• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

CL | Ludogorets vs Arsenal | 1st of November at 19:45 (GMT)

What will be the result for this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I don't remember much about our home match against them last year but the general point still stands, which is that Monreal has struggled against very quick wide players. He was also much better last season as compared to now.

Sure he has struggled more this season but that will often be the case for him until Iwobi learns to track back and provide support. That is a work in progress. On the other side, Theo has perfected that role with Bellerin.

N

NotAUserName

Monreal got a lot of flack for dropping his performance and so many said Gibbs would be better against pace and 1v1. That hasn't been shown tonight. He was worse than Jenks who has been out for a year. A positive contribution to our attack much of which comes to nothing doesn't outweigh his defensive frailties. I just feel Monreal is more concentrated and smart and has picked up. I'd back Walker to get the better of Gibbs in anything other than a foot race with a head start for our boy. Gibbs also gave away a few silly fouls and just strikes me as thick. I trusted a 2006 Eboue more than him.
Like I said, Gibbs had a shocker today for their goal but is generally much more reliable against pacy wide players. With Monreal on the other hand you know he's going to be beaten on nearly every occasion. You're also trying to undersell Gibbs contribution to our offense. He was one of our best players against Sunderland for instance, created chances and even assisted Giroud for our winning goal.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Like I said, Gibbs had a shocker today for their goal but is generally much more reliable against pacy wide players. With Monreal on the other hand you know he's going to be beaten on nearly every occasion. You're also trying to undersell Gibbs contribution to our offense. He was one of our best players against Sunderland for instance, created chances and even assisted Giroud for our winning goal.

A quick reminder here, the fullback job is first and foremost to defend, we all agree with that.
We can also agree that Monreal is an overall better defender and player than Gibbs as well. That is the reason he has been the starting LB for the past 2 yrs now and one of the top 2 or 3 LB in the league. You seem to sell Monreal awfully short as well here.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
Gibbs has always been a terrible defender. He can't tackle, can't head the ball and often loses concentration in the box. Monreal is just more switched on and positionally superior when defending.

It is a tough call now though because Gibbs has been great going forward in the last two matches. I'd start Monreal in the big matches.

N

NotAUserName

A quick reminder here, the fullback job is first and foremost to defend, we all agree with that.
We can also agree that Monreal is an overall better defender and player than Gibbs as well. That is the reason he has been the starting LB for the past 2 yrs now and one of the top 2 or 3 LB in the league. You seem to sell Monreal awfully short as well here.
Yes the fullback's job is to defend, and being able to deal with quick wide players is a big aspect of that. Monreal is indeed an overall better defender and player than Gibbs. However, Monreal's strength are less suited out wide than centrally when compared to Gibbs. It's also not as if this is a game where we'd have to sit back and counter where Monreal would be more effective. I have the feeling that the defense of Monreal here is more based on people's perception of his last season's performance than what he's actually been this season.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Yes the fullback's job is to defend, and being able to deal with quick wide players is a big aspect of that. Monreal is indeed an overall better defender and player than Gibbs. However, Monreal's strength are less suited out wide than centrally when compared to Gibbs. It's also not as if this is a game where we'd have to sit back and counter where Monreal would be more effective. I have the feeling that the defense of Monreal here is more based on people's perception of his last season's performance than what he's actually been this season.

Good we agree that Monreal is a better overall defender and player, so that answers the questions.
From what I have seen so far this season, Monreal does not deserve to sit for Gibbs. Anyway, I understand you don't rate him much, but I would trust the coaching staff who see both players regularly to continue to make the right call.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

It's probably been said before, but cba looking, honestly thats the exact type of game I feel Arsenal would of gone on to either lose or draw. 2-0 down in first half and heads go down. Fair enough it's only Ludogrets but we did show fight and glad we got the W. This Arsenal team is different years before, quality and attitude. Just need to sustain it and we can see about the the PL title. Even could get very far in the CL.

Also, Özil's goal, I'll remember till I'm 6ft under. Wow.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
I've always been a fan of Gibbs but I don't get how a couple of good crosses vs Sunderland suddenly make him a great crosser and better offensively than Monreal on here. That's always been a weakness of his and strength of Monreal. Sure Monreal's game has dipped in a few games this season and Iwobi not providing cover hasn't helped but let's not claim that Gibbs is suddenly better offensively than Monreal.

If Gibbs shows that he can cross that well consistently and Monreal's form doesn't improve THEN we can say Gibbs surpassed the Spaniard in the final third.

SYS

Playing second leg at home is of more importance than the opposition itself. We lost to ****ing Monaco as well in recent years on away goals. We have to face the big teams sooner or later anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom