• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 10/11 - race for the title

Where will Arsenal finish in the league this year?

• First

Votes: 96 38.7%
  • Second

Votes: 52 21.0%
  • Third

Votes: 70 28.2%
  • Fourth

Votes: 22 8.9%
  • Fifth or lower

Votes: 8 3.2%

• Total voters

otfgoon

Established Member
You heard me biggus!

But yeah, we're a month away from kick off and another rollercoaster ride. Will we compete? Will rivals drop/pull away? Will new rivals for the title come into the fold?

Part of me would love to see a Ligue 1 style title race this year, and considering none of the top 3 from last season seem to be going on a spending spree I think that may very well end up being the case.

asajoseph

Established Member
I haven't seen anything that gives me confidence that we've made the defensive improvements required to compete for any trophy this year.

Our best bet is a lucky FA cup draw, but the league looks out of reach, for the time being.

It's hard to look past Chelsea, for the time being, though I think United will continue to be strong, and City might make a push this year too, having had a year to bed down a bit.

otfgoon

Established Member
I said Chelsea would drop away last season because of the age of their squad to I think I'll shut up this year.

I do think United could be in big trouble though unless they pull a signing or two out of the bag.

asajoseph

Established Member
That's it really - I expect Chelsea to drop off, with an aging squad. Up front is where I think they could struggle the most, if Drogba and Anelka can't stay fit, and also depending on how Lumpard does.

But with United, I expect it to be even more of a problem, so I'm not too sure about them either.

Could be close between those two...

dbig

Just thinking of the title race earlier today and I think it'll be really tight. Winner ends up with around 82 points.

Will still have some whipping boys but the top half of the league will have some teams that are really hard to beat.

I'm all prepared for an exciting season ahead.

True Gooner

Established Member
*waits for someone to comment on the title*

I think we'll challenge but, ultimately, fall short unless we have some serious luck with injuries and form.

Double_H

Established Member
i had a dream that we won it winning all our games and we already won the FA cup and Carlingcup and playing Barca in the CL final and i have a ticket ...and i was there and it was 5-0 at the 76 min ....then i woke up

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I think we should remove the "race for the title" part. We are Arsenal and we dont need to justify and then modify our priorities each year.

Of course we in it for the title, we not running "our race" or "a race for 3rd/4th"

KY

Established Member
Not setting my hopes high. if we however DO end up winning it, I'm gonna get myself pissed drunk, fly myself over the emirates and parachute in with a proud flag of arsenal and a burning Barca crest...
:p

Rorz

Established Member
If we can get off to a positive start (4 wins out first 5 games etc) we will be challengers. A win at Anfield on the first day would be great for belief in the team.

Some key problems haven't been adressed yet though and as long as this remains the case we're likely to slip up at some point.

Should be another interesting season.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i think this will be one of the most open title races in years.. ManU havent really strengthened that much (other than that Mexican lad), Chelsea is Chelsea and will be typically strong (although, if Cashley goes to Madrid, they get weaker), we MIGHT be up there as long as we make a couple other key signings, Liverpool (erm, nevermind), Spuds will be stronger, Citeh will be stronger..

TG - as for the thread title, that will eventually change depending on how we are doing, but for now its OK.. heh

fabo

6.51 / 10
Chelsea or United for the title yet again I'd say. Chelsea have been 'aging' for a while but Lampard shows no signs of slowing down.

We look weak at GK, CB and CM....so will need our attack fit and firing all year to challenge and paper over the cracks.

Illusion

Established Member
Bit early to say what will happen for certain, we'll be up there, but there will probably be many injuries, a couple of humiliations by our rivals and a lot of complaining at Wenger when he throws the FA Cup away again.

Timleaf

Established Member
Any one of four can win it imo-us, Chelsea, Utd and City. Have a sneaky feeling City will finish either first or second.

James

Established Member
Really cannot see us challenging, unless a couple of key signings are made.

I do think City will be there or there abouts this season.

caldeltatrojan

I'll hold out on a prediction until the squad is more set than it is right now. I think we'll be an improved side (provided we sign a new GK and fill out our depth in the back with all the CBs leaving) and we'll be right up there all season competing for the title. Chelsea is the favorite but I think United are going to be more vulnerable if they aren't able to strengthen.

arsenallegends

Established Member
Will have to wait till its confirmed that we have a more confident goalkeeper that can command the back line and have purchased a central defender.

I do have some concerns unrelated to technical quality
-Aside from Walcott, we still have no pace on the wings and all of our wingers bar Arshavin keep width since all of them like to cut in.
-I'm under the general conception that our team doesn't look that physically strong (especially at the back)

In regards to the quality of our football, we lacked invention and speed (both on and off the ball) from Spring onwards so I hope we are able to enter the season with better chemistry and not entirely dependent on the Cesc effect.

Theres a lot to be confident about going in to the season but like others I will wait till we address some blaring deficiencies till I can vote. For now I'm quietly confident we can build on some very very good football from last season.

Burnwinter

Established Member
Pretty excited about the new season, so thanks for this thread.

Obviously we don't have the strength in depth to be sure of anything much. Third or fourth is the prediction, but I can imagine us doing better under rather special circumstances.

Has anyone else noticed our fixtures are weird this season - all our top tier matches are away in the first half of the season, and all at home in the run in? Except the NLDs. Dare say it's mentioned in that fixtures thread.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I dont expect anything spectulair, maby a good start again but we will fall apart again, cause Wenger hasnt strenght our team really, those buys were needed. so i dont expect anything less then a third place again.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Double_H said:
i had a dream that we won it winning all our games and we already won the FA cup and Carlingcup and playing Barca in the CL final and i have a ticket ...and i was there and it was 5-0 at the 76 min ....then i woke up

Fabregas 5x? and barca didnt want him?

Latest posts

Top Bottom