• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Guillaume Hubert

Aevi

Hale End FC
Weird, with Cech still here for 2 years, Martinez having just signed a new contract, Ospina catching CL games, and Szczesny still being available. I'm not against improving on the position, but I'd think there are more important areas atm.

Maxim

Weird, with Cech still here for 2 years, Martinez having just signed a new contract, Ospina catching CL games, and Szczesny still being available. I'm not against improving on the position, but I'd think there are more important areas atm.

Cech has been less than convincing lately, I wouldn't be suprised if Ospina got a run in the league before the end of the season.

Martinez (despite the contract) and Szczesny are not viable options for the first team anymore.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
We waste a stupid amount of money on keepers wages. Is their any other club that has a league keeper, CL keeper & domestic cup keeper?... + one starting for a top European club! :lol:

Would be more than happy with Cech (or top keeper) backed up by Martinez. Just let the 1st choice keeper play more games.

Maxim

We waste a stupid amount of money on keepers wages. Is their any other club that has a league keeper, CL keeper & domestic cup keeper?... + one starting for a top European club! :lol:

Would be more than happy with Cech (or top keeper) backed up by Martinez. Just let the 1st choice keeper play more games.

Well, yes actually - almost every other top club has Domestic and European keepers. The only ones who don't (off the top of my head) are Dortmund and they are seriously paying for it now that Burki is injured and Wiedenfeller is actually having to play again (FYI he's having an absolute mare and moves like he's in his late 60s).

Also - not sure if Cech IS a top keeper anymore...

And tbh competition is healthy between keepers, unless we want to go back to Almunia vs Mart Poom.

BBF

Unless he's absolute quality then this is a complete waste of time. Like @Garrincha said, we're paying 4 keepers good wages for players that usually go for 5-15m. What's the point? If we're going to address the keeper situation then spend top dollar on a undisputed world class one considering you can get one for 20-30m, and then we wouldn't have waste wages on players.

Maxim

Unless he's absolute quality then this is a complete waste of time. Like @Garrincha said, we're paying 4 keepers good wages for players that usually go for 5-15m. What's the point? If we're going to address the keeper situation then spend top dollar on a undisputed world class one considering you can get one for 20-30m, and then we wouldn't have waste wages on players.

Keepers don't really tend to move in their Prime though - World Class Keepers are like fecking gold dust, so you have to get talented ones in young, hold them down and hope they fulfil their potential. See De Gea, Courtois, Ter Stegen, Cech, Neuer, Hart, etc. I don't know anything about this Hubert Guy - but seems to me that's what Arsenal are trying to do here.

And I'm not sure I understand the argument about us paying 4 keepers? We've clearly given up on Szczesny, and Martinez is barely good enough for 3rd choice and isn't on big wages - it's only 34 yr old Cech and Ospina.

BBF

Keepers don't really tend to move in their Prime though - World Class Keepers are like fecking gold dust, so you have to get talented ones in young, hold them down and hope they fulfil their potential. See De Gea, Courtois, Ter Stegen, Cech, Neuer, Hart, etc. I don't know anything about this Hubert Guy - but seems to me that's what Arsenal are trying to do here.

And I'm not sure I understand the argument about us paying 4 keepers? We've clearly given up on Szczesny, and Martinez is barely good enough for 3rd choice and isn't on big wages - it's only 34 yr old Cech and Ospina.

4 are on the pay role, reasonable money too. Why sign more players which you don't need whilst you already have a load on the pay role?? We waste enough wages as it is.

There's no reason we couldn't have gone out in the same summer and dropped another £20m on a world class keeper if we wanted to, or even someone younger with a similar level to Cech.

Top Bottom