• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I feel like he's a player who has an incredibly high ceiling but it's almost like he tracks the level of his team. He's always one of the better players on any team but is not the type to be a level above his teammates.

At that Madrid side he was a key component and nobody doubted that he was a world class player, the fan and player reaction says it all.

At Arsenal he's still one of our better players but he hasn't been able to reach his Real Madrid levels because we're levels below Real. If my theory is true though then we shouldn't really sell him if we have ambition because our team will never outgrow him, he'll always get better as the team around him does.

Another point which is an after thought but probably just as big a reason if not more is the fact that Real Madrid were a counter attacking side and they executed them perfectly. No better player to have than Mesut if you have a bunch of high quality players making the right passes, runs etc but I guess that ties back into my main point.
Lad, that's a fair post. Respect.

say yes

forum master baiter
I feel like he's a player who has an incredibly high ceiling but it's almost like he tracks the level of his team. He's always one of the better players on any team but is not the type to be a level above his teammates.

Agreed with most of the post other than this bit. Özil is several levels above almost all of his teammates.

He's not the kind of player that'll drag a poor team to trophies but very few are.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

At that Madrid side he was a key component and nobody doubted that he was a world class player, the fan and player reaction says it all.

At Arsenal he's still one of our better players but he hasn't been able to reach his Real Madrid levels because we're levels below Real. If my theory is true though then we shouldn't really sell him if we have ambition because our team will never outgrow him, he'll always get better as the team around him does.

Another point which is an after thought but probably just as big a reason if not more is the fact that Real Madrid were a counter attacking side and they executed them perfectly. No better player to have than Mesut if you have a bunch of high quality players making the right passes, runs etc but I guess that ties back into my main point.

He clearly reached levels above his Real time last season, and at times when we were ****, he dragged us through.

He's just in poor form atm. However I agree with the idea that he plays better when the team plays well, but that's the case for everyone.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Agreed with most of the post other than this bit. Özil is several levels above almost all of his teammates.

He's not the kind of player that'll drag a poor team to trophies but very few are.
Yeah fair enough, 'level' is all subjective. He clearly miles better than some of the players we have but yeah. He won't be dragging us to trophies but like you said, no shame in that.

@Furious yeah last season kind of shoots holes in my theory as he did carry us for quite a bit but a large part of that is due to Cazorla enabling him. Annoying that we can't nail down a good central midfield to supply Özil.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yeah fair enough, 'level' is all subjective. He clearly miles better than some of the players we have but yeah. He won't be dragging us to trophies but like you said, no shame in that.

@Furious yeah last season kind of shoots holes in my theory as he did carry us for quite a bit but a large part of that is due to Cazorla enabling him. Annoying that we can't nail down a good central midfield to supply Özil.

He's miles technically better than most but Santi . He's more of a conduit in how he affect the game that's why he fits seamlessly into better technical teams also why he looks good when Santi or someone else.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

RvP did that for two seasons in a row.
0ae218d0-f35b-11e3-9b10-71825bffa3bf_van-persie-goal-gallery.jpg

Giroud

Established Member
In fairness Özil was a counter attacking beast under Mourinho. It's clear he's a different player at Arsenal and far less direct. That being said last season was probably the greatest creative season in Premier League history.

Last season he had Sanchez attacking the box from the left/right and Giroud as a target man in central areas. This season he has a false 9 in front of him playing too deep in central areas and Iwobi playing a midfield role on the left which again means he's too deep. Too few options for a number 10 in this system.

Unfortunately Özil is wasting his best years playing in this rubbish system under Wenger. If anything last season proved that our team should be built around him.

karl

New players at Arsenal gradually become infected by complacency and self-doubt when facing top teams. His quiet character on the picth doesn't allow him to drag others to a better standard.

I wonder why Madrid were so happy to move him on, if he was such a key component. I guess they saw a better way.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

He's miles technically better than most but Santi . He's more of a conduit in how he affect the game that's why he fits seamlessly into better technical teams also why he looks good when Santi or someone else.
Conduit. That one word would have saved me a whole paragraph.

Damn you and your diction.:lol:

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

New players at Arsenal gradually become infected by complacency and self-doubt when facing top teams. His quiet character on the picth doesn't allow him to drag others to a better standard.

I wonder why Madrid were so happy to move him on, if he was such a key component. I guess they saw a better way.
Nope they just wanted Bale. He was far from being the problem.

There was outrage amongst the fans and players when he left.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
Bierhoff saying Özil was let down by his teammates in the Bayern game:

http://www.espnfc.us/arsenal/story/...y-arsenal-in-bayern-munich-thrashing-bierhoff

I don't understand why its so outrageous to expect Özil to perform in big games - teammates playing well or not. Just seems to be one excuse after the next.

We'll never win anything if we can't get our stars to perform.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Keep saying it, he's a luxury player. Which is amazing to have, the kind of player you get once you have built a quality team. But we're always a few key players and some mental stability short, with Wenger, from having the kind of team that benefits from an Özil all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I will sign every contract Arsenal put in front of me without reading it.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom