• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gedion Zelalem (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Bond

Moderation Consultant
Disappointing if he's leaving but I guess he, like Gnabry, are smart in moving on to get a chance somewhere else. I feel our talented youngsters don't get the same shot in the cups like they did in the past. I'd suspect it's a byproduct of failing in the league and CL year on year as it put more pressure on AW to play fringe players/first teamers vs youngsters.

Dortmund would be a good place for him to go.

Last edited:

BBF

But... why? He wouldn't even make their bench.

Zazu

Saw him a a few times in person last season in the Scottish Championship and wasn't very impressed.

Had a few nice flicks and passes but didn't do anything at all special in any of Rangers' games against Hibs.

I thought he would dominate at that level, but he didn't even always get a game so I'm not surprised to see us now trying to punt him. Shame cause he had so much apparent potential.

Majora

Watched him loads with Rangers since the majority of my family are Rangers fans, he has the potential to completely dictate a game but he is far too lightweight on the ball (not even just for Scottish football) any imposing midfielder will and has kicked him out of a game and registered him a purely a luxury player. I'd like to see him stay and bulk up a bit, there's definitely a player there.

D

Dial Square 1886

Remember when us on here thought he was THE future!! Classic overhype too early. Emirates Cup or was it pre-season tour, I forget...

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
The vast majority are v.overpaid for their talents. Leaves no option but loans & run the deal down.
Other clubs do and have to pay and overpay talents, its not just us. We keep them till the end cause no good offers come in, we respect the contracts offered to them, and last but not least; you never know when a player might explode.
Gnabry didnt play for the first team in forever. We kept him and earned money cause of that, instead of forcing him out when he didnt play, what most of the clubs would do. Then you have Coquelin. We kept him and got ourselves a nice homegrown player to have around for long tine, not to mention if we decide to sell we would get good money for him, instead forcing him out for nothing 2 years ago.
It goes on, but those 2 only were worth it for 20 others that didnt work out

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Other clubs do and have to pay and overpay talents, its not just us. We keep them till the end cause no good offers come in, we respect the contracts offered to them, and last but not least; you never know when a player might explode.
Gnabry didnt play for the first team in forever. We kept him and earned money cause of that, instead of forcing him out when he didnt play, what most of the clubs would do. Then you have Coquelin. We kept him and got ourselves a nice homegrown player to have around for long tine, not to mention if we decide to sell we would get good money for him, instead forcing him out for nothing 2 years ago.
It goes on, but those 2 only were worth it for 20 others that didnt work out

Feel we are still paying the costs of Wengers idea for a level wage structure. We had average squad players on huge money at the time which must have impacted negotiations of the stars above & top youth below.... & future negotiations to this day. The clubs our wage bill was comparable to even before signing the likes of Özil & Alexis was crazy.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Disappointing if he's leaving but I guess he, like Gnabry, are smart in moving on to get a chance somewhere else. I feel our talented youngsters don't get the same shot in the cups like they did in the past. I'd suspect it's a byproduct of failing in the league and CL year on year as it put more pressure on AW to play fringe players/first teamers vs youngsters.

Dortmund would be a good place for him to go.
It's a by product of us having more resources. Few seem to have noted this transition. We didn't sign players like Xhaka, Mustafi, Özil and Alexis 5 years ago. Without those guys players like Ox, Ramsey, Gabriel, Chambers, Gibbs and a host of others would be bona-fide first team players. Now they aren't. They are on the fringe of the first team so they get game time in the cup.

So those that would have been on the fringes five years ago are absolutely shunted. They aren't on the fringe of the first team and you can't justify playing them in the cup when you've fringe senior players that need games.

Players like Song, Denilson etc were the last group of players to be effectively transitioned while having young players like Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott etc support them. Wilshere etc got caught in the readjustment where we were able to buy established players. Nowadays for a young player to break in being good isn't enough when it was five or more years ago cause there was nobody else. You have to be top quality to break in.

And in truth that's the way it should be.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Feel we are still paying the costs of Wengers idea for a level wage structure. We had average squad players on huge money at the time which must have impacted negotiations of the stars above & top youth below.... & future negotiations to this day. The clubs our wage bill was comparable to even before signing the likes of Özil & Alexis was crazy.

It's the premier league in general for you. The financial disparity between all 20 clubs and their overseas equivalents in France, Italy, Spain and Germany is insane.

For example if Palace were to go down, the only club who could afford say Benteke's wages would be an elite European club or a Premier League one.

The same reasoning applies to youth players, the likes of Zelalem would cost far too much for most foreign clubs.

It's why I think the league format is doomed long term. Already we see the likes of Real Madrid and Bayern operating in different stratospheres to the rest of their leagues. I can see a European Super League forming in the next few years once UEFA's commercial CL contracts expire with or without the Premier League.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Whats happening with Akpom? Good player I think, probably won't make it here though. Don't think he's on loan anywhere.

Malky

Established Member
Think we could comfortably replace him with another youngster. He looked out of his depth playing in the Scottish Championship, I have yet to meet a Rangers fan who think's he was anything more than average.

Sykes

Looks like move will happen...big shame, still think he'll be big in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom