• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It is the beginning of December and we are three points off the top, and it is easy to believe that our team is only going to get better.

Thus far our season has been a combination of getting results while also acclimating new players and learning how to play a completely different attack. Our team had a lot of questions coming into the season, and thus far we've answered them pretty well.

Mustafi has settled in perfectly, Walcott has been performing well at RW, Alexis is becoming a better CF with every match, and Özil has already scored 8 goals.

Our midfield has struggled a little bit, but has been nothing close to our midfield struggles in previous seasons. Previously, our midfield could cost us goals, and that is no longer the case. Now we just need them to create more goals in the absence of Cazorla, and the emergence of Xhaka indicates that more goals could be on the way.

We have a solid defensive foundation with a lot of depth, too.

Additionally, the more Alexis develops the better our attack will get, and we have plenty of attacking options. Ox looks like he is turning a corner and has already scored 6 goals. Also, Ox's form means that we aren't too reliant on Iwobi because we don't need to put too much pressure on such a young player.

Also, Welbeck will be coming back in the new year, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas had a big impact in the second half of the season. He's still learning the league and his teammates, and that is while the whole team is getting used to a new look attack.

There is just a lot of evidence that our squad is going to get better, and this is exciting.

Reyes no.11

Formation: 4-2-3-1

GK: Cech, Ospina, Martinez
LB: Monreal, Gibbs
CB: Koscielny, Holding
CB: Mustafi, *Chambers
RB: Bellerin, Debuchy

CM: Xhaka, Elneny
DM: *J.Martinez, Coquelin

LM: Welbeck, *LM
AM: Sanchez, Cazorla, Iwobi
RM: Chamberlain, *RM

CF: *Icardi, Perez, *CF

In: Chambers, J.Martinez, LM, RM, Icardi, CF

Out: Mertesacker, Gabriel, Jenkinson, Wilshere, Ramsey, Özil, Walcott, Giroud, Sanogo, Campbell

First XI

------------------------------------------Cech

Bellerin---------------Mustafi-----------------Koscielny----------Monreal

-----------------------*J.Martinez---------------Xhaka

Chamberlain-----------------------Sanchez-----------------------Welbeck

---------------------------------------*Icardi

Subs: Ospina, *Chambers, Elneny, Cazorla, *LM, *RM, Perez

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Formation: 4-2-3-1

LB: Monreal, Gibbs
CB: Mustafi, *Chambers
RB: Bellerin, Debuchy

CM: Xhaka, Elneny
DM: *J.Martinez, Coquelin

AM: Sanchez, Cazorla, Iwobi
RM: Chamberlain, *RM

CF: *Icardi, Perez, *CF

In: Chambers, J.Martinez, LM, RM, Icardi, CF

Out: Mertesacker, Gabriel, Jenkinson, Wilshere, Ramsey, Özil, Walcott, Giroud, Sanogo, Campbell

First XI

------------------------------------------Cech

Bellerin---------------Mustafi-----------------Koscielny----------Monreal

-----------------------*J.Martinez---------------Xhaka

Chamberlain-----------------------Sanchez-----------------------Welbeck

---------------------------------------*Icardi

Subs: Ospina, *Chambers, Elneny, Cazorla, *LM, *RM, Perez
basically like Madrid. I agree with you on most points except the out of Özil.

Jack the lad

Wenger last 3 teams compared.

Cech > schezny/fabianski > Almunia
Sagna > Bellerin > Eboue
Koschielny > Gallas > Djorou
Toure > Mustafi > Mertesacker
Monreal > Gibbs > clichy
Song > Xhaka > Coquelin
Fabregas > Cazorla > Denilson
Fabregas > özil > Wilshere
Hleb > nasri > Iwobi/ox
RVJ > Alexis > Adebayor
Arshavin > Rosiscky > Walcott(he has been for 10 odd years)

Our squad hasnt progressed enough thats a fact.
We hade a much better team before.

Almunia
Sagna Toure Gallas Clichy
Rosiscky Fabregas Flamini Hleb
Adebayor RVJ/Eduardo

Only cech,koschielny,monreal,alexis would get into the team. We have gone backwards not forward. All this talk about a better squad. Its all lies, we have better squaddies yes but a better starting xl or more quality absolutely not. The Talent Diaby, Eduardo, Vela shat on our squaddies as well. Now we have happy guys in their 30s collectin checks. Mertesackers, Joruneyman perez, gibbses of this world.

Sir Bump

Unhealthy obsession with Aaron Ramsey
January is pretty much here, I think the squad is mostly there.
Below is what level I think each player is.....

Czech - first team
Ospina - first team
Martinez - squad

Bellerin - first team
Debuchy - squad ***
Jenkinson - move ***

Koscielny - first team
Mustafi - first team
Mertesacker - squad
Gabriel - squad
Holding - loan
Chambers - loan

Monreal - first team
Gibbs - squad

Coquelin - squad
Xhaka - first team
Elneny - squad
Wilshere - first team
Ramsey - squad ***
Cazorla - first team
Özil - first team

Walcott - squad ***
Ox - squad

Alexis - first team
Iwobi - squad

Giroud - squad
Perez - squad
Wellbeck - squad ***

*** are the players I would sell and re invest
Backup RB
First team wide attacker
Striker
Bring Jack back home.

Loan holding out, excellent prospect but concerned that he's not playing enough, we do this to all our young guys.

Reyes no.11

LB: *LB, Gibbs
CB: Gabriel, Mustafi
RB: Bellerin, *RB

CM: Xhaka, *CM, Elneny
DM: *DM, *DM

AM: Sanchez, *Wilshere, Iwobi
RM: Chamberlain, Walcott

CF: *CF, Giroud, Perez

In: LB, RB, DM, DM, CM, LM, Wilshere, CF

Out: Szczesny, Chambers, Mertesacker, Monreal, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Coquelin, Ramsey, Cazorla, Özil, Sanogo, Campbell

Jack the lad

Valencia are doing badly and we could pickup J.Gaya on the cheap in january, we could get Frank kessie as well in january. That would leave us with less holes come the summer.

coolaa

Cech
Bellerin Holding Kos Monreal
carzola Xhaka
Perez Sanchez Welbeck
Giroud

Pace, size, skills are all there.

Any of our CBs along side Kos would do the job. But young man Holding has the best balance in pace and height.

Sanchez in the middle gives a lot more threat than Özil. Perez knows how to finish, Welbeck has good work rate and pace to help out Monreal on the left, and he scores important goals in big games.

Anyway, that's is my own starting 11, I like a team with size, pace and stamina. Skillful players without guts like Özil just not my cup of tea.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
Its important Wenger selects a balanced consistent line up in the upcoming games so some rhythm and understanding can be built up before the big matches in late january and early feburary; Its obviously difficult with the injured players but we have enough quality in our squad to be flexible tactically.

Cech
Gabriel Koscielny Mustafi
Bellerin Chamberlain Xhaka Gibbs
Ramsey Alexis Perez

Is what I'd propose for the next few few weeks until Özil and Walcott are back in the zone.
Some may disagree with Oxlade in cm but I think he'd be a more suitable partner for Granit than Ramsey whom is for me a final third player; thats where he's most proficient for the team.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Instead of square pegs I'd rather Zelalem or Maitland-Niles play cm if Xhaka or Ramsey need a rest.

Thing is, a player who isn't at that level, or hasn't yet reached their level can effectively be a square peg anyway. See Jenks at right-back compared to Gabriel.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Thing is, a player who isn't at that level, or hasn't yet reached their level can effectively be a square peg anyway. See Jenks at right-back compared to Gabriel.

Harsh with M-N as he excelled in the championship as a CM, Whereas Zelalem is unproven. You just hope the senior players step up.

It would hopefully only need to be for one game as a maximum. I wouldn't want to see say Ox, Iwobi or Özil playing cm.

Rocky

Swears he's not a Tottenham fan
Harsh with M-N as he excelled in the championship as a CM, Whereas Zelalem is unproven. You just hope the senior players step up.

It would hopefully only need to be for one game as a maximum. I wouldn't want to see say Ox, Iwobi or Özil playing cm.

At least they are so limited that the paradox of choice can't harm Wenger for a month or so. He discovered Santi-Coq through injury and now we know who is at CM barring injury. I suspect Ox is the first choice back up but AMN is likely to be on the bench to cover RB & CM.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You wont know until they play to be fair. Do you stick with the same old or take a gamble?

Sir Bump

Unhealthy obsession with Aaron Ramsey
CECH, Ospina
BELLERIN, Gabriel
MUSTAFI, Holding, Mertesacker**
KOSCIELNY, Chambers
MONREAL, Gibbs
XHAKA, Coquelin
WILSHERE, NEW CM, Elneny
Özil, Cazorla
WELLBECK, Ox
NEW WC ST, Giroud, Perez