• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Chris Smalling

say yes

forum master baiter
Yeah Welbeck being one of the worst UTD players is laughable tbh. Big prospect and he'd start here every week.

And as for 'the funny how quickly things change' - this Utd squad (minus Mata and Fellaini) took the piss winning the league last year. Funny as their recent demise has been they've still got one of the best squads in the league and took 4 points off us this year.

I can tell you now - they're not going to be anywhere near as amusing next year if they manage to get a decent manager in.

Caz19

Ye i'd love Welbeck here too. Everytime he plays at striker he looks good, and a player with pace such as his would thrive ahead of Özil,Cazorla,Ramsey and the rest of the creative midfielders we've got.

He's also about the same age as the rest of our British core, so he'd fit in really well socially and on the football pitch, since he's played with the guys like Walcott and Wilshere with England before.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
Welbeck has the same problem as Giroud in that he's far less likely to score if he has time to think before shooting. Sturridge looked a quality finisher even in his Bolton days so I don't think the comparison is there.

I rate him higher than Sanogo, but I wouldn't support his signing at all unless he's a squad option.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Just because he'd start here doesn't mean we should be signing him, need I remind us of the donkey who currently starts up top for us.

Welbeck has some great physical qualities but he still looks like bambi on ice too often and his shooting is very erratic. He has something there but he's still quite raw and isn't that young anymore at 23. Like JB I'd say he'd be good as a squad option at best, but he'd probably be an expensive buy to have sitting on the bench.

I can't believe how many people on here would take him tbh.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I would take him as a squad option, nothing more. We don't need a powerful, pacy, intelligent, versatile young attacker though.

say yes

forum master baiter
CurryFlavoured said:
Just because he'd start here doesn't mean we should be signing him, need I remind us of the donkey who currently starts up top for us.

Welbeck has some great physical qualities but he still looks like bambi on ice too often and his shooting is very erratic. He has something there but he's still quite raw and isn't that young anymore at 23. Like JB I'd say he'd be good as a squad option at best, but he'd probably be an expensive buy to have sitting on the bench.

I can't believe how many people on here would take him tbh.

Why's it that surprising?

He's a talented young striker and we've got **** all going on for us up front.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
He's raw, inconsistent and had a horrible season last year. Probably going to cost a decent amount for a squad player, a horrible diver as well so we'd need to disinfect him from his scummy ways.

He has potential but right now he's just an athlete - a stronger, younger Gervinho with more room to improve. I'm just surprised that the majority would take him.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
ASAP Berg said:
Welbeck would score tons here.

According to what? His top class finishing, his goalscoring record...

He's not going to turn into Henry if he joins us ffs, the guy scored 2 goals last season in around 40 games. I'd say he's at best slightly better than Giroud when it comes to composure in front of goal.

say yes

forum master baiter
Raw and inconsistent granted. Don't think the horrible season is fair though, he was hardly tearing up the scoring charts but he was played out wide a lot of the time and put in some very impressive performances. There's a reason Fergie kept on starting him. I only really watch United in their big CL games and he was probably their best player vs. Real Madrid last season, and one of their best players against Bayern this season. Don't think the Gervinho comparison is fair at all.

If he's going to cost a lot then fair enough, I'd pay around 10m max for him. But price aside I can't really see a reason we wouldn't be interested.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
CurryFlavoured said:
ASAP Berg said:

He's not going to turn into Henry if he joins us ffs, the guy scored 2 goals last season in around 40 games. I'd say he's at best slightly better than Giroud when it comes to composure in front of goal.

Quick check shows his goal to shots ratio is 1 in 4 this season, pretty decent.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
CurryFlavoured said:
ASAP Berg said:

I know he hasn't got the best record but I just get the sense he's kinda in that Lukaku/Sturridge mould where they just need to be the main man to start shining.

He has been shifted out wide left again and again because of Rooney/RVP, but I remember he had a run at ST for 6-10 games and scored consistently. He looked really good.

He has a mixture of pace, power and intelligence that would do well with our midfield.

Iceman10

Established Member
@ASAP Berg, his composure against Bayern was iffy, he bottled two or three clear cut chances. Maybe with confidence with a run of games he would be better (as happened with Sturridge) but gives me pause for thought. I know what you mean regarding his various attributes. If he leaves this summer Spuds is where I predict he would end up.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Lukaku=Sturridge>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Heskey>>>>>>>>>my nan>>>>>>>Casper the Friendly Ghost>>>Welbeck

Seriously though, why is this Smalling thread still talking about our potential striker options?

Iceman10

Established Member
^ OK, Spuds it is then for Welbeck :lol:

The thread has probably morphed because of a lack of enthusiasm re. Smalling. I would snap up Phil Jones in a heartbeat but he's not going anywhere of course. Smalling not so much, he doesn't always radiate confidence when playing as a CB, seems prone to lapses in concentration.

Mobb Starr

Iceman10 said:
^ OK, Spuds it is then for Welbeck :lol:

The thread has probably morphed because of a lack of enthusiasm re. Smalling. I would snap up Phil Jones in a heartbeat but he's not going anywhere of course. Smalling not so much, he doesn't always radiate confidence when playing as a CB, seems prone to lapses in concentration.

Are you kidding? Phil Jones is the reason why Moyes is getting sacked today. He's supposed to be a defender not a goalie.
romelu-lukaku-phil-jones-jpg.jpg

Iceman10

Established Member
@Mobb Star, maybe, but most CB's can have bad days at the office now and again, I remember Vidic crumbling in the Liverpool thrashing at Old Trafford back in 2009. Also, with Vidic and Ferdinand getting on, Jones is playing with a bunch of clowns at the back right now, he needs a good partner, and is always very useful as a man to man marker as a CDM in big matches if required for tactical reasons also.

say yes

forum master baiter
Iceman10 said:
@Mobb Star, maybe, but most CB's can have bad days at the office now and again, I remember Vidic crumbling in the Liverpool thrashing at Old Trafford back in 2009. Also, with Vidic and Ferdinand getting on, Jones is playing with a bunch of clowns at the back right now, he needs a good partner, and is always very useful as a man to man marker as a CDM in big matches if required for tactical reasons also.

He's the biggest one of them.

I think Jones is the most overrated CB in England. Evans and Smalling are both better CBs at United.

Top Bottom