• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

arsmile

Established Member
this is the first transfer window in ages where we haven't had a general fan consensus that we needed strengthening in a particular area-

that must be a good sign- look at all our historical problem positions- gk/cb/cm/st ... we've addressed all these issues in the past few years and now you'd kind of say...there's no solution out there to buy in really..the squad's there- they just need to do it

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
this is the first transfer window in ages where we haven't had a general fan consensus that we needed strengthening in a particular area-

that must be a good sign- look at all our historical problem positions- gk/cb/cm/st ... we've addressed all these issues in the past few years and now you'd kind of say...there's no solution out there to buy in really..the squad's there- they just need to do it
Or is it because everyone knows Wenger won't buy anyone anyway?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It's a good position to be in. Means we can really push on from here and build a squad that even Wenger can challenge with.

We still need a forward, Perez appears to be a squaddie.

Sir Bump

Unhealthy obsession with Aaron Ramsey
It is a solid squad, everyone can see that.

The problem is Wenger not being able to get the required and expected level out of each player.
We could get more big names and nothing will change.

There is one constant in all these years.

novarek

Not having an answer to Xhaka is a minor crime at this point, he was supposed to be the important signing. Mustafi was a needed but obvious upgrade the moment Per got injured, Perez is depth, Holding is a prospect.

But here we are, with everyone saying "But Cazorla" despite knowing once again we'll face most of the season without him

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not having an answer to Xhaka is a minor crime at this point, he was supposed to be the important signing. Mustafi was a needed but obvious upgrade the moment Per got injured, Perez is depth, Holding is a prospect.

But here we are, with everyone saying "But Cazorla" despite knowing once again we'll face most of the season without him
I believe this is the reason why we are still fighting for 2nd/3rd instead of being the firm favorites.

We'd be instant title favorites with a readymade CM beast.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I believe this is the reason why we are still fighting for 2nd/3rd instead of being the firm favorites.

We'd be instant title favorites with a readymade CM beast.

The answer for some is always to sign someone new. Central midfield is more than just one player. A midfield beast as you put it is still rendered useless if his partner doesn't do his job.

Currently we have a new midfield partnership. It needs time to settle, but it is getting better. I think we need to see a more dynamic forward line with xhaka and Ramsey in midfield to truly see how it works.

Sir Bump

Unhealthy obsession with Aaron Ramsey
Ffs, and when Ramsey shows, ONCE AGAIN, that he's not suited at Arsenal because of all his poor attributes bar running, we will lynch Xhaka or Coquelin and wait again for the right partner for him.
When will it end !

Aevi

Hale End FC
The squad is still solid tbh, there are just too many players making up the numbers that need replacing by proper good ones. I think we could quite easily go about selling 4 or 5 mediocre players and upgrading 3 positions.

El Granit-Coq

Established Member
Yes the Squad is indeed solid, if we can keep Sanchez and Özil this summer (highly doubtful we will keep both) then we have a great foundation for a challenging team. Regardless of what others may think, I feel Koscielny, Mustafi, Gabriel and Holding are great CB options and do not really need changing or upgrading.

Our midfield is currently a nightmare for any fan. I mean we don't know who our best pairing is outside of Coquelin-Cazorla. We have Cazorla, Xhaka, Wilshere, El Nenny, Ramsey, Niles, Ox and Coquelin all fighting out for those positions. We need to quickly offload that area. Other than Ramsey, El Nenny and Coquelin are the obvious outgoings for most of AM with Wilshere, Cazorla and Xhaka as the foundation I guess (added quality to replace the outgoing player or players).

Giroud for all his uses has come to his end so I doubt we will be relying on him. Welbz will take his spot in the team as a starter (if we don't get a better LW) or as 2nd choice striker. If Sanchez stays then we don't need a WC striker as he already is one, AM sorts itself out as Özil if he stays is nailed on there with either Wilshere or Iwobi as back up, not the best but I don't see us strengthening or needing to in this area, obviously depends on Özil staying or leaving.

RW i feel Perez would do well as a starter, with Ox covering as backup. Still, we could possibly debate on who has been the most efficient there this season.

Tldr. We do have a good team and I simply wanted to point out that it's very hard to see where we can strengthen. We know where we can cut down on but a logical debate over where we could improve without wishlist kind of posts should be had.

carlito'sway

Established Member
The squad is still solid tbh, there are just too many players making up the numbers that need replacing by proper good ones. I think we could quite easily go about selling 4 or 5 mediocre players and upgrading 3 positions.

Solid is a relative term in that context. Doe we have an elite squad able to compete for a title or two in the PL and CL? I don't think so. We may have 3 or 4 top players able to start for the likes of Bayern, Real, PSG or even Chelsea or Atletico. The rest are really mostly average players who seem to be getting more complacent in their mediocrity. This team needs to go through a real clean up. I could see easily 6 or 7 players leaving this summer.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Solid is a relative term in that context. Doe we have an elite squad able to compete for a title or two in the PL and CL? I don't think so. We may have 3 or 4 top players able to start for the likes of Bayern, Real, PSG or even Chelsea or Atletico. The rest are really mostly average players who seem to be getting more complacent in their mediocrity. This team needs to go through a real clean up. I could see easily 6 or 7 players leaving this summer.
agreed. but the manager and his whole staff needs to be gone first.

BobP

Memri Fan
I don't mind the squad really, it has a certain flexibility or durability, not in terms of fitness of course, but in terms of physical build and ability to play in multiple positions.

What's absolutely crucial is the injection of some technical quality through central midfield. As it stands we have Xhaka, Cazorla, Ramsey, Elneny, Coquelin, AMN, and we have Wilshere coming back. If we can make 1 or 2 additions in that respect I think we'll be in good stead.

In saying that of course the management of the team has been absolutely atrocious, so what I'm saying is contingent on the hiring of a tactically competent manager.

_reed_

We, fans, very often to are excited and overestimate our players but I tend to agree with Keane on this.
So what? Everybody knows that Bayern have better players than Arsenal, but there are 17 teams worse than Bayern in the Bundesliga as well, and only relegation fodder like Wolfsburg and Werder conceded 5 goals against them. RB Leipzig conceded 3 playing with 10 men since the 30th minute ffs.

CJJ

Established Member
My squad analysis is quite simple: we lack leaders and determination.

We need players who will go first, and have the physical ability to withstand opponents when they have momentum.
Currently we get bullied physically way too easily, and there's noone on the pitch taking charge and getting the rest riled up.

For now i reckon that we'll need a proper B2B midfielder who's not a midget, and a CB to challenge Mustafi and Kos as they are too comfortable.

Sykes

We, fans, very often to are excited and overestimate our players but I tend to agree with Keane on this.
Koscienly isn't average. Santi isn't average. Bellerin isn't average. This squad is strong..it's unbalanced. Very ****ing unbalanced.

Reactions: A_G

Sykes

Sell One of Ramsey/Ox/Jack.
Sell Gibbs. He's ****.
Gabriel should never be a cb option anymore.
The more I think of it, the more I think we should've pushed for Manolas instead of Mustafi. Not saying Mustafi is bad. He's young and will get better.
Coq should never be a guaranteed starter. Get someone like Nzonzi, Bagayoko, Dahoud, Naby Keita, etc to play alongside Xhaka.
Oh and we need some Damn technicians in the team...these days we're struggling to ****ing pass the ball under pressure.
P.S **** the dumb English media blaming Wenger for their overhyped players being ****. Walcott was never going to turn to ****ing Reus/henry because he wasn't that ****ing talented to begin with. Gibbs is ****. Ox only knows how to play well during pre season. Wilshere gets injured pulling his boxers up.
No more second chances with these losers...
We need a Damn number 9.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Koscienly isn't average. Santi isn't average. Bellerin isn't average. This squad is strong..it's unbalanced. Very ****ing unbalanced.

I count 3.....Kos, Alexis and Özil. Bellerin is a very good young player but not there yet. Santi is out so will not count him.
Imo, I don't think it is a strong enough squad to be competitive and challenge for titles. I said that last season, we have a number of players that are over rated and whatever happens next summer, a squad overhaul is in order if we want to have any hope to compete.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom