• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL I Arsenal v West Brom I Boxing Day I 3pm GMT

Result

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OSBK

Established Member
Our tempo in the second half was much better.

They parked the bus well, was going to take something special to open them up. We didnt need coq and chakka midfield, we should have played 2 up top.Chakka was very good, some great long balls today.

Was good to see giroud score, aside from that he was horrible. For someone who has not played that much he should be busting a gut like sanchez, he swanned around like he was gullit.

Gab and kos bossed it!

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The team selection was horrible for this. Giroud at CF flanked by two wingers that want to cut in all the time?

We need to get Özil as wide as possible when Giroud starts, one of our most effective combos that way.

Sir Bump

Unhealthy obsession with Aaron Ramsey
Why do people want to give players who have good cameos off the bench a start the next game ????
They are coming on to change a game with a different style of play, a plan b. They are not a plan a option. Only when needed through injuries, or consistent bad form do they get a start.

Giroud, Ramsey, Ox, Wellbeck, Elneny and I think Walcott/Perez are in the same club. They are not first team quality.
You keep them on the bench.

carlito'sway

Established Member
I just watched the 2nd half again

Couple of thoughts
- We were generally very impressive in the second half, created plenty of chances. I still feel like this team is a high quality attacker away from truly blowing teams away, even teams like WBA who come to park a double decker.

Too many times Alexis carries our attack, can you just imagine another player who is even remotely close to Alexis' ability being able to share that attacking burden? We have Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo, Iwobi, Lucas, Welbeck all as wide options in the 1st team yet none of them posses the ability (Iwobi might do in time and it's too early to be definitive on Lucas) to take our attack to the next level. Those players combined are probably on 400-500K in wages yet the comparative output is not good enough for a team with title aspirations. I would sell two of that lot and upgrade to a bona fide A grader.

- Xhaka was everywhere, great positioning, passing incisive as usual - top game from him.

- Ramsey was also fantastic when he came on. His passing was sharp and quick, did not dwell on the ball like he tends to, and most importantly he was very disciplined and timed his runs into the box very well.

- Everytime I watch the Giroud goal it gets better - fantastic header.

Agree on most accounts.

-The second half was much better. We played faster, higher tempo. Really good second half performance vs a well drilled defensive team.
- Xhaka was dominant in possession and passing. It was a clinic.
- I have said that for months now, we need an upgrade on the flanks. The current crew is not good enough. Would gladly see two of them leaving for a Reus or even a Mahrez.
- Was not totally impressed by Ramsey's cameo though. He missed two great chances. The second particularly was egregious.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I just watched the 2nd half again

Couple of thoughts
- We were generally very impressive in the second half, created plenty of chances. I still feel like this team is a high quality attacker away from truly blowing teams away, even teams like WBA who come to park a double decker.

Too many times Alexis carries our attack, can you just imagine another player who is even remotely close to Alexis' ability being able to share that attacking burden? We have Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo, Iwobi, Lucas, Welbeck all as wide options in the 1st team yet none of them posses the ability (Iwobi might do in time and it's too early to be definitive on Lucas) to take our attack to the next level. Those players combined are probably on 400-500K in wages yet the comparative output is not good enough for a team with title aspirations. I would sell two of that lot and upgrade to a bona fide A grader.

- Xhaka was everywhere, great positioning, passing incisive as usual - top game from him.

- Ramsey was also fantastic when he came on. His passing was sharp and quick, did not dwell on the ball like he tends to, and most importantly he was very disciplined and timed his runs into the box very well.

- Everytime I watch the Giroud goal it gets better - fantastic header.
Missed the game today but just watched recorded highlights.

This post pretty much sums it up. The only thing worth adding is that Gabriel looked reasonably solid for a change.

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

We need a Hazard, even a Hazard-lite could do.

Someone who can take multiple players out of the game and just do half the stuff that the Chelsea man comes up with.

Sanchez is a different type of winger - he's more of a beat one and get a shot or pass off kind of guy.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Very interesting numbers: time taken per goal kicks vs AFC. In average opposing GK's take 10 second more per goal kicks than Peter Cech.

CJJ

Established Member
Hi guys

I missed todays game unfortunately.. can anyone recap for me? How did we play? Any players that did exceptionally well?

Based on the stats it looked like a very good game, but they can lie...

Hi guys

I missed todays game unfortunately.. can anyone recap for me? How did we play? Any players that did exceptionally well?

Based on the stats it looked like a very good game, but they can lie...

We dominated the game but maybe struggled to create clear cut chances. We are also seriously lacking when shooting outside of the prn area.

Overall it was solid performance with no stand out playera. But Gabriel, Gibbs and Xhaka all had very good game!

Reactions: CJJ

CJJ

Established Member
We dominated the game but maybe struggled to create clear cut chances. We are also seriously lacking when shooting outside of the prn area.

Overall it was solid performance with no stand out playera. But Gabriel, Gibbs and Xhaka all had very good game!
Funny as i'd imagine that's where we really can utilize Xhaka's long range. Guess he didnt go for it, or maybe got closed down?

Funny as i'd imagine that's where we really can utilize Xhaka's long range. Guess he didnt go for it, or maybe got closed down?

He actually had a lot of time on the ball and had two shoots from long range. Both were blasted over.

He should keep trying thougj. We need to be able cause trouble from outside of pen area. He is our best bet to do it!

Polar Bear

Thank God we finally got the result, such hard work!. I'm happy we got the 3 points but we seriously have to improve if we really want the prem title. Very frustrating game overall.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

We need a Hazard, even a Hazard-lite could do.

Someone who can take multiple players out of the game and just do half the stuff that the Chelsea man comes up with.

Sanchez is a different type of winger - he's more of a beat one and get a shot or pass off kind of guy.

We do brother ... he was born in the year of the Ox , although Iwobi is a super talent as well .

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Time wasting should be looked at more closely, but it won't as such things are always brushed off as petty no matter how strong the stats are.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Time wasting should be looked at more closely, but it won't as such things are always brushed off as petty no matter how strong the stats are.
That's why a late goal like yesterday's feels extra good. All game Forster took his time, West Brom taking time pretending to be injured. No mas after 86'. :drool:

Wryer

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's why a late goal like yesterday's feels extra good. All game Forster took his time, West Brom taking time pretending to be injured. No mas after 86'. :drool:

Didn't you see how Foster messed up his kick when he tried to quicken things. Hilarious. It was as though his muscles got accustomed to the sloth like motions.

Not sure if UK had the same set of commentators on the game. The co-commentator was going on about how AW shouldn't whine about the time wasting because we didn't have the intensity and the situation was of our own making. Immediately after we scored, "finally Arsenal's patience paid off".

Sometimes I wonder if these commentators really understand the garbage coming out of their cavity. And I swear we get bashed every single time we struggle. From Arsène's "consistent buggering of the fourth official" to "Arsenal just want to score the perfect goal". Phil Neville is the worst of the lot.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Are you saying Ox is that guy?

You're too smart for me cel. :lol:

Yeah I am although it's probably would have been more prudent to PM this , not safe to big up Ox in these parts:lol: . Don't know why people are down on Iwobi either , people keep talking about personnel to beat the press yet he's already one of them . Technically brilliant

carlito'sway

Established Member
Yeah I am although it's probably would have been more prudent to PM this , not safe to big up Ox in these parts:lol: . Don't know why people are down on Iwobi either , people keep talking about personnel to beat the press yet he's already one of them . Technically brilliant

Celestis, I guess this is the giving season, so you are being generous! :lol:
Simply put, Iwobi and Ox do not offer enough end product to be considered first team material at this point. As previously mentioned by others, we need better performances and output on the flanks.
They are both good players, Iwobi seems to have a higher ceiling but I would be fine with selling a Ox (and even Theo) and invest the $$ on a Reus type of player. We need a third wheel to share the load with Özil and Alexis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom