• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Olivier Giroud: Au Revoir Cher Ami

Status
Not open for further replies.

say yes

forum master baiter
I know what you mean, but dropping them before you've dropped points is too early :lol:

Momentum's like a cigarette; you smoke it to the end :cool:

Yep. It's a tough/good problem to have for Wenger. Ultimately think it's better to err on the side of caution however. His job is to win games, not keep Giroud happy.

say yes

forum master baiter
Moving Sanchez centrally means we have to start Walcott, Perez, Welbeck or Chamberlain and although Giroud can be a streaky performer over his whole Arsenal career he's proven himself to be better than all of those. Moving Sanchez centrally clearly has had a detrimental effect on Özil too. Sanchez performs wherever he plays.

Currently our best 11 includes Giroud up front flanked by Iwobi and Sanchez.

We score more goals & look a much better side with Sanchez up top.

Sanchez has never combined well with Giroud out wide and is having the most productive season of his career at CF. Credit to Giroud for how he has done recently but going forward it's a no-brainer.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I feel the players are alot more at easy & play better with Giroud in the side. Its to be expected with how he leads the line & gives us shape.

Alexis central certainly has the higher ceiling but we need the correct players out wide & a good run of games to gel. But no real point making the switch & building round him now if hes off in a few months.

Giroud

Established Member
We score more goals & look a much better side with Sanchez up top.

Sanchez has never combined well with Giroud out wide and is having the most productive season of his career at CF. Credit to Giroud for how he has done recently but going forward it's a no-brainer.

I don't know the exact figures on goals but expected goals (measure of chance creation) has a much stronger correlation with points than goals. So the important thing is we're down on expected goals as shown in that article which means we are creating less largely because Özil hasn't been contributing as much.

Sanchez performs wherever he plays. That's a fact. Özil on the other hand wants a striker he can find in front of goal and dominates that area from the 6 yard box to the penalty area which Giroud does. Özil also creates more for Sanchez when he drifts in from outwide which was also shown in that article I linked.

Sanchez not performing with Giroud is a myth. We create more chances with Sanchez, Giroud and Özil in the side and are a better side with all three in the team. Again that's a fact.

It's about getting the best out of the team not one individual.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Yep. It's a tough/good problem to have for Wenger. Ultimately think it's better to err on the side of caution however. His job is to win games, not keep Giroud happy.
How do you rate Giroud's shoulders?

novarek

From that discussion you can tell and fear Giroud will be the next victim of the Walcott syndrome, the main cause of more than a decade of mediocrity. The problem is not Alexis and it has never been.

No matter how well the better players do, Walcott must always have his spot and we must always play to his strengths regardless of the team not achieving anything with it. He can have more tap ins with Alexis playing CF then so be it.

Giroud

Established Member
Nope. Sanchez goals/assists return is not good when playing with Giroud. It is not a myth. It is proven by stats.

Again there are better measures of performance than goals and assists and show me that there is a significant difference between Sanchez's performances when Giroud plays and not. And I stress significant.

In the end though we create more when Giroud, Sanchez and Özil are on the pitch at the same time.

say yes

forum master baiter
I don't know the exact figures on goals but expected goals (measure of chance creation) has a much stronger correlation with points than goals. So the important thing is we're down on expected goals as shown in that article which means we are creating less largely because Özil hasn't been contributing as much.

:eek:

That is genuinely one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read about football. Please tell me you don't actually believe that expected goals have a higher correlation with points/are more important than actual goals? Please.

Sanchez not performing with Giroud is a myth.

(games-goals-assists)

Sanchez with Giroud as CF:
58-18-12 (0.52 goal contributions/game)

Sanchez with Welbeck as CF:
22-13-6 (0.86 goal contributions/game)

Sanchez with Walcott as CF:
10-8-2 (1.0 goal contributions/game)

Sanchez at CF:
28-15-11 (0.93 goal contributions/game)

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It's an interesting one. As much as I think we look better offensively with Alexis doing his thing up front, I wouldn't say changing the shape of a forward line that has seen some sort of revival, was erring on the side of caution.

I don't think a side that's been as inconsistent as we've been can afford to piss around, and I spend most days swinging off Alexis' nuts.

It's an interesting one. As much as I think we look better offensively with Alexis doing his thing up front, I wouldn't say changing the shape of a forward line that has seen some sort of revival, was erring on the side of caution.

I don't think a side that's been as inconsistent as we've been can afford to piss around, and I spend most days swinging off Alexis' nuts.

We have been trying to win the league with Giroud upfront for four years... Changes are needed. The worst thing is that Wenger is very bad at changes... It takes forever for him to get his ideas to the players.

Giroud

Established Member
:eek:

That is genuinely one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read about football. Please tell me you don't actually believe that expected goals have a higher correlation with points/are more important than actual goals? Please.

Yes it's true. So check your facts before spouting rubbish. :lol:

predict_test_gdpts.0.png

There you go, xG comes out on top. It predicts future goal difference and points better than any of the other measures listed.

(games-goals-assists)

Sanchez with Giroud as CF:
58-18-12 (0.52 goal contributions/game)

Sanchez with Welbeck as CF:
22-13-6 (0.86 goal contributions/game)

Sanchez with Walcott as CF:
10-8-2 (1.0 goal contributions/game)

Sanchez at CF:
28-15-11 (0.93 goal contributions/game)

You can't just throw relationships from small samples together and come to a meaningful conclusion. What about his conversion rate over that period, expected goals/90, expected assists/90, dribbles/90, key passes/90, through balls/90, passes into box/90, touches in box/90 and you can go on. Stuff like that is why people hate stats. You really can't throw goals and assists together from small samples and come to the conclusion that Sanchez doesn't work with Giroud. It's not that simple.

Sanchez's conversion rate has gone through the roof this season. I don't believe that is sustainable and as you've brought small samples to the table which are going to skew your results in favour of him playing without Giroud. From watching Arsenal play week in week out Sanchez excels out wide or in the centre. Goals and assists from a small sample is not going to change my view on that. Bring some more advanced statistics to the table that support your view or some other sort of analysis whether it be tactical or whatever and maybe you can convince me.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
We have been trying to win the league with Giroud upfront for four years... Changes are needed. The worst thing is that Wenger is very bad at changes... It takes forever for him to get his ideas to the players.
I'm not saying he should be up front forever. Giroud being our main striker for so long has no doubt cost us. I'm talking about letting the pantomime play out while it still entertains us. We still have the molly up our sleeve (Alexis) if it gets boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom