously as an option.

T
Loaned to Doncaster

Thanks for the update. Just read about it. Its mentioned as a 6 month loan in some places and a season long loan in others. Either way, hope he gets plenty of playing time (preferably in midfield). He signed a contract extension in January of this year if I am not wrong so hopefully he can get a look in next season.

9jagooner

Saka and Nketiah need to add a bit of "arrogance" in their play. When Chris Willock was with us, every time he played in the U23 games, you could see he was way above that level and he showed it by toying with the players. I wasn't happy when we let him go but for his career,I think it was a good move. He'll probably be back in the premiership soon.

If I could advise Amaechi, I'll ask him to stay. Personally, I've not seen anything to suggest he's ready for that big jump yet. He needs to keep his head down, boss the youth league for a season and see what happens next season. He needs to understand everyone has got his time. Other players getting into the first team ahead of him has zero impact on his future.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Saw a tweet about Amaechi going to Hamburg.

Weird rumour to make up, thought he’d get a Bundesliga club.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

will FIFA do anything about this? disgusting stuff

Extremely backward organisation , if they introduced bans and having the perpetrators do a racial villification course where they actually have to face up to why the crap hurtful this would be 90 percent of this would be eradicated in a year.

Honestly football is one of the more backward sports when it comes to this .

Reactions: A_G
Top Bottom