• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

carlito'sway

Established Member
Not sure that matters considering Ramsey and Ox are squad players here, neither them were in Wenger's preferred XI when the team was playing well. In fact, Ramsey has only started this season when others have been unavailable. I don't rate Coquelin or Matic that highly, the difference is that the latter knows his limitations and sticks to his job.

You said that Ox and Iwobi didn't have enough product while advocating signing a guy who didn't register a goal or an assist until mid-December. Draxler wasn't a big enough upgrade for the fee he would have cost, people want to sign genuine quality.

Ox and Iwobi don't have enough quality period....Not talking about "product".
From that stand point one can say that Theo is productive but I still don't think he is CL caliber (or Arsenal caliber for that matter).
Draxler would have cost less than Mustafi and he a genuine upgrade over all our current options. I don't know how that can be controversial.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Goalkeepers
Cech (33)
Ospina (13)
Martinez (26)

Defenders
Koscielny (6)
Mustafi (20)

Mertesacker (4)
Gabriel (5)

Holding (16)
Monreal (18)
Bellerin (24)
Debuchy (2)
Gibbs (3)

Midfielders
Özil (11)
Xhaka (29)

Ramsey (8)
Cazorla (19)
Coquelin (34)
Elneny (35)
Reine-Adelaide (?)

Attackers

*Alexis (7)*
Perez (9)
Giroud (12)

Walcott (14)
Oxlade-Chamberlain (15)
Welbeck (23)
Iwobi (17)
Sanogo (22)

Key
Good enough for their role in the squad
Might be good enough for their role in the squad
Definitely not good enough to be here
Losing patience but deserves a chance under new management
Blackmailing Wenger
Szczesny or Ospina, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Gabriel or Chambers, Gibbs or Monreal, Ramsey and/or Wilshere, Özil, Alexis and Sanogo will definitely go IMO.

Big money coming in but massive change in the summer if Wenger leaves.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Szczesny or Ospina, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Gabriel or Chambers, Gibbs or Monreal, Ramsey and/or Wilshere, Özil, Alexis and Sanogo will definitely go IMO.

Big money coming in but massive change in the summer if Wenger leaves.

If Özil and Sanchez are gone we could prepare ourselfs for a battle top 6 maximum very hard to take that blow.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

If Özil and Sanchez are gone we could prepare ourselfs for a battle top 6 maximum very hard to take that blow.
Better than the same old crap. Rebuild with a new manager and a fresh squad. As I heard yesterday, this squad is full of people used to losing, they're happy not winning stuff, it doesn't affect them like it should or it wouldn't keep happening.

There are probably 2/3 leaders in the whole squad, a squad full of mentally and physically weak players who shouldn't be playing for a club of our size.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
Better than the same old crap. Rebuild with a new manager and a fresh squad. As I heard yesterday, this squad is full of people used to losing, they're happy not winning stuff, it doesn't affect them like it should.

What has really happened since the invincibles? When we moved to the emirates accordingly to many board members we were capable of challenging on all fronts but yet again we are not capable at all to challenge even for the title, they are misleading us everytime i think for the board members its more important to make money then to win prizes.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
We'd have to hope for a Barca, Real, PSG or Bayern yard sale - this is the way that we landed Özil and Sanchez in the first place.

2 cut price attackers from Ribery, Robben, Moura, Turan, James, Isco or Morata.

No top players want to sign for Wenger unless they have to.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

If Özil and Sanchez don't renew you bring in a new manager and hope that he can convince them to extend before January.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not sure that matters considering Ramsey and Ox are squad players here, neither them were in Wenger's preferred XI when the team was playing well. In fact, Ramsey has only started this season when others have been unavailable. I don't rate Coquelin or Matic that highly, the difference is that the latter knows his limitations and sticks to his job.

You said that Ox and Iwobi didn't have enough end product while advocating signing a guy who didn't register a goal or an assist until mid-December. Draxler wasn't a big enough upgrade for the fee he would have cost, people want to sign genuine quality.
Coquelin has had a big drop in form this season and that's part of problem with our midfield. Last season his Squawka Stats were well over 500 and this season it's down to 338. His mistakes are costing us.

Matic is solid and most importantly, him and Kante have played together for most games.

With Ramsey's and Santi's injuries and Xhaka's red cards our midfield has been a chopping and changing shambles.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Maybe it's not a drop in form and he's just reverted to the player he's always been?
You could be right, in the heat of battle you've got to rely on instinct. It wasn't a coaching error that made him feint the wrong way in order to show Robben on to his shooting foot for the first goal.

Reactions: A_G

carlito'sway

Established Member
You could be right, in the heat of battle you've got to rely on instinct. It wasn't a coaching error that made him feint the wrong way in order to show Robben on to his shooting foot for the first goal.

That was an other inexcusable mistake. Everyone on this planet knows that Robben is going to cut inside and look for his left foot. I am sure the coaching staff may have reminded the players of that as well. School yard stuff.
I was supportive of the Coq rag to riches story but I am realistic enough to know that he is not good enough at this level. He is a WBA/ WHU level football player.

Merriwx

Some of the players need to "Man Up"! People always want to blame the manager, but as an elite athlete(that's what they are?) you can't blame coaching! Some of the players look horrible, not even trying, and making poor decisions!
They also seem very selfish. It's either too much passing or too much "1v1" mentality going on. Wenger has tried everything, and they still seem lazy and at times...just plain horrible!

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Maybe it's not a drop in form and he's just reverted to the player he's always been?
Possibly. But he hasn't looked as sharp since his cruciate injury. If his body isn't right,that will affect his game. Or it may just be that he's being asked to expand his game beyond his ability. He never looks like he's shirking but something is missing. I was really happy when he extended and it's sad to see him drop.

Mudi

To be honest, don't actually mind the idea of building up again as the current squad is just not good enough.

Tell me what Mertesacker, Coquelin, Giroud and Cazorla all did to deserve a contract extension?
And at the end of the season, Wenger will tell us that we have a big squad with lots of quality. Not difficult to have a big squad if you extent contracts of players that don't deserve it and if you don't sell any dead woods.

Players that shouldn't be in the team by next year:
Sczcesny, Gabriel, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Jenkinson, Debuchy, Coquelin, Ramsey, Campbell, Walcott, ...
And you can discuss if Giroud, Perez, Chamberlain, Welbeck, Santi, Chambers, Cech should be on that list as well ...

Mudi

Some of the players need to "Man Up"! People always want to blame the manager, but as an elite athlete(that's what they are?) you can't blame coaching! Some of the players look horrible, not even trying, and making poor decisions!
They also seem very selfish. It's either too much passing or too much "1v1" mentality going on. Wenger has tried everything, and they still seem lazy and at times...just plain horrible!
It's the job of the manager to find those players out and if they not improve, take some action. But Wenger doesn't do that. For example, Xhaka got already 2 red cards but is still doing stupid tackles. Either Wenger points that out and he doesn't listen, he can be on the bench and you sell him next year. The same with Coquelin who makes mistake after mistake (against Chelsea twice and Bayern for the first goal). Still, he will play next week to make the same mistake. Walcott never tracks back, but still got a contract extension ...

It's just Wenger that lost it and there is no improvement ahead as we see it year after year ...
To just give you an example, last year Chelsea finished 10th and people were as well saying that the players let him down. Now, they are 8 points clear from the second and on course to win the title. A lot has to do with the manager ...

KAB

I think we have very good players in our team played at highest level of football. As mentioned before, we have world cup winners, euro finalist and semi-finalist, best South American player in our team. However we just couldn't get the result. Whether the strategy was not right or the drive in the team has depleted

carlito'sway

Established Member
I think we have very good players in our team played at highest level of football. As mentioned before, we have world cup winners, euro finalist and semi-finalist, best South American player in our team. However we just couldn't get the result. Whether the strategy was not right or the drive in the team has depleted

I love Alexis but he is not the best south American player by a long stretch ;)

Top Bottom