Granit Xhaka: The Deft Distributor

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Trilly, May 25, 2016.

1. Aevius

Aevius Alexis Sanchez Baby! Moderator

Doesn't work like that @yousif_arsenal. He could train to become a little faster but his speed is mostly down to his build, it won't get much better.

Trilly likes this.
  2. karl

karl Well-Known Member

I think you have your rose tinted specs on with Vieira. He holds the record at 8 red cards and Xhaka will have to go a long way to overhaul that one.

Hunter Zolomon likes this.
  3. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Well-Known Member

4. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Well-Known Member

Take a look at his record over the last 5 years.

https://www.statbunker.com/players/GetHistoryStats?player_id=36827&comps_type=-1&dates=-1

47 yellows and 8 reds. He'll catch up very quickly at this rate. Viera took his 9 years to get 8 cards. Granit has 1 already. Just over half a season gone with the business end coming up.

Edit: To avoid confusion. The 8 Viera and 1 Xhaka is for England only. The other Xhaka stats just indicate how much of a loose cannon this kid is.

5. Batman

Batman Bruce Wayne

But mixed in against those cards was incredible leadership and instilling actual fear into the opposition. Teams were actually afraid of Paddy's midfield. The times he got a bit carried away were worth it because he dominated games with his edge. Xhaka isn't at that level so the being rash and impetuous is not a fair tradeoff. He's got to learn to toe the line where yes you can absolutely leave one on a player to send a message but still stay on the pitch. There is a middle ground between being a precious little flower and being stupid enough to wind up and shove someone in the penalty box. That's the area he needs to find. It's not that difficult.

6. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

Vieira had a lot of red cards early in his career, but latter on he more or less made fouling players an art form. He is also always calm on the tackle, something that can't be said about Xhaka.

Hunter Zolomon and celestis like this.
  7. karl

karl Well-Known Member

Well, let's see how he goes. Obviously not anywhere near the stature of Vieira yet, but I hate to see our new players continually criticised before they have a chance.

Also his one red card for us was absolutely the only one I have ever seen for a cynical challenge on the halfway line. Surely the EPL would rack up at least another 50 in a season if this was consistently enforced.

8. 1970*Gooner

1970*Gooner Member

At least this guy has grit, he just needs to learn to keep his cool more, early days yet but I like him. Lets give the guy a chance before we write him off, he ain't been with us long.

9. samshere

samshere Well-Known Member

I'm not bothered by the red card as much as the stupid fouls in the penalty area. What bloody purpose does committing fouls in the penalty area serve? If he can't rein in his instincts close to the box, then I see a very difficult time for him(and us). Not that I'm writing him off, far from it. Koscielny had this habit of conceding own goals but he ironed it out of his game as time progressed.

10. Hunter Zolomon

Hunter Zolomon Well-Known Member

yeah but after how many games he cost us. I know kos is finally the world class player we all hoped he had be, however for a decent amount of time it always looked like he had a costly mistake in him. The same can be said of xhaka, we have an unhealthy habit of buying players with certain deficiencies in their game and instead of changing our tactics to hide those deficiencies we let them keep playing till they figure it out. Eventually they will, but not after costing us a lot down the line.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    samshere likes this.
  11. Hyruga

Hyruga Member

Nothing to do with players. It's because the management is not doing enough to address issues of poor defending.

For Eg, Bellerin can make tons of mistakes and he will still play the next game. Same for Monreal and Walcott.

Mertesacker too in the past.

No matter how many mistakes they make, Arsenal will just play them in the next game before Arsenal believes the younger players cannot step up. Like for eg we waited forever for Akpom, Adelaide, Afobe, Joel Campbell to play but they are forever fringe players.

MutableEarth and karl like this.
  12. Hunter Zolomon

Hunter Zolomon Well-Known Member

true talk, that is a style of management i believe only occurs because wenger also doesnt get scolded due to losing matches we should have won or being embarrassed by our rivals. If the manager is not being held accountable how do we expect him to do the same with his players. He also seems to have favourites, like dropping chambo when he was just picking up form and also playing mustafi and bellerin too soon after recovering from injury. Despite gabriel having played well. The wenger fan boys will never admit this guy has a problem with tactics and man management. Wenger is great at managing the overall aspects of the club, however tactics and man management is his weakness. But what do i know, arsene is a great manager and we are ucky to have him.

1970*Gooner likes this.
  13. karl

karl Well-Known Member

I don't think that the manager does hold his players to account that often. Much though I admire many things about Arsene, I believe he has fostered a much too comfortable environment for his players. Witness the fact that the team have to reach a crisis point before they step up and perform a run of wins. Just when you think they are doing well, complacency sets in again.

I used to think it was the bunch of young players brought through the ranks, but the same culture spreads to whoever joins in the end. I hope he doesn't nullify the spirit I see in Xhaka.

14. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Pain is Temporary, Arsene is Forever

Xhaka is undoubtedly work in progress for our coaches and the jury is still out with regard to his self control.

But comparing footballers to those of yesteryear is a bit pointless. Vieira was a lion in his day but referees were much more lenient in the past.

15. Jury

Jury Hype Hater

Not to Vieira they wasn't. He's still the only player to get sent off for shaking a leg at Van Nistlerooy from 2 yards away while lying prone, and getting a straight red for 'intention'. Vieira was a marked man and Arsenal players were targets too, I'd say.

16. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Pain is Temporary, Arsene is Forever

Yeah, agree wth all that.

Just saying, in terms of applying the rules referees have got much tighter on a continuum since 1970s, when carnage ruled.

This video of Norman Hunter is interesting. After the body chop, notice there's no one surrounding the ref, no stretcher and not even sure he get's a caution :lol: When men were men mate.

Jury likes this.
  17. Jury

Jury Hype Hater

Yes, it's funny how all that was suddenly deemed naughty. I wonder at what point somebody said this was just barbaric and had to stop... Was it all done in a preseason by the FA, or was it a gradual thing? Older people here might remember. Must have been in the early eighties I reckon.

18. karl

karl Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure central defenders were still dishing out "reducers" in the eighties. I remember players like Kenny Dalglish and Duncan Ferguson using questionable techniques on goalkeepers too!

Maybe everything was too tough then, but when Xhaka got a red on the halfway line without hurting a player, it has gone too far the other way.

Makingtrax likes this.
  19. celestis

celestis Moderator Moderator

Yeah yup , incredible isn't it? cue one year later did Neville or any United player get a card for what they did to Reyes ?

Nyctophobia and Makingtrax like this.
  20. Jury

Jury Hype Hater

That game (charity shield wasn't it?) and the 2-1 carve up at OT that ended the 49 streak are two of the best or worst examples of refs having created a different set of rules for our opponents back then. They were so sick if seeing the flashy French team win that they allowed teams to employ the over zealous 'get in their faces' tactic. I'm sure I've heard a ref admit as much since.

Nyctophobia and celestis like this.