• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvinho's ball bag

I can't wait for another flimsy, girly performance from him in a high-octane away game (Liverpool) in which he doesn't even exist.

By contrast, watch how Coutinho et al display huge tenacity and desire, relentlessly attacking us.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
I know you're saying big games, but he is criticised these days for not turning up at all, but look at the defence it's not packed with the opposition players. I know there's more to it than just that, but most teams, especially at the Emirates, just pack their box and hope to counter. Plus our 'pass around the pitch for an hour' at times, means even big clubs will have time to pack their box if they want to.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Once upon a time...

What a player, and we want rid of this guy?

He's very much out of sorts atm, but ****ing hell, he's pure class. Only Bergkamp before him has had this level of artistry.

Real Madrid's setup was perfect for him, as you can see from that clip his partnership with Ronaldo was deadly. No wonder CR7 was so upset that Madrid had sold him to us.

We need to sort our attack out. Get them all singing from the same hymn sheet. It'd help if we knew who our first choice wideman are, on the evidence of this season you'd probably say Walcott and Iwobi. But Lucas deserves a run doesn't he? This has been Ox's best season, Welbeck offers pace and power etc. We need to discover our most effective attack.

Alexis at his current level and Özil at the level in the vid is a dream combination. In order for it to work, we need Alexis to be able to trust who is playing around him, so we see less of the pirouettes. If he has players around him who he can drop the ball off to with confidence, our attack will be much quicker. From that vid you can see Özil is at his best when attacking at pace, we need to emulate Madrid's attack as best we can.

I remember an FA Cup tie against Everton a couple of seasons ago, we scored 4 and one of the goals was the result of a clinically quick counter. Here's the game;

Check out Özil's pass/movement for that goal. Similar to how he was at Madrid, infiltrating the space and providing the killer pass. We're not seeing enough situations for Özil to do this, our build up play is much slower and I think it's a lot to do with our personnel.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Once upon a time...

It's quite simple and I'm surprised this point has to be constantly hammered home:

Arsenal are crap in big games.

Özil is 3rd in minutes per goal/assists in big games despite this. Özil always performs when his team does. What gets him so much stick is that he sticks out like a sore thumb when his team suffers.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
"I just want my man back"

He still does those little touches and Cruyff turns in big games here tbf.
He doesn't have the direct dribbling or penetration you see in that video. When's the last time you've seen him run at players the way he did there? He doesn't, he's far more cautious on the ball unless there's the option for that killer pass in front. Might partially be down to our passive play in general as well.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
But when people say this is what they want from Özil they get shut down.
Exactly. We've seen he can do it, but it's not happening here. Nothing at all to do with not having world-class players around him. His appetite for it there compared to with us, is on a different level.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
He doesn't have the direct dribbling or penetration you see in that video. When's the last time you've seen him run at players the way he did there?
The last notable example would be Southampton away a few years back:
CarelessBarrenFlamingo.gif

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Exactly. We've seen he can do it, but it's not happening here. Nothing at all to do with not having world-class players around him. His appetite for it there compared to with us, is on a different level.
Personally I just think we're ****. :lol:

You nor I know what his appetite is like. The sad thing is he's probably a better player now - more experience and also physically stronger - yet we haven't seen that.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Personally I just think we're ****. :lol:

You nor I know what his appetite is like. The sad thing is he's probably a better player now - more experience and also physically stronger - yet we haven't seen that.
What's your opinion of us being sh!t got to do with Özil? And is he part of the reason that you think we are sh!t? Glad you admit we haven't seen his best though. That's progress.

I don't claim to know the inner workings of his brain ffs! All me and you can go on is what we see with our eyes.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

What's your opinion of us being sh!t got to do with Özil? And is he part of the reason that you think we are sh!t? Glad you admit we haven't seen his best though. That's progress.

I don't claim to know the inner workings of his brain ffs! All me and you can go on is what we see with our eyes.
I feel like he's a player who has an incredibly high ceiling but it's almost like he tracks the level of his team. He's always one of the better players on any team but is not the type to drag his teammates.

At that Madrid side he was a key component and nobody doubted that he was a world class player, the fan and player reaction says it all.

At Arsenal he's still one of our better players but he hasn't been able to reach his Real Madrid levels because we're levels below Real. If my theory is true though then we shouldn't really sell him if we have ambition because our team will never outgrow him, he'll always get better as the team around him does.

Another point which is an after thought but probably just as big a reason is the fact that Real Madrid were a counter attacking side and they executed perfectly. No better player to have than Mesut if you have a bunch of high quality players making the right passes, runs etc but I guess that ties back into my main point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom