• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jurgen Klopp's Liverpool: Off You Pop, Klopp

• Thread starter KMC
  • Start date
  • Replies 6,105
  • Views 804,864

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

He said he wanted to retire from international footy yet Cameroon still named him in their squad for the African nations. Under FIFA rules this means he can't play for Liverpool till Cameroon get knocked out. He is refusing to play for Cameroon so is in a pretty **** situation at the moment.

Long may it continue!
Wow I didn't know that, good on Cameroon for taking a stand! So Matip is now in Liverpool just waiting for his country to get knocked out of the competition? I hope he moved his family out of Cameroon with him, this could turn ugly. I thought Cameroon wouldn't select guys that didn't want to play. Onana from Ajax had the same stance as Matip, and they didn't select him.

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
Wow. Why wouldn't you want to represent your country at the age of 25? It's the highest honour. Sure, you probably won't win anything but it's not really about that.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Wow. Why wouldn't you want to represent your country at the age of 25? It's the highest honour. Sure, you probably won't win anything but it's not really about that.
If you lived in an African country maybe you would understand. I would much rather play for Arsenal than for Bafana Bafana (South Africa).

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
He said he wanted to retire from international footy yet Cameroon still named him in their squad for the African nations. Under FIFA rules this means he can't play for Liverpool till Cameroon get knocked out. He is refusing to play for Cameroon so is in a pretty **** situation at the moment.

Long may it continue!
lol

SuperGoon

Debbie Downer

Player:Saka
If you lived in an African country maybe you would understand. I would much rather play for Arsenal than for Bafana Bafana (South Africa).

I can't really comment on this because you're right, I don't know the circumstances. Just glad we have a kid like Iwobi who made a hard choice to represent a country he obviously feels more of a kinship with rather than go with the easy choice of England. I just can respect wanting to represent your country a lot more. I don't mind if players retire when they're 30 or beyond but Matip has his entire career ahead of him.

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan

He's German, born and bred. His mother is from Germany, his father is from Cameroon, He made the poor choice of agreeing to play for them when he was 18 years old. And safe to say now regrets it. He stopped playing for them in 2015.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

International footy is a joke. Why not get some rest to prepare for the football that really matters...

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
Wow I didn't know that, good on Cameroon for taking a stand!.
Surely if he choose to retire from international football, regardless of his age, that's his choice to make? Cameroon should have respected that and by all accounts it's a joke that he was still selected.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Klopp has made great image of himself during the career with media and fans, he is practically anti-Wenger with his style , media will always love him, great for the league to have him here anyway.
They build up everyone for the fall. Will be the same turn with Klopp just like previously with Mourinho & Wenger.

A few years & he will be seen as a weird nerdy German with Donald Trump hair playing basic rush football. Wenger was the smart professor for years & treated with alot of respect by media & fans alike!

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Surely if he choose to retire from international football, regardless of his age, that's his choice to make? Cameroon should have respected that and by all accounts it's a joke that he was still selected.
Sure it is. However he was not the only one to do it. Other young Cameroon players chose their clubs over their countries because they wanted to fight for their place etc. Matip was probably the one with the highest profile, so Cameroon made him into an example. If they let these things go, it means bad things for their future.

Borussin

AM's Resident Dortmund Fan

He wasn't actually selected for the final squad.

Cameroon should be more concerned about looking into why so many players want nothing to do with them, it's not just Jöel Matip, there's 8 of them who don't want to play for the team. And some of them are Cameroonians, unlike Matip, who's German so has little affinity with a country he's never lived in.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Klopp's "chasing after the ball like children" tactics (Mkhitaryans words btw) just isn't sustainable over the period of a season in the PL and especially with no winter break. They'll always suffer dips like this. Their form in general has been a bit off since beating City 1-0. Drawing against Sunderland, looked knackered for the second half vs United and now lose at home to one of the worst sides in the league. The depth of their squad isn't helping either, the fact that Klopp thinks it's best that Can comes in for Mane because he can't trust Sturridge as a starter sums it up for me. A few good players, a few hard workers and the rest is mid-table quality at best, who knows they might even struggle to make top 4 in the end with Sp**s looking a lot more well-rounded and City still a bit unpredictable.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Sure shaping up to be a piss poor January for Klopp. :lol:

Surprised more isn't being made of the Sturridge & Sakho situations. Huge waste of talent or potential transfer funds sitting on the bench & in the stands. Who can afford to not use a world class striker & the clubs 1st/2nd best center half?

Chelsea, Sp**s, Leicester, Arsenal, Man City & Everton all in their next eight league games as well.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Sure shaping up to be a piss poor January for Klopp. :lol:

Surprised more isn't being made of the Sturridge & Sakho situations. Huge waste of talent or potential transfer funds sitting on the bench & in the stands. Who can afford to not use a world class striker & the clubs 1st/2nd best center half?

Chelsea, Sp**s, Leicester, Arsenal, Man City & Everton all in their next eight league games as well.
Hasn't Sakho been injured?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Pretty sure that's an old clip. Think most rate him now.

Oh I see , notice there is a collective moan when he loses the ball then they probably do it to all of them . Klopp been a bit critical of the crowd support interestingly enough .

Top Bottom