• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Xhaka and ?

Who should partner Xhaka in midfield?

• Total voters

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
The midfield is a bit of a mess if we're honest. Xhaka and Ramsey haven't shown us anything yet to prove they're 'very near' the answer, we'll see how they handle the Chelsea and Liverpool games but I wouldn't be surprised if Coquelin moves in for one of them. The best pairing we've had in years is Santi-Coq and that had it's flaws. I think in a double pivot you need good structure and organisation, and it's not really something we seem to do well at Arsenal. Full backs miles forward when we're in possession, centre backs often past the halfway line, Ramsey running forward when he should be making himself an option deep. People who think Wilshere is going to come back and solve everything are in for a shock.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Just add the numbers up and voila! If only it was that simple.

That partnership is gash imo. Laboured, uncreative with plenty of holes and no goals... As someone once said, St Etienne would be proud of it.

:lol::lol::lol: no goals. Because that's what our completely disjointed midfield needs and is lacking. Let them make more runs into the box and make it even easier for the opposition to counter us!

You're utterly clueless when it comes to tactics, and you're the one giving it big to Wenger.

Let us find a partnerships that works tactially at its best interest for the team before we scream for goals from midfield. Besides one of those two players has scored 3/4 goals we've had from midfield, so if you're looking for goals, that partnerships sounds fine in comparison to the others.

Furious

Our midfield was always going to struggle this season, that much was obvious. That's why most of us still wanted a guy like Kante after we bought Xhaka.

However building good partnerships takes times, so I wouldn't write Xhaka/Ramsey off just yet despite our overwhelming information on Ramsey and what we've seen of Xhaka so far. Give them a few more games together and let us see from there. Obviously playing it away at Stanford Brigde would be ****, but what is the alternative? Feckin Coquelin? **** that. Try something new.

I liked whah I saw from Ramsey at Swansea actually. Looked like his former self and linked well with Mesut, and when that happens we know we can hurt the opposition.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
:lol::lol::lol: no goals. Because that's what our completely disjointed midfield needs and is lacking. Let them make more runs into the box and make it even easier for the opposition to counter us!

You're utterly clueless when it comes to tactics, and you're the one giving it big to Wenger.

Let us find a partnerships that works tactially at its best interest for the team before we scream for goals from midfield. Besides one of those two players has scored 3/4 goals we've had from midfield, so if you're looking for goals, that partnerships sounds fine in comparison to the others.
Oh I'm sorry, was it just the lack of goals I highlighted?
Laboured, uncreative with plenty of holes and no goals....

It was last on the list, but yes, we do also need midfielders who can actually chip in and, Xhaka, to date, hasn't shown that anywhere at the top level. Who we going to rely on, Alexis and Giroud? Don't worry, 2,000,000 combined passes will get us over the line. :lol:

But just ignore all the other short-comings, why don't you? And I'm meant to be the tactically clueless one... You couldn't make this sh!t up.

But you know best, Mr bipolar ADHD Trapattoni.

Last edited:

Furious

Oh I'm sorry, was it just the lack of goals I highlighted?

It was last on the list, but yes, we do also need midfielders who can actually chip in and, Xhaka, to date, hasn't shown that anywhere at the top level. Who we going to rely on, Alexis and Giroud? Don't worry, 2,000,000 combined passes will get us over the line. :lol:

But just ignore all the other short-comings, why don't you? And I'm meant to be the tactically clueless one... You couldn't make this sh!t up.

But you know best, Mr bipolar ADHD Trapattoni.

I highlighted the goals because you mention that evey time speaking of any position completely ignoring tactics and cohesion in the team with the selected players. :lol:

Xhaka is actually the guy who has chipped in and scored 3 of the 4 goals we have from midfield but okay, fair enough. Let's play Coquelin!

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Our midfield was always going to struggle this season, that much was obvious. That's why most of us still wanted a guy like Kante after we bought Xhaka.

However building good partnerships takes times, so I wouldn't write Xhaka/Ramsey off just yet despite our overwhelming information on Ramsey and what we've seen of Xhaka so far. Give them a few more games together and let us see from there. Obviously playing it away at Stanford Brigde would be ****, but what is the alternative? Feckin Coquelin? **** that. Try something new.

I liked whah I saw from Ramsey at Swansea actually. Looked like his former self and linked well with Mesut, and when that happens we know we can hurt the opposition.
Given that we don't have concrete organization to go with our overall philosophy, it is an easy presumption to make that our partnership basically must consist of 2 players capable of playing more than one function. Basically, they must both be relatively complete because Wenger so far hasn't put together a partnership in a long time that complements our overall game. Even Arteta/Ramsey combo was a long way off. It can even be argued that Coquelin/Cazorla was more effective than the former as a midfield combination.

Xhaka-Kante would have been an extremely well rounded partnership in terms of overall skillsets collectively and individually. Would still have been relatively flawed given Xhaka's lack of agility and acceleration, as well as his occasional dabbling into the art of sh*thousery. Nevertheless, his technical ability and stamina would have complemented Kante well. Kante isn't that much better on the ball than Coquelin but he would still have been an improvement.

Nonetheless, the midfield - while not much can be changed this season, and Wenger would be unlikely to make that change anyway - is still relatively salvageable over time.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I highlighted the goals because you mention that evey time speaking of any position completely ignoring tactics and cohesion in the team with the selected players. :lol:
What the christ are you on about ? o_O If you can't see what a d!ck you're being, you never will.

Furious

What the christ are you on about ? o_O If you can't see what a d!ck you're being, you never will.

Oh dear. Which partnership has goals then in this Arsenal team if one with 75% of the midfield goals doesn't?

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Oh dear. Which partnership has goals then in this Arsenal team if one with 75% of the midfield goals doesn't?
You must have been drinking that potato moonshine from grandmas shed tbh.

Go sleep it off, lad. I'll let you talk more jumped-up hot air tomorrow. Wouldn't want to get you so mad that you get yourself banned again :lol:

Furious

You must have been drinking that potato moonshine from grandmas shed tbh.

Go sleep it off, lad. I'll let you talk more jumped-up hot air tomorrow. Wouldn't want to get you so mad that you get yourself banned again :lol:

I'll repeat:

Which partnership has goals then in this Arsenal team if one with 75% of the midfield goals doesn't?

--

Hilarious avoiding when you get exposed as clueless. :lol:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Wenger hasnt really thought the Xhaka transfer through as well as I had hoped. With the way our positional play lacks proper organization in terms of our passing, Xhaka's extremely good passing, particularly long range, should offset that in theory but as we have seen, cut off all his passing lanes and he has nowhere to go. Teams have been putting extended pressure on him and he is not as handy on the dribble so surely one must find a solution to use his strengths and minimize the weaknesses, what a manager should do.

Ramsey would need to focus on offering an extra body in possession in different areas to advance the attack, like he used to do. Swansea was encouraging, he had a far more diligent game than I was expecting.

I remain somewhat skeptical that a Xhaka-Ramsey duo will work long term but it will need time to work.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Our best center midfield duo without Cazorla is very clearly Xhaka/Elneny..... Elneny has been the player closest to bridging the gap lacking Cazorla left in the team. It's all about passing the ball fast and moving to the right positions without the ball, and Elneny is the best midfielder we have for doing that after Cazorla. Our best non-Cazorla performances have come with that duo and it should be the duo we play with until Cazorla returns.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The midfield is a bit of a mess if we're honest. Xhaka and Ramsey haven't shown us anything yet to prove they're 'very near' the answer, we'll see how they handle the Chelsea and Liverpool games but I wouldn't be surprised if Coquelin moves in for one of them. The best pairing we've had in years is Santi-Coq and that had it's flaws. I think in a double pivot you need good structure and organisation, and it's not really something we seem to do well at Arsenal. Full backs miles forward when we're in possession, centre backs often past the halfway line, Ramsey running forward when he should be making himself an option deep. People who think Wilshere is going to come back and solve everything are in for a shock.
If you could sell them all and start from scratch I would.

We've managed to amass so many midfielders yet none of them form an ideal partnership. It's actually quite impressive when you think about it (in a sad way).

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Personally I still want to go with the 12-13 Madrid approach. A deep lying playmaker paired with an athletic box to box midfielder. I would want that B2B midfielder to make defence just as much of a priority as offence.

Personally I'm sick of knowing that our midfield can/will get cut apart at any given moment. Defence wins you titles and we concede so many preventable goals.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Our best center midfield duo without Cazorla is very clearly Xhaka/Elneny..... Elneny has been the player closest to bridging the gap lacking Cazorla left in the team. It's all about passing the ball fast and moving to the right positions without the ball, and Elneny is the best midfielder we have for doing that after Cazorla. Our best non-Cazorla performances have come with that duo and it should be the duo we play with until Cazorla returns.

Granted it is a very small sample, but with Santi's absence, Xhaka-Elneny may have been the most promising duo. They are both very positionally aware, sound tactically and very good technically.
Our offensive transitions seemed faster with this duo and we also looked more secure defensively.
I reckon though that Arsène will keep the Xhaka-Ramsey this week end to give itmore time & chance to gel. I am not convinced though it is a good option. At the Bridge, I am certain that Coq will be back.

Latest posts

Top Bottom