• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Yes I realised, was just having a laugh. Anyway, for a very long period last season he didn't deliver at all, so "always" delivers is inaccurate. Being French perhaps it should be "Always delivers when he's not on strike!" :)

Well I had a laugh anyway. Fingers crossed he keeps delivering , although am at a loss as to why Sanchez in not in the middle anymore .

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Well I had a laugh anyway. Fingers crossed he keeps delivering , although am at a loss as to why Sanchez in not in the middle anymore .

Yes me too, especially when Wenger had praised him publicly for adapting to CF so well this season. I guess he's flexible and can play anywhere across the front, whereas Giroud can only play CF. I think Alexis wide is contributing to his attitude/behaviour. It would be awful to lose him just so Giroud can play CF, something most of us wanted to get away from not long ago.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Giroud's form has caused Wenger a massive headache. How can you leave a guy out who looks as if he's gonna score every game?

Plus, it's not as if we can play Giroud on the left. It's a difficult one.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Giroud's form has caused Wenger a massive headache. How can you leave a guy out who looks as if he's gonna score every game?

I'd pay to see that you know. Giroud on the left. Will be ****ing hilarious.

novarek

When our attack is crap and we aren't creating any chances you can see Giroud drifting to a wing and sending crosses, it was a semi regular feature last season

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

By looking at the overall net effect. He may be scoring every game (during a convenient run of easy fixtures), but would Alexis at CF not have scored in those games also? We're wasting the talents of a far superior CF while several others around him are scoring less, and the team overall is creating fewer clear cut chances due to lack of movement.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Giroud will find himself back on the bench come February.

Alexis is world class and is our starting CF, but our attack needs two legitimate goal scoring threats to be effective. Iwobi and Ox can score, but that really isn't their strong suit.

When Walcott was healthy we had two goal scorers and Alexis could play in his preferred position.

Lucas is still getting used to the EPL, but it looks like he should be ready to contribute at this point. However, I don't think we should consider him as a starter just yet. So dropping Giroud for Lucas and playing Alexis at CF might not make sense since Giroud is in great form.

Welbeck has been injured for a while and we're easing him back in, so dropping Giroud for Welbeck wouldn't make sense either.

However, by the end of the month Walcott should be fit, Welbeck should be fit too, and Lucas should be fully adapted to the EPL. All three of these guys allow Alexis to play CF.

Right now Alexis and Giroud are our only two legitimate goal scorers who are fully fit and ready. By the end of the month, that will change and come February I'd expect Giroud to become our Plan B option again.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
By looking at the overall net effect. He may be scoring every game (during a convenient run of easy fixtures), but would Alexis at CF not have scored in those games also? We're wasting the talents of a far superior CF while several others around him are scoring less, and the team overall is creating fewer clear cut chances due to lack of movement.

I prefer Alexis through the middle too, just saying as a striker, if you're scoring goals every week you tend to stay in the team. Giroud is red hot atm, 9 in 9 ffs.

Giroud

Established Member

Alexis always scores and creates from the left as he has done the last two seasons so why not keep him there and have another goalscorer up top? Özil has also assisted Giroud a crazy amount of times over his Arsenal career so having him up front clearly suits the German which shows that Özil in fact does not need quick fluid movers ahead of him. He actually does better with someone who can be a dominant presence in the space right in front of the goal ie. Not Sanchez and Walcott.

Sanchez is a much better player than Giroud but as a team we've suffered a bit going forward. We're actually creating LESS chances too this season than last time around basically because Özil isn't contributing as much as he had in the past (http://statsbomb.com/2017/01/is-there-a-hole-in-mesut-Özil/).

So there is really no reason at all to drop Giroud who is in flying form at the moment.

Marmaduke

It's a good conundrum to have folks..... While Giroud is on form keep him in the team, it makes total and complete sense period. You can't say "oh well with our more fluid movement with Sanchez we would have certainly put those draws away". No.

Our problem has been a confusing midfield and leaky defense, offense really is the least of our worries at the moment.

The moment Giroud starts dropping off we have Sanchez to step in who can arguable make our overall play better. Our 3/4th choice for CF are Lucas and Welbeck which whatever you rate them, is fantastic squad depth.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

As long as we're winning, don't drop him.

When we get to a game where it looks like the hot streak is over then drop him the next game, maybe even sub him in that current game. You just can't justify dropping him right now.

say yes

forum master baiter
Dropping someone once you've already dropped points is too late.

Up to Wenger to pick the right time but we all know Giroud isn't good enough to be a starter here.

Giroud

Established Member
Dropping someone once you've already dropped points is too late.

Up to Wenger to pick the right time but we all know Giroud isn't good enough to be a starter here.

Moving Sanchez centrally means we have to start Walcott, Perez, Welbeck or Chamberlain and although Giroud can be a streaky performer over his whole Arsenal career he's proven himself to be better than all of those. Moving Sanchez centrally clearly has had a detrimental effect on Özil too. Sanchez performs wherever he plays.

Currently our best 11 includes Giroud up front flanked by Iwobi and Sanchez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom