• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

Hunter Zolomon

It is all of the above. Let's face it, our squad is not as good as we may tend to believe and at the end of the day, against superior quality, we are brutally exposed. Obviously, with better/ more talented players raise the general level.
what about better tactics? like defensive disciple? or is that not a factor.

Hunter Zolomon

Some of the players need to "Man Up"! People always want to blame the manager, but as an elite athlete(that's what they are?) you can't blame coaching! Some of the players look horrible, not even trying, and making poor decisions!
They also seem very selfish. It's either too much passing or too much "1v1" mentality going on. Wenger has tried everything, and they still seem lazy and at times...just plain horrible!
i dont know why we cant blame the manager for buying and recruiting these players. Other managers have less time in their clubs than wenger, so the excuse that they didnt choose most of their squad is valid. However wenger did, he chose each and every member of the team.

carlito'sway

Established Member
what about better tactics? like defensive disciple? or is that not a factor.

Dude, news for you. This is is a thread called "Squad analysis", i.e, where one comments on players skills/performance and the likes.
There is a tactics thread and a few on the on the manager as well where one can discuss tactics / manager role and issues.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Admin
Going into next season, I'd like for us to look something like this...

First Team

Szczesny
Bellerin - Mustafi - Koscielny - ????
Wilshere - Xhaka- ????
Welbeck - Alexis - ????

Backups

Cech
Debuchy - Chambers - Holding - Gibbs
Elneny - AMN - Cazorla
Chambo - Giroud - Iwobi
???? are buys. These would be high-class players, financed by the sales of Ospina, Jenkinson, Monreal, Gabriel, Ramsey, Campbell, Sanogo, Akpom, Perez, and Özil. Why sell Özil? He's a great player, but I am personally pretty adamant we need a change of system, and he doesn't fit many systems outside our own. A little risky, but I think it's a chance worth taking if the three players we were to bring in are adequate replacements for his lost quality.

With the two teams listed above, Coquelin and Walcott are also options. Mavididi and Willock would get slow introductions into the first team, maybe Nwakali and Zelalem as well. The mass-clearout of this team is with possible youth promotion in mind.

I wouldn't actually mind Wenger staying if he were to pull such big changes...

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Alot of deadwood in the squad imo and alot decisions to make@

These comments are shaped purely by the form we are in.

A large majority of people would have agreed with you in August that we were strong enough to win the league, fast forward to February and the side apparently now needs a massive overhaul, isn't good enough, etc.

I still believe the side is good enough to win the league with a quality manager in charge. If we can't get a top tier manager though, I'd say we would realistically be hoping for a new left back and another top quality attacking option that can add something to the side.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

First Team

Szczesny
Wilshere - Xhaka- ????
Welbeck - Alexis - ????

Backups

Cech
Elneny - AMN - Cazorla
Chambo - Giroud - Iwobi
???? are buys. These would be high-class players, financed by the sales of Ospina, Jenkinson, Monreal, Gabriel, Ramsey, Campbell, Sanogo, Akpom, Perez, and Özil. Why sell Özil? He's a great player, but I am personally pretty adamant we need a change of system, and he doesn't fit many systems outside our own. A little risky, but I think it's a chance worth taking if the three players we were to bring in are adequate replacements for his lost quality.

With the two teams listed above, Coquelin and Walcott are also options. Mavididi and Willock would get slow introductions into the first team, maybe Nwakali and Zelalem as well. The mass-clearout of this team is with possible youth promotion in mind.

If anybody has any doubt how poor our squad is, this post sums it up. Selling 10 players and you still have two injury prone players left in the side, Wilshere and Wellbeck, and Walcott/Coq/Mertersaker still at the club.

If you look at the sides who are performing to or above their potential it's the ones with settled teams, few injuries and who rotate occasionally by choice rather than necessity . . . like Chelsea and Sp**s.

darko

What's the point in talking about top class signings? If Wenger extends, it will be a fight to be in the top four. We could sign Ronaldo and Messi, Wenger would still bottle it.

Preacher

Always Crying

First Team

Szczesny
Wilshere - Xhaka- ????
Welbeck - Alexis - ????

Backups

Cech
Elneny - AMN - Cazorla
Chambo - Giroud - Iwobi

I tend to agree, but only a new management can make something like that happen. The majority of players from your list had to be sold long ago. I also think, that we need to scrap no.10 position. Only question remains, is Özil capable to play effectively on the wing or as second striker all season. I have doubts.

Last edited:

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

These comments are shaped purely by the form we are in.

A large majority of people would have agreed with you in August that we were strong enough to win the league, fast forward to February and the side apparently now needs a massive overhaul, isn't good enough, etc.

I still believe the side is good enough to win the league with a quality manager in charge. If we can't get a top tier manager though, I'd say we would realistically be hoping for a new left back and another top quality attacking option that can add something to the side.
I agree i said at the start of the season we had the best squad in years, but too many players have gone off the boil.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Football Manager mode:

Sell / release (get about 65m):
Ospina
Debuchy
Gibbs or Monreal
Mertesacker
Gabriel
Jenkinson
Ramsey
Sanogo
Campbell
Akpom

Bring back from loan:
Szczesny
Wilshere
Chambers

That lot without signings is a boost to this team because all of those sold players are detriment to our football and the on loan players actually have a bit of fight in them.

Quality Signings (spend about 100m):
Left back
Gilberto style DM
Winger / wide attack or striker if one comes about

Squad Signings:
Right back

Though I expect we will lose at least one of Alexis and Özil.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Football Manager mode:

Sell / release (get about 65m):
Ospina
Debuchy
Gibbs or Monreal
Mertesacker
Gabriel
Jenkinson
Ramsey
Sanogo
Campbell
Akpom

Bring back from loan:
Szczesny
Wilshere
Chambers

That lot without signings is a boost to this team because all of those sold players are detriment to our football and the on loan players actually have a bit of fight in them.

Quality Signings (spend about 100m):
Left back
Gilberto style DM
Winger / wide attack or striker if one comes about

Squad Signings:
Right back

Though I expect we will lose at least one of Alexis and Özil.
You could put le coq in that list also along with theo maybe!

trippyhippy

It's quite obvious we need a LB as monreal and gibbs are not up to scratch. I would go for Ricardo Rodriguez or kurzawa from PSG. we also need a CB, as we saw in Munich when kos got injured and after Gabriel came on we shipped 4 goals, simply not good enough. a CM is needed to fill in or replace Santi because our whole season has gone to sh-it since he has been injured. We need a gk as Cech has roughly given away 3 penalties this season along with letting in bad freekicks and near post goals. Bernd Leno, jackButlandd, or just stick with Ospina as no1. we also absolutely have to buy that mbappe kid whatever the cost he is going to be a star. if we dont then a few years down the line he will be another griezmann dybala etc that we could have got but decided to stick with average crap like walcott who cant beat a man to save his life despite being one of the fastest players in the world.

players that should be sold are monreal, coquelin ramsey Özil and maybe Wilshere depending on whether we get a new cm.

i feel as though we will only get around 2 new players and once again we will have another season of de ja vu with wenger signing a new 2 yr contract but i hope for once we can do something more.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Admin
If anybody has any doubt how poor our squad is, this post sums it up. Selling 10 players and you still have two injury prone players left in the side, Wilshere and Wellbeck, and Walcott/Coq/Mertersaker still at the club.

If you look at the sides who are performing to or above their potential it's the ones with settled teams, few injuries and who rotate occasionally by choice rather than necessity . . . like Chelsea and Sp**s.
Many of our issues definitely have to do with how congested our team is with squaddies. I feel that a clear-out of them, replaced with proven players and some of our youth would do us a lot of good. Even with the couple of injury-prone players I left over there is still able backup.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Many of our issues definitely have to do with how congested our team is with squaddies. I feel that a clear-out of them, replaced with proven players and some of our youth would do us a lot of good. Even with the couple of injury-prone players I left over there is still able backup.

I think some of our squad players embody the mental issues that have been like rot the past decade. We almost need a detox. Opsina, Per, Gabriel, Gibbs, Monreal, Coq, Ramsey, Walcott are all shaky as **** and tend to **** the bed when the pressure is on. That's not a strong squad like so many claim.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Admin
I tend to agree, but only a new management can make something like that happen. The majority of players from your list had to be sold long ago. I also think, that we need to scrap no.10 position. Only question remains, is Özil capable to play effectively on the wing or as second striker all season. I have doubts.
And that is why many people want him gone. There is a need for change, and Wenger seems unable or unwilling to stray away from what he's been doing. Little option but to bring in someone new then.

bagel70

The first thing the new manager needs to fix is our wage structure. If anything can be quickly improved for the better its our wage structure that has been holding us back for years. Too many players we have had to hold onto too long over the last 8 years because we overpaid squad players.

I still can't over some of the contract extensions Wenger has presided over in the last 5-6 years right up until Per this year. Or why he held onto Joel Campbell so long (lost profit). Giving Arteta, now Per, heck even Santi contracts but letting Alexis and Özil run down? That's not a strategy that takes a club forward. Why even buy Lucas if we barely use him? I think Wenger has grown far too sentimental towards the players he favors both in contracts and starting xi's.

No matter who comes in, modernizing our wage structure is the first step to fixing some of structural problems that grown over the past few years. That's also the first step in really addressing the weakness in mentality over the past half decade or so.

Top Bottom