• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Monreal: Nacho 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giroud

Established Member
Monreal at his peak was miles better than Gibbs. Going forward Monreal has never been great but he keeps the ball well and always provided width. Defensively however he's always been excellent. Mixedknuts and statlurker on Twitter were looking at defensive activity in the Arsenal team and while ago and found a massive high intensity spot on the left wing where we won the ball back most often dubbed the "Nacho Monreal Zone of Death". Always been one of the most underrated players around.

I do think he seems to have lost a yard of pace this year though and the decline in his physical attributes has led to him becoming more exposed at times. Gibbs should be shipped out and we should take a gamble on a young exciting fullback like Grimaldo or Gaya to rotate with Monreal and eventually take over.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
Gibbs has never been a bad defender. Most of the criticism he received was for how ineffective he was going forward.

With the emergence of Bellerin at RB, we don't require as much from our LB offensively and I'd rather have a defender there who can deal with pace/isn't trying to break the record for most penalties conceded in a season. He's not a special talent, but he gives you 6/10 every week.

:lol:

It's the other way round mate. Gibbs is decent at going forward but when it comes to defending, just like Clichy, he tends to disrupt the offside trap. He seems to suffer a bit of Senderos's lapse of concentration too.

A decent backup to an aging Nacho but we have to do better than both of them.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Earlier I was going on about Nacho's underrated positioning quality, and how often he was the guy in the right place to intercept a pass when our defense is collapsing. I looked at the premier league site for some interception stats and I was expecting something good, but not as good as what I found. Nacho has been one of the top guys in the premier league on interceptions for the last three seasons, including this one. Its always nice to see something you thought yourself collaborated by those stats. :)

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Earlier I was going on about Nacho's underrated positioning quality, and how often he was the guy in the right place to intercept a pass when our defense is collapsing. I looked at the premier league site for some interception stats and I was expecting something good, but not as good as what I found. Nacho has been one of the top guys in the premier league on interceptions for the last three seasons, including this one. Its always nice to see something you thought yourself collaborated by those stats. :)
stats are lies. ask @Iddi

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I was at the Swansea game, and was impressed by Nacho's resilience and work rate, despite his receiving quite a buffeting from several Swansea players

he is no powerhouse but that doesn't stop him getting stuck in, and he doesn't leave the hard work to others

we would be the poorer without him

Ewarwoowar

Back somewhat to His peak and ask only of him to practice putting the ******* ball in with his left ******* foot, that's all nothing more, him cutting back is a constant and scuppers our ability to take advantage of ever decreasing space.

To say He is reticent is a huge ******* understatement and the one thing Gibbs has over him, oh and a little more pace.

mm76

Yer Da
just going from the Arsenal website 'highlights' Monreal had a shocker on Saturday, completely abandoned his positon for the first goal and nearly gave away another - more proof that while he's good going forward he's become ever more dreadful covering defensively - trouble is when Gibbs seems to be the only other option it doesn't leave us with much choice...

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
In the 2 games he faced Mane this season, he's been brutally destroyed. There was one moment in the second half when Mane was in the corner about 2 yards infront of Monreal. He didn't even dribble, stepover or nutmeg, he just kicked it forward and ran in a straight line and all Monreal could do was try to grab his shirt. It was painful watching.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I have been saying it for years

I got a little respit from me when he stepped into CD last season or was it two seasons ago? not that he was great but rather that he was not horrible

better squadplayer than Gibbs...

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Ox & Walcott can probably thank training with Monreal for their prolonged Arsenal careers.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Been an average signing overall. Had one season I think where he was very good but overall teams have targeted him and often exploit him.

blaze_of_glory

He's declined this year but been brilliant for us prior to this point I think. Best LB we've had since Cole and I don't think its even close.

Definitely need someone to replace him now though, he's lost a step and its hurting every game.

footydroid

He was great for 2 years, very underrated outside of our fans. This season his standard has slipped. We need a new LB. Still prefer him to Gibbs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom