• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoaoFelix

So you think it's good to sack managers after 1 year, even if not clearly underperforming? Not many examples like "life after Wenger". How do you think it affects how attractive Arsenal is to potential managers? If he won in Baku, no sack? It's one game, to get he won good teams.

We can sack him next year without any cost because of the contract he has. He has contract next year too, which is good for longevity.

With Seville he didn't win away game all season in his last season. He is also known to be the coach of the " REMONTA " when Barca won 6-1. How many times we won away games last year? Plus he finished outside of top 4 and bottled in Baku. Nagelsman, Gasperini, Favre are the ones we should go after.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
Thought his plan worked well in the first half and we had two huge chances to score before Matip's goal.

2nd half was torpedoed by Luiz's brainfade nonetheless I felt his changes came far too late. Mixed bag.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
So you think it's good to sack managers after 1 year, even if not clearly underperforming? How do you think it affects how attractive Arsenal is to potential managers? If he won in Baku, no sack?

We can sack him next year without any cost because of the contract he has. He has contract next year too, which is good for longevity.
It is in fact clearly underperforming when you are in pole position to secure a top 4 finish, with the weakest schedule of any of the other teams in contention for those places and then your failure to take your opponents seriously results in you missing out on that place. We played 8 consecutive matches against teams we were objectively better than and favored against and managed a grand total of 10 points out of a possible 24 in part because the manger chose not to respect our opponents with his team selections and instead bet everything on the Europa League. Had he won, he probably still should have been sacked but at least he'd have CL football in his corner.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
United finished behind us last season and have improved less than we have this season. Chelsea lost the player that carried them to finishing narrowly above us last season whilst we have drastically improved our squad. There's very little argument that we don't have a better squad than those 2. You decided that you wanted to be cute and suggest that I was hedging my bets so I'd be "right" about Emery. I'm already right about Emery. He's been handed a top 4 squad. If he doesn't make top 4 with it then he's failed. If he does, then he's merely done what one should with that level of squad just as was the case when he won the title with PSG after buying the best player from the team that won the title the year prior and f*cking Neymar.

Just because we finshed above United doesn't mean we had the better squad. And as for Chelsea, I actually didn't include them when I said you can argue which squads are stronger.

Have no Idea why you keep bringing up his time at PSG, that has nothing to do with how he will be judged at Arsenal. Of course you had to mention him being poor with PSG in Europe, conveniently not mentioning his European record at Sevilla. Well no surprise there.

Anyway there is no debating with you as you have clearly established Emery is a fraud.

Goodnight.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
So you think it's good to sack managers after 1 year, even if not clearly underperforming? Not many examples like "life after Wenger". How do you think it affects how attractive Arsenal is to potential managers? If he won in Baku, no sack? It's one game, to get he won good teams.

Why?

Give specifics...

What signs have you seen?

What ideas has Emery not had time to implement?

What development do you see?

Emery has No identity imo

We should have either a in your face type coach who screams a performance into all the underachievers

or a manager with some fresh ideals to really reform the way we play

JoaoFelix

Just because we finshed above United doesn't mean we had the better squad. And as for Chelsea, I actually didn't include them when I said you can argue which squads are stronger.

Have no Idea why you keep bringing up his time at PSG, that has nothing to do with how he will be judged at Arsenal. Of course you had to mention him being poor with PSG in Europe, conveniently not mentioning his European record at Sevilla. Well no surprise there.

Anyway there is no debating with you as you have clearly established Emery is a fraud.

Goodnight.

He didn't win away game all season in his last season with Seville. Last year we finished out of top 4. We were **** in away games. If we don't finish in top 4 he has to move himself out of the club.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
He didn't win away game all season in his last season with Seville. Last year we finished out of top 4. We were **** in away games. If we don't finish in top 4 he has to move himself out of the club.

If he doesn't make top 4 this season he will be let go. You don't have to worry about that.

Last edited:

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

Goodnight.
We can certainly mention it. He did a nice job with a midtable team winning a 2nd tier competition. Hooray. With better squads and against better oppositions he has faltered. He's a 2nd tier cup manager at this stage who can also win you a league if there's absolutely no competition. I'm not sure if you know this but Arsenal Football Club is a bit too prestigious to be satisfied with getting battered in 2nd tier European Finals and pissing away top 4 finishes against dreck. So in fact we have now acknowledged his achievements with Sevilla and how amazing it was for that midtable club to win a 2nd tier competition. It still doesn't cancel out that he's not managing PSG anymore because he was brought in to win a CL and bottled a massive first leg lead and that he was brought here to get us CL football either through the league or winning the EL(which was supposed to be a strength) and bottled those spectacularly as well. What else would you like to discuss? Because none of it will change his performance in big boy jobs thus far.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
He set up the team well enough to what the gameplan was supposed to be and it worked, but as per, we didn't take our chances.

What him and Wenger can't really do is turn some of the characters we have around. As usual we go a goal down and it's a complete cluster, no leaders on the pitch, most of them hide.

Don't think he's the right person to take us forward at all, but some of you should hold the agenda merchantry until we're more than three games into the season.

It's a new spine of players, hopefully and unlike last season, we can see us dominating lesser teams as the norm and not the exception.

Can't see this team being lucky like we were last season, where we were grinding out results, despite playing like **** and not being in charge of games like we're supposed to.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Today has seen so many split decisions on whether Emery got his tactics right and I think he got them correct, we defended well absorbed pressure and had the better chances first half. We let their full-backs have the time and space because we knew we could defend their crossing and passing which we did really well.

This let us have space on the counter which we used our speed to exploit, such a shame Pepe missed that 1v1 but my God he'll be a player.

My biggest gripe with Emery though is his persistence with Xhaka, games like this we all knew he'd offer nothing and couldn't really find Auba and Pepe as much as he'd like.

Another thing I'd like to add is like it or not Arsenal fans need to realise how much better Liverpool are than us currently, it's not the days of Jay Spearing and Craig Bellamy anymore, they are the most complete teams I've seen in a long time.

What would worry me is if we played like that in a home fixture. Next week is another tough test for Emery.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Today has seen so many split decisions on whether Emery got his tactics right and I think he got them correct, we defended well absorbed pressure and had the better chances first half. We let their full-backs have the time and space because we knew we could defend their crossing and passing which we did really well.

This let us have space on the counter which we used our speed to exploit, such a shame Pepe missed that 1v1 but my God he'll be a player.

My biggest gripe with Emery though is his persistence with Xhaka, games like this we all knew he'd offer nothing and couldn't really find Auba and Pepe as much as he'd like.
Thought his 2nd half tactics were bad tbf. IMO, Emery should have shifted to a front 3 from the jump. But yeah I agree, his big error of judgement was arguably starting Xhaka, who wasnt at fault for the goals but generally didn't add much to the game and slowed our build up down too much.

Our playing out from the back would be miles better if we had quicker better passers. Xhaka can pass but not quickly enough on the turn. Our playing out was far better last week when Ceballos, Willock and Guendouzi offered passing options regularly.

JoaoFelix

As Fallout said; agree. the amount of pressure our players had to absorb over the 90 minutes was simply too much.

it's one thing when we are on the front foot and someone makes a stupid mistake -- that's on the player. it's another thing when we are getting absolutely rinsed for the vast majority of the play and a mistake happens -- that's on the manager.

fact is we were playing in an unsustainable way and got the result we deserved. we did not give a proper account of ourselves here. i actually rate our squad a lot and am very disappointed by the lack of competitiveness we showed today.

JoaoFelix

Another fantastic quote from Fallout; a manager's job is to pick a selection of players + a tactic that maximizes likelihood of success. what emery did today did not meet that criteria. we gave up control of the wide areas, put our back line under a mountain of pressure, and had no structure for advancing the ball from defense to attack.

people want to talk about pepe's miss and how it would have changed the game. how about ceballos giving the ball away under pressure to a liverpool player in the middle of our box? how about the endless crosses that fortunately enough didnt connect? those are quality opportunities that i would love for us to have had.

fergie showed us plenty of times over the years how an organized team should be set up to limit the opponent's chances and counter swiftly, and oftentimes he outdid us with inferior players. we looked really, really far off that template -- not even close.

i'm all for being defensive when we are the underdogs, but this system was miles off from being the answer.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

As Fallout said; agree. the amount of pressure our players had to absorb over the 90 minutes was simply too much.

it's one thing when we are on the front foot and someone makes a stupid mistake -- that's on the player. it's another thing when we are getting absolutely rinsed for the vast majority of the play and a mistake happens -- that's on the manager.

fact is we were playing in an unsustainable way and got the result we deserved. we did not give a proper account of ourselves here. i actually rate our squad a lot and am very disappointed by the lack of competitiveness we showed today.

But we knew we'd have chances and we did. We take those in the first half and we're not absorbing pressure for 90 minutes because it'd be a completely different game.

Right idea, wrong execution.

JoaoFelix

But we knew we'd have chances and we did. We take those in the first half and we're not absorbing pressure for 90 minutes because it'd be a completely different game.

Right idea, wrong execution.
Last year we scored too against them. Adrian gave the ball away to Auba. Apart from that Pepe miss we didn't do nothing offensively.

OnlyOne

Trusted ⭐

Game was similar to Tottenham away last year, we soaked up the pressure, defended well and then caught them on the counter through Ramsey.

Liverpool are a different animal however and we simply couldn't hold them off.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Don’t turn on Emery because we lost away to Liverpool ffs. I also get that people got really optimistic after we were overperforming and had odds to make champions league. We did choke last year, but we choked with exceeding expectations. Support the team and this manager through even bad times. That’s what fans should do. Of course if we aren’t in the champions league at the end of this season, sack. But until then, let’s show the boys and the gaffer that we are behind them!

ThlRama

Player:Saka
What him and Wenger can't really do is turn some of the characters we have around. As usual we go a goal down and it's a complete cluster, no leaders on the pitch

This. Our second half was like Wenger never left, such was the lack of spine, focus and character.

Eirico

It was hard to watch the first half. We were fairly comfortable defensivly, but still looked like a bottom half team the way we were set up. But cant blame Emery for that, I had very little hope for a good result today and Emery set us up in a way we could have sneaked a result if we took some of the few chances we got.

But Emery should have changed things up at HT. His plan A was a good try, but didnt pay off and it was time to put plan B into action. I was expecting Laca to come on for one of the midfielders, but was really surprised to see the same setup as in the first half even at 0-1 down. Giving Laca only ten minutes was a joke. We never really tried to make a comeback.

But all in all, today is not the day Emery should be judged. But looking back to the start of last season the lack of improvement in our pressing, in our build up and in our defence is worrying. We still rely on individual quality in attack and our pressing is a joke to be honest. And we will probably concende leads of goals this season as well. I have no doubt that Emery can take us to top4, but that is his ceiling. We should give him this season and then find someone else that could build something great. I dont think Emery is capable of that unfortunately. We dont have a clear system, a real identity. If you have a really solid system even players like Henderson and Milner could look like great midfielders. They fit in nicely in Liverpool’s intensive pressing and counter attacking. If Emery had those players they would look like trash.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Xhaka was at least trying to go long, which seemed to be the plan.

No use playing two fast strikers if we are trying to pass to each other at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom