• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Monreal: Nacho 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Not sure you can have two tiny FB's in the PL. Would prefer we go back in for Sidibe after he's done well at Monaco.
We sure are losing height with the recent changes. The front six are either tiny or wimps apart from Xhaka... Adding another tiny player could be an issue.

OSBK

Established Member
He has always been suspect 1 vs 1.

But remember it is a team game, where are our dm's when our lb is getting ripped? Where is the lw? Who is the covering cb? Why hasnt the manger changed it to stop it?

4-2-3-1 is great when you have the right players. But when you have tactically inept players and a manager who wont make the changes quick enough then people get exposed.

Time to go back to 3 in midfield.

RUS arsenal

Established Member
For all his problems 1 vs 1 during the City game he was practically the only one to find ways to get through the press and start attacks while carrying the ball.

TinFish

This guy needs to be sold or play second fiddle to a new left back. He is declining sadly. Another player that is consistent against mediocre clubs but gets exposed against top teams...
However Gibbs is NOT the solution. One of them needs to be sold and the other needs to be backup...

Impact

Established Member
Not sure you can have two tiny FB's in the PL. Would prefer we go back in for Sidibe after he's done well at Monaco.

Bellerín stands at 5ft 10in, which I think is hardly small. Though I wholeheartedly share your reservation about Gayà potentially being physically unsuitable for Premier League football.

Yeah I have to agree, as much as I hate to admit it. My man Nacho has not looked nearly as good this year, really seems to have slowed a bit and has been getting beat too often.

Still a better option for us than Gibbs, but a new younger LB either in Jan or the summer is definitely the right move.

Personally I think Gibbs should be kept ahead of Monreal. Nacho's issues with pacy wingers are only going to get worse as he deteriorates physically. Gibbs has also been very good this season and is at a good age too. He has become used to acting as a rotation option. Add that he contributes to our homegrown numbers and I can't see why we should keep Monreal ahead of him.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I've been banging the Gibbs drum for a while now, most unfairly maligned player on here.

Was never much between him and Monreal to start with.
You serious? This season maybe, and that's when Monreal has hit a rough patch and Gibbs is doing ok. Since Monreal got going, no chance Gibbs was anywhere close to Nacho. And that's under a manager that doesn't hide his preference for our golden British boys.

say yes

forum master baiter
You serious? This season maybe, and that's when Monreal has hit a rough patch and Gibbs is doing ok. Since Monreal got going, no chance Gibbs was anywhere close to Nacho. And that's under a manager that doesn't hide his preference for our golden British boys.

Completely serious. I think Gibbs is a decent left back.

Monreal was better than decent for a while and rightly supplanted Gibbs in the team. Not playing at that level any more however and nationality has nothing to do with it.

say yes

forum master baiter
Gibbs has never been a bad defender. Most of the criticism he received was for how ineffective he was going forward.

With the emergence of Bellerin at RB, we don't require as much from our LB offensively and I'd rather have a defender there who can deal with pace/isn't trying to break the record for most penalties conceded in a season. He's not a special talent, but he gives you 6/10 every week.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Sorry @say yes but Gibbs is was and is an average to poor defender. His positioning could at times be diabolical and was always prone to ball watching. Some of the goals we've conceded with Gibbs at left back in lalaland was infuriating.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Gibbs has played much better recently, better than he has for a long time, maybe ever. It was fair to assume that he would play at some point during our busy periods but oh no, Wenger doesn't do logic, he sticks with the same players game in game out then complains that we don't win because we look maybe a little bit tired. Obviously I know Gibbs isnt going to make a huge difference, but a few changes when we have a run of games seems logical to me.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Gibbs has never been a bad defender. Most of the criticism he received was for how ineffective he was going forward.

With the emergence of Bellerin at RB, we don't require as much from our LB offensively and I'd rather have a defender there who can deal with pace/isn't trying to break the record for most penalties conceded in a season. He's not a special talent, but he gives you 6/10 every week.

Come on mate, Gibbo has put in some absolute defensive shockers. I like how he's being used now, rotating in now and then and doing a job. Gibbs has shown he doesn't have what it takes to be a starting LB for us, hence why Nacho came in and ousted him in the first place.

He's suspect positionally and his decision making is poor. What he does have is fantastic acceleration and tidy close control on that left peg. That said, he's not a good crosser at all- which is a shame. There was a stage I thought Gibbo was twice the player of Danny Rose, how wrong was I?! Rose is a year younger and has come on leaps and bounds this season, it has to be said.

Gibbs is peaking and hasn't progressed much since his early 20's. He's a fine backup LB and I get the feeling he's happy with that role. Nacho is still quality too, but he's definitely slower this season. His defending for Sterling's winner was shambolic though.

New LB should be a priority now. Jose Gaya, Ricardo Rodriguez, Kieran Tierney, Benjamin Mendy.. there's options out there.

Last edited:

say yes

forum master baiter
@Gooner Zig @Taylor Gang Gunners

Respect both your opinions so willing to concede this one until Gibbs gets a decent run again and I can refresh my point of view.

Think the thread title is spot on tbh. Monreal is going stale, and

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom