• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Raya: Throw Your Hands In The Air If Yous A True Raya

Heavy Duty Rom

Outdated Tweets Merchant
His kicking is so bad. Almost every single long ball was to a Utd player or out of play, he didn’t give Havertz a chance. And his short passing was always sideways.

Onana distribution was on another level to Rayas in yesterday’s game.

Malky

Established Member
Remember how Ramsdale was rattled like everyone was Ben White on corners and we used to concede because players just surrounded and bullied him? Raya is shorter but still commands his area far better. We're in a race for 3rd with Liverpool at best with him instead of Raya. Raya will also get better with a full preseason with us and full understanding of what's required under his belt.

I don't think people are giving him enough credit (or even really talking about it at all) for moving from a team with Brentford's low level of expectations to team competing with City for the title after the season had already begun and managing the pressure of that as well as he has. He doesn't even have the experience of last year to draw upon unlike most of his teammates.
Raya makes crosses look so easy the way he collects them, compared to Ramsdale who constantly made a meal of it.
100% agree with the bottom part about the lack of credit for how he's stepped up, not to mention into a whole new system with our high risk, high reward way of building from the back.
It's also ridiculous how he doesn't get enough credit for the teams defensive performances, it's mostly the back 4 who get the credit, when it's the same back 4 that Ramsdale played behind, yet they never looked so calm and comfortable until Raya came into the team!
That alone speaks volumes about Raya

fute

His kicking is so bad. Almost every single long ball was to a Utd player or out of play, he didn’t give Havertz a chance. And his short passing was always sideways.

He gets ridiculed a lot, but Onana's strength is passing and ball at his feet. He isn't the greatest shot-stopper, although he had a couple of solid ones yesterday. He has a bad defense in front of him.

Raya isn't perfect, and yeah his kicking wasn't the greatest yesterday, but, again, he fulfills the job requirement as a goalkeeper: Don't loses us games with your play. On a must win-game on the road where our offense wasn't giving us much against, he didn't lose the game for us. Our defense played a big part in it, but this is a team game. For as short as he is, he can claim those crosses. He put in another solid shift yesterday. That is all you can ask for.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

Not only that, but he makes me so nervous with every touch, just an accident waiting to happen

North_Bank_Gooner

Commander of the Coneboy Brigade
I'm still not convinced with him. Raya has been shielded all season by saliba and Gabriel and not had to face many shots.
I'm sure I saw somewhere he's got one of the worst save ratios in the PL.

Next season, managers, players, tactics and injuries change where could find themselves on the back foot more often compared to this season. I don't trust Raya respond well to do that.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
I'm still not convinced with him. Raya has been shielded all season by saliba and Gabriel and not had to face many shots.

Next season, managers, players, tactics and injuries change where could find themselves on the back foot more often compared to this season. I don't trust Raya respond well to do that.

Just worry about your own goalkeeper in Vicario.

freddy_v

Have my suspicions as well, but have no hopes they will look for a replacement. I just cannot see Raya putting in title winning performances like Ederson and Ortega did yesterday. Ultimately a gk will need to have that skillset too.

His saving stats has been underwhelming, even worse than Ramsdales worst season. Too error prone as well.

Something that he has done very well this season - crosses. Unfortunately I think this season's stats for crosses will prove itself to be an outlier since it is so outrageously far beyond what he has achieved previous seasons. But let's see.

I don't think he's it, unfortunately he will be given a lot of time to prove it.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Love the Biggie reference in the title but somewhat dismayed it was reserved for this nervy f*cker with a clip-on beard.

Last edited:

Synical

Miss Superstitious

You just talk nonsense all the time
Screenshot_20240515-201811.png

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He pulled off a good save today and has brought a calmness to the defence which has made us so hard to beat. I hope he can improve his shot stopping abd be even better next season even if I'm not convinced that he's a long term solution.

freddy_v

You just talk nonsense all the time
View attachment 24389

Not the worst, just worse PSxG per 90 minutes than Ramsdale's 22/23 season while facing shots of lesser quality.

I would call his first season "saved by the bell, an incredible central line and Declan Rice."

Am afraid this guy will be found out sooner or later.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240522_114340_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240522_114340_Chrome.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 7

fute

Not the worst, just worse PSxG per 90 minutes than Ramsdale's 22/23 season while facing shots of lesser quality.

I would call his first season "saved by the bell, an incredible central line and Declan Rice."

Am afraid this guy will be found out sooner or later.

His first season was what Arteta desired: Somebody he could trust with this current group of players.

Arteta is not expecting or asking Raya to be Allison.

He trusts Raya enough (especially with crosses) to get the job done with the likes of White, Saliba, Gabriel, and Rice in front of him.

He no longer trusted Ramsdale. Ramsdale's last screw-up in his most recent start against Brentford was a prime example.

That isn't to say Raya is the long term solution either. We signed Ramsdale to an extension last year only for Arteta to bring in Raya and replace him.

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Arsenal are considering a move for Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow as a replacement for Aaron Ramsdale [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Newcastle manager Eddie Howe is keen to reunite with Ramsdale if the club can make an acceptable offer [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Ajax LB Jorrel Hato remains the club’s top defensive target [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom