• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mathieu Debuchy: Still Here Guys

Reeson4

hes been Brilliant for us so far, But i've seen at least 5-6 times his positioning on the right hand side is a little wayward and runs the ball out of playing putting us back under pressure. Not sure if its one touch to many or to much of a heavy touch.

Anyone else noticed this ?

BobP

Memri Fan
Reeson4 said:
hes been Brilliant for us so far, But i've seen at least 5-6 times his positioning on the right hand side is a little wayward and runs the ball out of playing putting us back under pressure. Not sure if its one touch to many or to much of a heavy touch.

Has been caught out being a little to far forward at times.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Reeson4 said:

I think its the lack of movement or options on the right wing ahead of him. It will take a bit of getting used to but I hope whoever is in the forward line realises straight away Debuchy is looking to play the ball down the wing. If he doesn't have an option he takes the extra touch trying to figure out what to do. I hope this doesn't inhibit him and he becomes less inclined to move the ball forward.

Gioud regularly makes it out on to the wing providing an option for Debuchy. This is also another reason why I like Özil in the middle... it gives him licence to drift on to the wing where there is space. Its what he excels at. He might be great on the left wing but hes better being able to switch and find the space.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Anyone else think he's been brilliant for us? He's been sensational for me; combative, quick, strong, good in the air and good at the getting forward. So far I'd say he's been better than Sagna was last season, probably better than Sagna's been for a while actually.

So far he's played 12 games and we haven't lost whenever he's participated. Seems a great leader and an all round solid signing, especially for someone who (myself included) was very unsure when he first came in.

blaze_of_glory

Yeah agreed, he has been excellent. We are much, much better with him in the team I think, both defensively and in attack.

Great, great signing and to be honest we aren't missing Sagna at all when Debuchy is playing (would have been great to have been able to keep Sagna as a backup CB though.. hell he'd be getting more playing time in that role than he is at City right now).

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I've been impressed with his intelligence and industry. A very valuable addition. My dad was stark raving mad that we signed him instead of Aurier, who he thinks is amazing. I thought this would be a solid signing though, and it's proved to be so. He won't play at this level for that long, and we have young full-backs ready to take the charge.

But he's effectively replaced Sagna - at least in the games he has played so far (as he's been injured), he's been mostly reliable.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He's done about as good as I thought he would tbh. Not much more, if any. I don't think we've seen the best of him here yet FWIW. That injury halted what he was building up to.

Watching Sagna look like a non-league player in Citys attack, when he's not asleep on the bench, warms me. Awful footballer.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Speaking of Sagna, briefly--what a terrible decision that was for him and City. I wonder how much more money he's getting to train in ****ty Manchester. I wonder if he thinks it was worth it...

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

He was quite expensive for a player his age, but he has been worth it. He is a solid, experienced PL player and he has fit right in.

Sagna is probably not too happy right now. Only playing when Zabaleta needs a rest and a grumpy wife at home who would rather go shopping in London. :D

Toast

Established Member
He was certainly an astute signing. Going forward he's certainly a breath of fresh air compared to Sagna and defensively he's not much worse than his compatriot.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Don't think he's really been tested, good player though, Debuchy.

Sagna was one of the best players in our Emirates era, one of the best defenders in Europe, Debuchy is better going forward but that's where the comparison ends.

Thinking about it, Sagna leaving was best for everyone, we get fresh legs, Sagna got extra money, and City got an experienced back up.

GOONER1991

Established Member
I've got a lot of time for Debuchy. Has replaced Sagna with the minimum amount of fuss. Such a shame he broke his leg so randomly. He's not going to pull up any tree, but I'm more than happy with him on the right until one of the younger players is ready to make the step up.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I love everything about Debuchy, good solid player with a great attitude, commitment and work rate, these traits you cant teach. If we bring in a DM with a similar mentality, we would be much harder to beat. Our summer signings have all been a success and we mustn't forget Chambers is still very young.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He's been better than I thought to be honest, but I can see parts of his game that are a worry. There's a few mistakes in him.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Its also nice to have a player who gives you 7/10 straight away and you don't have to wait and watch them slowly develop for 7 years into someone who might deliver.

Gautier

I don't understand why he hasn't been given a chance as Central Defender. With all the opportunites there has been.. either when there were injuries with Cent.Def or just trying him out as he has an interesting profile for the job

Latest posts+

Top Bottom