• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Samuel Eto'o

GOONERITTI

Eto'o is a Gooner!!!!

Accordind to Sunday Mirror .... Arsenal have won the race to sign Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o from Mallorca. Chelsea and Manchester United were also interested but the Gunners will land their man in a £14m deal in the summer.

Andrew

Would like to believe it but I won't... Especially from what Wenger has been saying lately, I can't see us signing anyone significant.

Andrew

Oh, didn't see the "summer" bit about it. Then that is more believable. Especially considering that Wiltord's likely to leave. Hope this is true.

KoLo28

i don't know whether to believe it, any how he may be with us at the start of next season.

themnov14

If I was made to replace AW for 15 second I would sign Eto but for now I would leave it all to Wenger but wished he sign the pacy forward to link up with Henry.

goonerdownunder

£14 million our record transfer (i'm sure it is held at the moment by wiltord for £10 or £11 million) for eto'o, he is a quality player but i dont think he is worth our record transfer, then again im sure mr wenger knows what he is doing. I hope the actuall figure is a little less but it would be great to see him at highbury.

OoDy

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport/con ... _page.html

Football: Arsenal get Eto'o Jan 4 2004

By Bill Mills

ARSENAL have beaten off competition from Chelsea and Manchester United to grab brilliant Cameroon international Samuel Eto'o from Mallorca.

The 22-year-old is billed as the next Thierry Henry and the £14m deal will be completed in the summer - unless Cameroon are knocked out of the African Nations Cup early enough for the move to go through in January.

The African is a product of the Real Madrid youth system so the Spanish champions have retained a 50% share in his transfer value - and they intend to offer that £7m as part of their relentless drive to buy Henry for £50m in the summer.

If Arsenal accept, the transfer would smash the world record and be worth £57m.

Madrid hold no rights over where Eto'o goes, and cannot prevent Arsenal completing his signing and ignoring Florentino Perez's offer to chip an extra £7m into a move for Henry.

David Dein's comment about "where in the world would we be able to find a replacement for Thierry Henry" two weeks ago has been taken by the Madrid powerbrokers as an indication that, with a cut price Eto'o on board, Arsenal might be persuaded to accept a bid for the Frenchman.

It would come with the carrot of a free half share in Eto'o and set money against the cost of building a stadium at Ashburton Grove.

Henry's own comment last week that it would be "easier to win the Champions League at Real Madrid" has also stoked Perez's determination to test Arsenal's resolve to the absolute maximum - especially in a year when the Madrid President must stand for re-election.

I Don`t Believe The Part Where It Says That Henry Goes To Real Madrid.. And I Read SomeWhere That Eto`o 50% Contract With Real Ends At The End Of The Season.. So He`s 100% A Mallorca Player By The End Of The Season!

gakc1

Does anyone really think Wenger would break our transfer record in the current financial climate. I just don't think we have that much money anymore .

Valleyman

14 million quid seems like a lot for someone who has under-achieved the last couple of seasons. Is definatly not worth that money.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Valleyman said:
14 million quid seems like a lot for someone who has under-achieved the last couple of seasons. Is definatly not worth that money.

The times I have seen him he looks like a second rase Henry. then again all strikers looksecond rate to Henry so maye I am been too harsh.

He struggles for the same type of goals and qaulity passes of Henry. Imo we need someone who is totally different. However AW is a master and I am not. If this is true then great, AW will make him a world beater.

Regarding the price tag .. we do have £14m but that is probably it. To spend it all on one player sounds unlikely.

We will see ... according to the papers last week Kluivert had signed with us, so we will see ... it's what Sundays are made for.

Valleyman

Webdesignlab said:
He struggles for the same type of goals and qaulity passes of Henry. Imo we need someone who is totally different.
Some kind of fox in the fox, aka Kluivert or Defoe.

Andrew

I wouldn't say Eto'o is completely like Henry. But he is the type that Wenger would go for. There is concerns he could turn out like Wiltord, but Eto'o at times can be brilliant. I still don't believe this article one bit, but if we would sign Eto'o I think he could walk into the starting line-up.

Mark

Established Member
i don't really think this is true, wenger said he wasn't keen on spending too much i doubt he'd suddenly go and spend £14 million.

The Mini

Hasn't anyone thought of the consequence to Ali? He's just about become 3rd choice striker for Arsenal behing Henry and Bergy, If Eto'o comes it'll be long term. Ali will one day want to play week after week, and with both Eto'o and Henry being young he'll want to leave

JazzG

Established Member
I don't rate him that highly. He had a few superb performances and has been over-hyped due to them imo.

Arsenal ain't gonna accept an offer for Henry from R.Madrid. Nice to see them twist Henry's comments. He said going to R.Madrid would be the easy route for winning the CL so he would rather win it with us.

At the end of this season R.Madrid will not own half of Eto'o contract so that part is BS as well......

Andrew

Yeah, well at the World Cup I thought he was very ordinary. Missed a lot of good chances... But generally the whole team were quite bad at WC2002.

Top Bottom