• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who among Ramsey/Özil/Cazorla should be dropped?

Who among Ramsey/Özil/Cazorla should be dropped?

• Özil

• Ramsey

• Cazorla

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Özil definitely tried to take initiative in the second half, he was involved in pretty much every attacking move we were in.

There wasn't much else he could do, there was no space for him to dribble into, nor was there any one running in behind for him to find. We were so compact that there wasn't even any space for him to shoot.

This system of ours is so messed up, I don't get it. Having said that we should have scored 2/3 goals but the issue is we are making it so hard for ourselves with this narrow style.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
We are creating chances but no one is finishing them off. Özil creates, Sanchez creates, Cazorla creates, Giroud with his link up creates and as does Ramsey himself however what Aaron provides is a lot better off the ball movement, the capabilities to find pockets of space within the oppositions defence and exploit it and he is a finisher who is productive combined with defensive contributions, work ethic and also the lads been here 7 years so he is immersed into our style of play though sometimes he does have the propensity to be clumsy.

So all things considered I completely understand why Arsène opts for Aaron over Chamberlain simply because he adds another dimension to this side that oxlade doesn't which is important for a wide forward in our system: movement and anticipating gaps in the opponents backline. Chamberlain creates many chances but it unbalances the attacking quatret if all of them are looking to create opportunities but nobody is getting on the end of them. Andre Schurlle is quicker and a more efficient dribbler than Thomas Muller does that mean Schurlle should be selected ahead of Muller for Germany?
We have the genuine poblem at the moment that a lack of width is hindering us creating clear cut chances chances so while I can see Wengers reason for playing him there I don't think it's justified.

And just because he played a bad game in the center against West Ham it doesn't mean he can't play there ffs.

frass

This isn't about last night in particular. He rarely plays that ball even when Ox/Walcott start on the right. It is just a general characteristic of his play.

I think this is why Rosicky's late season cameo's have always had a positive effect on us - the guy is long past his best but Rosicky always plays forward-thinking football.

I feel that Santi sometimes just wants to keep the ball safe, which is what you need 95% of the time, but you do need to gamble sometimes and try to make things happen. It isn't just about making those perfect passes to give direct assists. I think he could do better in the build-up in terms of opening up space.

oh sorry, i thought you meant last night and the past few games. i understand the point you are making and i think he'd use the long pass more if we had chamberlain/walcott starting out more wide.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

How can ANYONE prefer Ramsey at RW? It's farking masochistic at this point.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ing-on-manchester-city-pace-says-gary-neville

I'm not comparing Silva and Özil directly, because they're different players. But both are no.10's and are playing in completely different environments. This quote from Neville summarises my sympathies for Mesut;

"He's now got pace all around him with Raheem Sterling, Jesus Navas, Kolarov and Sergio Aguero.

"Last season, they didn't have that pace in the team - Aguero was on and off form, Sterling wasn't at the club, Navas was in and out of the team.

"When you put all that pace back in, it makes Silva's job so much easier because he can just feed that pace.

Bellerin and Alexis are rapid, but after that he has Ramsey -who although is brilliant off the ball- isn't the quickest and Giroud who would probably run a 40 yard dash in 15 seconds. I think if you took Silva out of City's team and stuck Özil in they'd score even more goals, why? Özil uses less touches and his instinct is always to provide. Whereas Silva will occasionally try and cut inside to get a shot off.

I'm sick to the back teeth of arguing with people who don't rate Özil, I disagree with them but I respect their opinion and somewhat share their frustration. But Özil is the kind of player you build a team around. He's an absolute genius with the ball and always makes the right decision.

We need to keep him at no.10, sign a nippy striker who plays on the shoulder, and have Alexis and Ox/Theo flanking him. As good as I think Özil's been, his performances would go up a few notches with the right ingredients around him, it's been said so often and that's because it's the truth.

I have faith that eventually we'll surround Özil with the tools he needs. Simply because I know how highly Wenger rates him and I know how much he loves his teams to score goals. I really didn't wanna use this example but Mourinho (yes I know) created the perfect conditions for Özil because he knew what a talent he was.

Time to unlock Mesut.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
If Arsène would pull his digit out of his Arse and find the purrfect DLP/DM hybrid, we could do away with Santi, stick Aaron in the B2B and play Theo, The Ox or Danny out wide but because we have a very good but limited DM he has to plat Santi as CM.

Santi could then alternate with Özil as our N.10-two great effing No.10's. The whole conundrum is because he doesn't have the DLP/DM his team needs to execute their playing style

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
What does Chamberlain bring that Ramsey doesn't that would sharpen our attack to a whole new level? Ox with his dribbling and taking players is a creator like Sanchez, Özil and Cazorla all him starting alongside these players would only further unbalance the side as nobody would be getting on the end of created opportunities.
How can ANYONE prefer Ramsey at RW? It's farking masochistic at this point.

redanddread

What does Chamberlain bring that Ramsey doesn't that would sharpen our attack to a whole new level? Ox with his dribbling and taking players is a creator like Sanchez, Özil and Cazorla all him starting alongside these players would only further unbalance the side as nobody would be getting on the end of created opportunities.
The Ox brings legitimate width and an insane ability to beat his man from wide positions PLUS searing pace!

Ramsey needs to play but in his best position. Wenger fitting positions to players rather players to positions. He wants all his "best" players on the pitch and as a result our width gets ****ed in this present guise.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

As far as I'm concerned we are using two players (Cazorla & Coq) to do the job that one elite CM could do for us whilst enabling Ramsey to return to the middle.

We could have got one on the cheap (Cabaye), or tempted PSG with an offer for Raboit, or even bigger with Vidal.

Wenger has been skimping at CM for donkeys years and when we finally look like we've got an elite B2B player, we shove him to RW to accommodate two players at CM who have 50% of the characteristics we need there.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
How about the ability to get to the by -line and put in good crosses for Giroud? You know, the tactic that gets Giroud 90% of his goals.

Proof

Established Member
I would drop Cazorla and play Chamberlain on the wing.

Our CM pairing is not working. It's a shame that Arteta is past it because his partnership with Ramsey was really good. I think an adequate replacement for Arteta would be Joao Moutinho.

Maxim

Ramsey on the right is a problem. From the centre, his forward running brought the best out of both Olivier Giroud and Mesut Özil who are, in a sense, very similar players.

Giroud is an atypical Arsenal striker not because of his size, but because his best quality is his link play with an ability to set up onrushing teammates with one-touch passes, he's effectively another playmaker.

The Frenchman is not prolific -- he needs to play with a goal-scoring midfielder -- and Özil isn't a regular goal scorer either. Therefore, Ramsey is needed in the centre, and when he's burst beyond those two regularly -- a 3-0 win over West Ham last season was particularly memorable -- the football that transpires is brilliantly effective.

From this article: http://www.espnfc.co.uk/barclays-pr...s-coquelin-affects-arsenal-attacking-fluidity by Michael Cox, thanks @redanddread

I cannot agree more with this paragraph. This is why Ramsey absolutely has to play, he brings the best out of both Özil and Giroud.

Ramsey on the right is the outcome of Wenger trying to get the best out of Giroud/Özil/Ramsey combination play whilst keeping the Santi - Coq axis, and it's not really working. But if Özil and Giroud are going to be mainstays in the team, Ramsey. Must. Play.

Wilshere does similarly with Giroud but more by bouncing the ball off him as he dribbles past which I don't think is quite as effective.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Yeah I read that Michael Cox article and thought it was more or less spot on. Love his work. I didn't agree with his solution of replacing Coq with Arteta, I think he should have gone out and just said for Arsenal to purchase a more talented ball winner than Coq.

redanddread

Wenger's loyalty to his players is admirable but it means we're always waiting for them to develop into the real deal-it's why we always seem 2-3 player short-no different this season. He really enjoys solving the problem internally but it always costs us.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wenger's loyalty to his players is admirable but it means we're always waiting for them to develop into the real deal-it's why we always seem 2-3 player short-no different this season. He really enjoys solving the problem internally but it always costs us.
But at the moment, we have the solution internally... but we chose not to use them.
What's the point of Chambo and Theo if Wenger persist with Ramsey on the wing? Cazorla on the wing had a logic, but Ramsey?

scytheavatar

Established Member
But at the moment, we have the solution internally... but we chose not to use them.
What's the point of Chambo and Theo if Wenger persist with Ramsey on the wing? Cazorla on the wing had a logic, but Ramsey?

Ramsey on the wings probably had more logic than Cazorla on the wings; Ramsey at least is a goal threat and gives some pressing. Cazorla is nothing more than a worse version of Hleb as a winger. You guys need to get into your head that Ramsey has been given his chance to reclaim the center spot and he failed spectacularly, so it's either he works on the wings or he gets to spend an extended amount of time on our benches.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ramsey on the wings probably had more logic than Cazorla on the wings; Ramsey at least is a goal threat and gives some pressing. Cazorla is nothing more than a worse version of Hleb as a winger. You guys need to get into your head that Ramsey has been given his chance to reclaim the center spot and he failed spectacularly, so it's either he works on the wings or he gets to spend an extended amount of time on our benches.
When he failed to reclaim center spot, the logic is to fight from the bench and not give him the luxury of another spot so can he work on his skills.
Also note that this isn't his first luxury run at RW, he also spectacularly failed in RW a few season back.
More over, comparing goal threats, we have a healthy Theo on the bench which is much more of a goal threat than Ramsey.

And also have any of you know about rotation? Even if rides the bench cause his CM position is taken, he would have a chance to take it back when we have rotation.. but of course, Arsenal DOESN'T DO rotation.

PS: Cazorla is a winger for years

Arsenal in Aus

we are using two players (Cazorla & Coq) to do the job that one elite CM could do for us whilst enabling Ramsey to return to the middle.
That is the bottom line. Ramsey is an absolutely superb B2B midfielder, plus he has so many years ahead of him. Buy an Alonso-type to play along side him in the centre, they can even rotate with the Cazorla/Coq combination if AW wants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom