• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bale and Zidane hate each other. He still plays and still produces great moments.

SAF and Keane rarely saw eye-to-eye. They too won everything.

As a manager, you need to put the team first.

GDeep™

League is very weak
In football you always hear about people who didn’t train well, others who needed an arm around them from the manager etc, “man management”.

Özil played well against Watford.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Emery is not allowed to make any signings at all. But he is allowed to decide who plays and who doesn't that. Mkhitaryan played a lot, until Raul sold him. Xhaka still plays a lot. As I've said, we should be thankful things are like that, or we would have a team of Carrasco, Praet, Meunier if it was up to Emery.

Have a good day!

So Emery has no choice in players he gets (while it has been said that the managerial staff talk together about things, which makes total sense).

But then the same thing is used against him, that he wants to buy these "crap" players, while the basis for it is some crappy rumours in the media.

By this logic it's Raul who wanted those players you keep mentioning. :facepalm: :rofl: Emery has nothing to say to it by this logic.

drippin

@drippin cant post without mentioning Ben Arfa now haha haha

Yep, you never acknowledged that very silly argument, so I might as well bring it up until you see it. Maybe you missed it. But it was good additional argument here anyway.

Bennett

In football you always hear about people who didn’t train well, others who needed an arm around them from the manager etc, “man management”.

Özil played well against Watford.

You also hear loads about talented players who feel like they're above putting a shift in no matter what how you try to motivate them. They usually wind up dropped and playing in the MLS, China or Turkey. Per mentioned in his comments that he's tried multiple different ways to motivate Özil and he doesn't know how to get through to him. It's not Accommodate Özil FC. He played one good pass against Watford and apart from that had a pretty standard generic Özil game.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
So Emery has no choice in players he gets (while it has been said that the managerial staff talk together about things, which makes total sense).

But then the same thing is used against him, that he wants to buy these "crap" players, while the basis for it is some crappy rumours in the media.

By this logic it's Raul who wanted those players you keep mentioning. :facepalm: :rofl:
It‘s not Raul who wanted these players, thank god. Búmery was only allowed to make one bum signing in Suarez before it was shut down. At the time we were linked with Perisic, Fraser and Carrasco. Says it all really.

drippin

It‘s not Raul who wanted these players, thank god. Búmery was only allowed to make one bum signing in Suarez before it was shut down. PSG were not so ruthless :lol:

I just showed how faulty logic that is. Wanna argue against it maybe?

I'd rather we talk about facts and critizice him based on those so it's not boy who cried wolf and we end up talking total nonsense in the end.

Your posts look like total trolling to me, so I won't go much further.

drippin

Although in my mind I will start calling you Mr. Craphouse, because you talk mostly crap. You can take it as you name-call others.

Divided_Pie

Playing Özil at this point is a lose/lose proposition for Emery.

Someone asked the question in one of the threads (paraphrasing) - if Emery would truly pick a team that would reduce the chances of winning. Emery's comment about other players being more "deserving" than Özil, IMO, answers that question, and the answer is clearly yes.

Emery doesn't play Özil and the team wins: Win for Emery
Emery doesn't play Özil and the team loses: Loss for Emery
Emery plays Özil and the team loses: Loss for Emery
Emery plays Özil and the team wins: Loss for Emery

The last possibility, even though it results in a win for the team, serves to prove Emery wrong in his approach to Özil and his team setup overall, and doesn't help Emery to get another year (or more) as coach at Arsenal.

Emery is a control freak with a fragile ego. He wants to win through tactics and he wants disciplined players who will execute those tactics unquestioningly. He doesn't want to leave it to the players and their individual talent, creativity, and reading of the game -- that was Wenger's approach.

He won't play Özil because he doesn't want to be proven wrong. It's the same reason he persists with Xhaka, and the same reason he's resorting to playing Torreira at AM.

Bennett

Hard workers are what good teams are made out of ffs. It's the very base requirement. You're acting like he only signs players with no skill. Can't you see what you're typing?

It's seriously hilarious the lengths people are going to make up whatever adhoc justifications for what they want to believe. As if Pep didn't come in and turn traditional number 10s Silva and KDB into hard pressing runners in a midfield 3, and demand that Aguero either adapt or get dropped (hint: he adapted and is now in the best shape of his career at 30, scoring loads AND functioning in a high energy team unit). As if Liverpool's rise back being one of the top teams in the land isn't based around the team being a collective where EVERYONE has to put in a shift individually for it to function as a unit, and where things fall apart if one guy doesn't feel like pressing or making a tackle today.

People's brains have been broken defending Özil so much over the past few years that they've become 100% believers that you either get technical skills or hard work, and it's impossible to expect both from one player.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I just showed how faulty logic that is. Wanna argue against it maybe?

I'd rather we talk about facts and critizice him based on those so it's not boy who cried wolf and we end up talking total nonsense in the end.

Your posts look like total trolling to me, so I won't go much further.
You talk about facts a lot but constantly ignore the ones I post. Emery signed Krychowiak for PSG, because he thought they needed a big lump in midfield. Emery keeps playing Xhaka because he thinks we need a big lump in midfield. Emery played Mkhitaryan in the most important games and featured him regularly despite poor performances, because he runs a lot. Emery benches Özil because he doesn’t run around a lot. He’s a bum manager. If you like him, good for you.

drippin

You talk about facts a lot but constantly ignore the ones I post. Emery signed Krychowiak for PSG, because he thought they needed a big lump in midfield. Emery keeps playing Xhaka because he thinks we need a big lump in midfield. Emery played Mkhitaryan in the most important games and featured him regularly despite poor performances, because he runs a lot. Emery benches Özil because he doesn’t run around a lot. He’s a bum manager. If you like him, good for you.

I respect him, not necessarily like him. Haven't seen so much about him yet, like Wenger. Pretty nice dude it seems. He is Arsenal head coach, and Raul for example has trust in him.

You can argue those things as facts that he likes some lumps. Thiago Motta too. We can pick players and go on and on with this. Every manager has bad buys. Wenger liked Xhaka lump and Mkhi enough to buy them.

But remember, Emery has nothing to do with those buys in Arsenal at least by your logic.

I'm not interested in it. Have a good weekend.

drippin

Don’t think you want insult anyone with that username. Drippin for Emery’s bum.

Hehe, good one! I'm surely drippin, you can imagine what that means as you fancy.

Sometimes rippin people to shreds with words, sometimes trippin, sometimes drippin in other ways.

drippin

Imagine how hard it must be to be an Emery fanboy. He has nothing to show for, success nor great football. SAF laughed in his face when he tried to big up the Europa League :rofl:

I'm no Emery fanboy, that's for sure. Arsenal fan of course.

But to use United legend manager to stick the current Arsenal head coach is a new level in argumentation in an Arsenal forum.

Divided_Pie

Here are all of the Mertesacker quotes on Özil I could find. I bolded some of the quotes that I think are important. For me, I frame what Per is saying around the fact that he works for Arsenal FC and is not going to say anything that he thinks would clearly undermine the coach. Still, you see him say that Arsenal need Özil on the pitch and for the team to be built around him playing the #10 position.

It all comes down to Emery requiring "a certain level of fitness," and I personally a) care more about matchday results than I care about effort in training, and b) don't trust Emery to make a fair and objective assessment of Özil's "level of fitness."

>>>

“Yeah [I understand Arsenal fans’ frustrations with Özil] because probably they don’t understand him,”

“I know how to take him and how to try to pinch him when needed. But ultimately it has to come from him if he wants to go to the next level. But he can deliver.

“He loves playing football, it doesn’t come across so often. He is a genius in terms of what he can produce with the ball and you can see that in every training session.

“Once he gets the ball, he’s rested. He thinks he plays in the park. He can deliver that ball that no one else can deliver. He has got that magical sense.

“He wants to be OK with everyone. He is not the kind of guy who approaches people and says: ‘You need to do this, that and that.’ “He’s a different character and sometimes I struggled with that. Sometimes I was really p****d with him for days and weeks.”

“He needs to play at this best, when he is a leader on the field because of his actions with the football, because of this magic touch no one has in the squad. No one has that in the squad and we really need that.

I want him to be as fit as possible and the manager to get the best out of him by putting him in the number ten position, because that’s him playing him at his best.

“But the manager has requirements for that to happen. So I wish that Mesut puts a shift in, gets fit as quickly as possible and blows everyone away again.

“There’s a lot of doubt with him, but he can deliver and that’s what’s stuck with me through all our years at Bremen, the Germany national team and Arsenal, that he has the capability of doing so.

“I hope Mesut can get fit. Unai requires a certain fitness level.

“Unai is fair to everyone. You need to deliver a certain fitness level – then you are available to play. Unai tries to get through to him.

"He talks to him, saying: ‘You need to train to a certain level every day – I need you to be fit – otherwise you are not going to play.’

“That’s what I’ve seen. He puts him in the squad but then leaves him on the bench. If he trains to the level that’s required, he can play.

“Personally, I’m in favour of that. When Mesut is fit, he is one of our best players.

"He needs to be in there. We need to build the team around him and make him stronger.”

“It’s his personality, he doesn’t take it personally. I don’t know what the trigger is. I had my go.

"I’ve tried very hard to be close, to stay away from him... sometimes I’ve given him a shout, sometimes not. He was OK with everything.

“It’s about Mesut himself. He can deliver for us. I gave him the feeling I trusted him on the pitch. I knew in pressure situations, I could give him the ball.

“He has talent. Now it’s up to others to unlock it.

GDeep™

League is very weak

But to use United legend manager to stick the current Arsenal head coach is a new level in argumentation in an Arsenal forum.
You must be new here, what you said has been normal on here for years. Guys like Jose, Alex etc used to attack Wenger.

People on here enjoyed Jose constantly attacking Wenger too.

Shouldn’t happen, but it’s normal service here.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi

I thought you were going?

Using SAF quotes that bash our current manager, who will likely be gone next year is surely not as bad as comparing our actual legendary manager to this bum and insulting HIM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom