• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EFL Cup | Arsenal vs Southampton | 30/11/16 | 19:45 (GMT)

What will be the result of this match?

• Arsenal win

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Southampton win

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Draw (After 90)

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Take a look at this pressing...

They clearly aren't being appropriately instructed.

It's why we shouldn't have started Perez imo, he looked gassed after 20 minutes. He was really struggling to close anyone down at all.

With Ramsey playing a lot deeper than Özil normally does it gave space in behind the first line if Southampton wanted to play the ball into Clasie.

It's a shame because Forster was pretty atrocious with distribution anyway so we could have created a lot more chances by pressing well.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

It's very hard for a side that's essentially B and C list to come together for one off games. it's usually easier against lower opposition because our b list players individually should be better.

But when you throw them against virtually an upper Premier League teams starters then it becomes a different game. It's individually level so you are looking at team cohesion, fitness, sharpness all those other important factors.

The same thing happened last season where Southampton dumped our C team out of the cup. And the same outcome still applies. Put Gabriel or Holding in with Bellerin, Koscielny and Monreal their game becomes better. That team last night will rarely if ever see th light of day but individuals will come into the A team and go up levels on their performance because naturally they are with better players who are intune with each other already.

carlito'sway

Established Member
It proved yesterday that coq-elneny pairing will never ever work its look Flamini-Arteta all over again. We see the difference when Xhaka came on we look more better offensively.

Also it's proved yesterday that Jenkinson is more like a championship player he nowhere near this level both of Southampton goals goals came from his side first goal he was no where to be seen the 2nd goal he give the ball away in his area.

Also Gabriel-holding did very well specially Gabriel who deal well with long apart from one moment I want Gabriel to start against westham as full back even if he offer us nothing offensively.

Gabs should start from now on at RB. He is a strong one and one defender and miles ahead of Jenks.
Payet vs Jenks is stuff of nightmares......:lol:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Gabs should start from now on at RB. He is a strong one and one defender and miles ahead of Jenks.
Absolutely agree.

Watching West Ham highlights last night, their defence was all over the place. So many counter attacks they were out numbered.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Payet will also have Gabriel weak in the knees, bet my life on it. At least Gabriel might take him out early in the game, so yes, he should and probably is going to play.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Payet will also have Gabriel weak in the knees, bet my life on it. At least Gabriel might take him out early in the game, so yes, he should and probably is going to play.

Payet is not the fastest, Gabs can keep up with him. He can kick him and scare the crap out of him as well. :lol:

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
The worrying aspect of last night's game wasn't so much the result (which was annoying tbh) but the overall performance. I know that this was a changed side but we're led to believe that the club play the same way from yutes to seniors and this should help players acclimatize to the 1st team style.

I've watched a few of the junior's/reserves games (via stream) when I can and one thing that has stuck out like a sore thumb is that when we come up against a team that is strong tactically and plays cohesive team football, we've floundered. The yutes were well outplayed by Anderlecht last year in the UEFA Youth League (it looked like pros against amatuers) and PSG ran rings around them for much of the recent UEFA Youth league game also. Sadly, this trend continues to the 1st team and is why Arsène has such tough times against tactically astute managers.

Arsenal have quality players in their ranks no doubt and there were several on the pitch last night also, yet at no time did we ever look a better side than Southampton, who themselves had made multiple changes.

One poster, who's handle I forget has already pointed out that we live & die on the quality of our individuals rather than our collective. It's probably why we get dusted out by better teams on a regular basis and have had problems dealing with lesser teams who have any semblance of tactical superiority.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Southampton were always likely to pose a significant threat in this game. A very good side up against a team with a few weak areas. Perez completely short. Jenkinson not really a PL level player and confidence dented by seeing Debuchy rushed in to replace him. Martinez. A limited DM pairing. Unsurprising loss given that the opposition are a very good team playing in Europa League rather than Champions League.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
So I was right then :lol:
No, you was wrong actually. :lol: I don't recall anyone saying Wenger needs to go or managers know how to get results off him. That's just something you'd like to think was said. Besides, that much is obvious anyway.

Last edited:

goonerwarsh

Established Member
The worrying aspect of last night's game wasn't so much the result (which was annoying tbh) but the overall performance. I know that this was a changed side but we're led to believe that the club play the same way from yutes to seniors and this should help players acclimatize to the 1st team style.

I've watched a few of the junior's/reserves games (via stream) when I can and one thing that has stuck out like a sore thumb is that when we come up against a team that is strong tactically and plays cohesive team football, we've floundered. The yutes were well outplayed by Anderlecht last year in the UEFA Youth League (it looked like pros against amatuers) and PSG ran rings around them for much of the recent UEFA Youth league game also. Sadly, this trend continues to the 1st team and is why Arsène has such tough times against tactically astute managers.

Arsenal have quality players in their ranks no doubt and there were several on the pitch last night also, yet at no time did we ever look a better side than Southampton, who themselves had made multiple changes.

One poster, who's handle I forget has already pointed out that we live & die on the quality of our individuals rather than our collective. It's probably why we get dusted out by better teams on a regular basis and have had problems dealing with lesser teams who have any semblance of tactical superiority.

This is actually what struck me most about the recent game against Sp**s and just how Pochettino has brought them up to compete on our level over the last few years even though we have more money and arguably better individuals at our disposal.

I've felt that the last few years playing them - They looked like a well drilled team with a game plan to execute and we look like a team that on any given day given the correct motivation and focus has the talent to look really superb however the level of that performance is incredibly inconsistent and results in us often looking very laboured and uninspiring. All of a sudden both Liverpool and Tottenham with managers who look the real deal at the helm have become serious forces to be reckoned with. I don't think we've really progressed that much in ten years, marginally maybe but we could have probably all sat around every season before we've even kicked a ball and told you pretty much exactly how it will all pan out. I'm not convinced we've seen anything that different this year, we have a better centre back alongside Kos which is helping and a stronger squad in general but we're still seeing lots of false dawn performances where we look great followed by big crunch games where the players look like they've been up all night shagging and getting p**sed. Results wise we're still doing ok, but the performances are ****ing terrible.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No, you was wrong actually. :lol: I don't recall anyone saying Wenger needs to go or managers know how to get results off him, even though that's usually said. Besides, that much is obvious anyway.
Fixed ;)

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I didn't watch the game but Saints made quite a few changes themselves. I think it would have been better for Wenger to have picked a youth side simply because they're all drilled to play together. We may still have lost but we might have seen a more cohesive performance. The 2007 run is the right way to treat this competition.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
No, you was wrong actually. :lol: I don't recall anyone saying Wenger needs to go or managers know how to get results off him. That's just something you'd like to think was said. Besides, that much is obvious anyway.
*you were wrong.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Take a look at this pressing...

They clearly aren't being appropriately instructed.
Yep. The main problem I see is the lack of focus on cutting off passing lanes. Nobody can press hard for a full 90 but there has to be contingencies. There are none where we are concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom