Squad Analysis 2011/12

KY (Forum Member) on April 22nd, 2012, 6:16 pm

One thing I'd add to your post though, Gooner1991.

Judging from previous comments from ex players, like Cesc (can't remember others), is the generally feeling that Wenger doesn't send out specific roles for the players and give them the freedom to do what they want. I think this is why Wenger demands such a high level intelligence from his players and a big criteria when it comes to signings and not just workmenlike players who do what they're told. Because Wenger just doesn't tell them specifically what to do. I think that contributes to what you say about Song, who is caught out of position so often and is deemed unreliable. It's quite obvious if you look at our defensive lineup. Bar Left back, it's pretty obvious that Kos, Sagna, Szc and often Vermaelen are intelligent fellas.
Our best players have always been players who are tactically intelligent. and that really should be factored into the transfer targets as well. That's actually why I'm not such a big fan of Podolski, who I feel is a hothead and not particularly astute. Always felt that he was always overrated...
Also think its the main reason why we didn't go for Parker, despite the cheap price.
...though doesn't explain why we miss out on Mata.

dpt49 (Banned) on April 22nd, 2012, 6:52 pm

GOONER1991 wrote:IN:

Podolski - 11m
M'Vila - 22m
Vertroghen - 13m
AM - 20+m

Total: 66-70m

Out

Vela - 5m
Squillaci - 2m
Djourou - 6m
Bendtner - 7m
Chamakh - 7m
Arshavin - 7m
Denilson - 4m
Park - 2m

(doesn't it disgust you the amount of dross we have on our books?)

Total: 40m

Net Spend - 16 - 20m

Good post.
The list of players that will probably be sold are also on very high wages, so although we might not get much in transfer fees we will save about 20m a year in wages.
Also I don't think Wenger will buy both Vertonghen and M'Villa, although both would be good.

You are certainly right when you say, "doesn't it disgust you the amount of dross we have on our books?"
There aren't many clubs that would pay astronomical wages to so many dross players.

Enfield (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 2:38 pm

So as it stands we will roughly speaking replace Gervinho with Podolski. That is an improvement. Also we can hope for oxlade to be a bit more consistent and we can also add Wilshere to our playing options. Now if we can iron out one or two difficulties like our LB and DM both going to the opposition box to say hello at the same time we are well on the way back.

Wouterus (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 3:32 pm

My guess is that the front line will be Podolski - Van Persie - Walcott.
Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gervinho provide decent cover for LW/RW. Podolski could play as a central striker when Van Persie needs a rest. I would be satisfied if we bought an AM, experienced backup goalkeeper and Vertonghen. A LB would be good too but I can't see that happening.

outlaw_member (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 3:51 pm

I think if we are to truly compete next season, we require 4 major signings and 3 squad signings.

A goalscorer to start alongside Van Persie - Podolski
A skilful dribbler who is penetrative - ???
A creative central midfielder - ???
A strong defensive minded midfielder - ???

A CF backup -
A RB backup -
A GK backup -

Vela (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 4:18 pm

GK - Szczesny
LB - Gibbs, Santos
RB - Sagna, Jenkinson
CB - Verm, Kos, Mertesacker
CM - Song, Arteta, Rosicky, Wilshere, Ramsey, Coquelin
LW - Podolski, Chamberlain
RW - Walcott, Gervinho
CF - van Persie

I'm sure all these players will definitely be here, going by van Persie and Walcott sign new deals. Then if AW cuts deadwood like Vela, Bendtner, Chamakh etc. Questions about Diaby, Djourou, Fabianski futures didn't put them above.

Loan - Ryo, Campbell, Afobe, Frimpong etc.

Above would be the ideal squad to start adding/buying players in to, in the summer. With players like Diaby, Djourou sold.

THunter (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 4:34 pm

outlaw_member wrote:I think if we are to truly compete next season, we require 4 major signings and 3 squad signings.

A skilful dribbler who is penetrative - Hazard
A creative central midfielder - Kagawa
A strong defensive minded midfielder - M'Vila

A CF backup - Huntelaar
A RB backup - Fanni
A GK backup - Handanovic
BOOM!

kofigunner (Trusted Member) on April 30th, 2012, 4:59 pm

GOONER1991 wrote:IN:

Podolski - 11m
M'Vila - 22m
Vertroghen - 13m
AM - 20+m

Total: 66-70m

Out

Vela - 5m
Squillaci - 2m
Djourou - 6m
Bendtner - 7m
Chamakh - 7m
Arshavin - 7m
Denilson - 4m
Park - 2m

(doesn't it disgust you the amount of dross we have on our books?)

Total: 40m

Net Spend - 16 - 20m

This should be well within our budget, especially with the amount of big sales we've had over recent seasons. The sale of Nasri should in itself cover this, and Wenger was willing to let him go this summer for free, so we must not be THAT hard up for the cash.

I like your idea too but just remember that net spend for Wenger will include contract extensions including RVP, Theo and Song etc.

kenkbc2 (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Podolski, RVP, Arteta, Rosicky, TV, Kos, Sagna, Mertesacker...no more are we going to be called the 'Young' Gunners next season.

spartandre217 (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 6:06 pm

If we manage to get just one more midfielder, we should be in decent stead.. Another attacker and we could be on course for a guaranteed top 3 spot provided Chelsea don't utterly shatter the bank.

mavelous (Trusted Member) on April 30th, 2012, 6:13 pm

outlaw_member wrote:I think if we are to truly compete next season, we require 4 major signings and 3 squad signings.

A CF backup -
A RB backup -
A GK backup -

any rationale for those?

THunter (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Podolski, M'Vila and Kagawa would be the stuff of dreams really, anything more would be a Madridesque transfer window.

fabo (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 6:15 pm

I think there's zero chance of two midfielders, I'm sceptical about us adding one tbh.

Freagle (Trusted Member) on April 30th, 2012, 6:15 pm

Question here. Since we signed Podolski and we have to register only 25 players in the team, does that mean we have to offload someone? Possibly a striker (Chamakh)?

I think if this is true, then for every signing we make, we should accept the fact that some players will be offloaded.

evoh_1 (Lobby Member) on April 30th, 2012, 6:15 pm

kofigunner wrote:I like your idea too but just remember that net spend for Wenger will include contract extensions including RVP, Theo and Song etc.

Yeah but think of the net wages that will coming off the books plus the cost of signing players onto new deals only includes the initial year of the contract not the entire cost of the whole deal. We are short on players again this year as we have been for a number of years and look to finally be getting rid of some project players who haven't produced what we haoped of them.

We will need to spend around £70-90 mil on new players including re-signing current players onto new deals to compete next year as i can't see chelsea messing up like this season and will surely strengthen their squad. Tottenham will be competitve but everything depends on whether they sell modric and how well they us the funds / replace him. Unsure of what to expect from liverpool and newcastle next season however united and city are the two we really need to compete with on the pitch and at the moment they are ahead by a distance.

Next year will be even harder than this year in terms of competion in the league BUT if we can finish third we will be able offer secure champions league football to players along with stable management, something that stands us out from teams at the top other than utd and city. If we use this to our advantage then it could pay benefits from a number of seasons however this would represent a 'gamble' to the board in sustainable terms so I doubt we will invest heavily.

IN:

Kagawa / Jovetic, Hazard, Podolski, M'Vila, Yossi + re-sign RVP, Song and Theo

OUTS:

Vela, Squillaci, Bendtner, Chamakh, Diaby, Denilson, Arshavin

mavelous (Trusted Member) on April 30th, 2012, 6:21 pm

There could be restructuring though, because give or take 2 major disasters that we are due every season, even these numbers weren't enough. song, arteta, rosicky, ramsey, benayoun, wilshere, diaby, coquelin, frimpong. obviously that's all that was, numbers without enough solid team even if we account for the 2 freak injuries and the obvious diaby problem.

yes, unfortunately diaby seems to be on the way out, loan for a one or both of frimpoq. the whole mvila thing is interesting which i suspect is in case song moves on which would be a sad because from the 09-10 base, there's only sagna, vermaelen, rvp and walcott. what we need probably is a versatile attacker capable of playing behind the striker or on the wing, because i think chances that benayoun stays are slim as much as we like him.

outlaw_member (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 6:39 pm

mavelous wrote:

A CF backup -
A RB backup -
A GK backup -

any rationale for those?

A goalscorer to support Van Persie doesn't require an explanation.

We need a fast technical dribbler who can carry the ball through the lines and create dangerous situations. We've got two players in that mould in Gervinho and Walcott, but they both fall short for various reasons. I'm not referring to a Hleb or Nasri type dribbler, but someone who is very direct like Luis Suarez, or a young Arshavin. We often come up against deep lying defences, and we need players who can break through the packs through explosive dribbling. The added caveat is that the player also needs to be technically exceptional, otherwise he too will fall short. Gervinho could be that player, if he steps up massively next season, but there are just too many flaws in his game. The truth is that we really need a wiry technical runner to feed of Van Persie's link up play. People often note how well Walcott teams up with him, but a technician on the Dutchman's level will form an even better combination.

A creative central midfielder is another one that doesn't need much reasoning. Someone who is strong enough defensively to complement our pressing game, and positionally sound enough to form a part of our midfield. In that sense, a superior version of Rosicky, rather than a Fabregas.

A defensive minded midfielder who can actually defend, but is still technically good enough to play technical football. M'Vila fits that bill, and whilst Song may seem to be that player, he's found wanting all too often when it comes to a defensive contribution, let alone his technical shortcomings.

The rest are just to bolster our squad, as Chamakh, Fabianski and Jenkinson are not good enough, or too close to a starting position. Imagine for instance, Sagna is sidelined next season, and Jenkinson is starting the large majority of our games. Well, it would be great for his education, but not so good for our aspirations.

Mastadon (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Good post outlaw sums up what we need nicely. I really hope we make a few more quality signings. We have a very good core in the squad now and with the right signings we could push on to the next level.

kofigunner (Trusted Member) on April 30th, 2012, 9:55 pm

outlaw_member wrote:A creative central midfielder is another one that doesn't need much reasoning. Someone who is strong enough defensively to complement our pressing game, and positionally sound enough to form a part of our midfield. In that sense, a superior version of Rosicky, rather than a Fabregas.
Yaya Toure would've been nice ;-). Seriously I can't think of that many that are that good and are available and not spoken for by one of the money bag teams. I would've thought of Modric last year but he has had a torrid season by his standards, 4 goals and 6 assists.

iced22 (Forum Member) on April 30th, 2012, 10:08 pm

kofigunner wrote:
outlaw_member wrote:A creative central midfielder is another one that doesn't need much reasoning. Someone who is strong enough defensively to complement our pressing game, and positionally sound enough to form a part of our midfield. In that sense, a superior version of Rosicky, rather than a Fabregas.
Yaya Toure would've been nice ;-). Seriously I can't think of that many that are that good and are available and not spoken for by one of the money bag teams. I would've thought of Modric last year but he has had a torrid season by his standards, 4 goals and 6 assists.

Believe it or not this is Modric's second best tally ever for Tottenham. He's the type of player who's value doesn't show up in surface stats, just like Wilshere last season.

As for creative central midfielders, Yohan Cabaye fits the bill for me. Wanted him last year, but looks like we'll have to more than double what Newcastle paid for him.

Illusion (Trusted Member) on May 1st, 2012, 12:24 pm

One thing is for sure, we're not going to be able to offload all the players we'd all like to see offloaded. Which means we're certainly not going to sign that many players either.

Wouterus (Forum Member) on May 1st, 2012, 2:26 pm

There are indeed quite a few players that we need to offload:

Goalkeepers:
The contracts of almunia and Fabianski run out. They will leave, so we need to get a backup goalkeeper. Mannone isn't really Arsenal material but he might stay as a third choice.

Defenders:
We should just let Squillaci go for free, I don't think we will be able to get a transfer fee for him. Then there is Miquel, it is probably best for him to go on loan, preferably to a Premier League club. Vertonghen would be perfect to fill in the open space. I doubt that Bartley will ever become good enough for Arsenal. I wouldn't mind if he left.

Midfield:
Diaby might leave, but his salary and transfer fee might be an obstacle, considering his injury proneness. We should try to offload Lansbury and Denilson, making Denilson priority number one. Though I like Lansbury, he is never going to get a chance at Arsenal.

Strikers:
We definitely need some movement in this area. Arshavin will leave. Chamakh, Park and Vela have to go as well. There will be enough interest in Vela. We will have a difficult time offloading Chamakh and Park. I wouldn't mind keeping Bendnter as a backup, but since he wants to leave, we should let him.
Ryo Miyaichi should be loaned out again for at least six months, preferably to Bolton if they manage to stay in the Premier League. Joel Campbell and Afobe will be loaned out as well.

It will be a busy summer. It should be. If it isn't a busy summer, something is wrong. No news is bad news. The incoming transfers depend on the outgoing transfers.

Vela (Forum Member) on May 1st, 2012, 7:21 pm

Good post Wouterus, I agree with all of it.

realtalk (Lobby Member) on May 1st, 2012, 7:34 pm

squads not bad its getting there mixture of youth and exp.Need to sell unwanted players.

Need to get the wingforwards a little closer to rvp and just play balls forward like the highbury days.

Were almost there just need to get rid of these injurys & just get mentally tougher and get more greedy.

Freagle (Trusted Member) on May 2nd, 2012, 6:58 am

I always used to think that it's too early to talk about transfers while the season is still rolling. I guess that's one of Arsenes philosophies that I stuck with. Mind me, I am trying my best to resist that smirk or feeling of triumph (although it is non-existent) but seeing Arsène already lurking around and concluding deals is an absolute delight for me. I can imagine Arsène rolling up his sleeves with his unbelievably long blue Arsenal raincoat and screaming at Gazidis about his targets.

With that said, as much as I can't resist that evil smile and as much as I couldn't resist dancing around when I found out we officially signed Podolski, I simply refuse to give in. We have been through enough to know that somehow, some way Arsène will stall with further signings. A friend of mine who is an Arsenal supporter as well mentioned the fact that we as fans are like a volley ball, as soon as you go up; you will be smacked down to reality.

Do I expect Arsène to roll up his sleeves and sign more players? I don't know but I bloody sure hope so. What I know is this, there are signs showing that we must change and that Arsène is slowly acknowledging his mistakes. His 'experiment' not so long ago now seems a bit non-existent and with time I feel Arsène will delve further into the market. The transformation from a team that had a majority of youngsters to now a team with a majority of experienced internationals sends waves of excitement to Arsenal fans.

There has to be change and from where I am sitting, Arsène seems to have acknowledged that some time ago. With the signing of Podolski and hopefully a couple more I do believe we have it within us to clinch that bastard of a trophy that we so much crave.

This is no Wenger out post, this is no Wenger has to stay one either. I am simply saying what I think of our squad and how I can see Arsène assessing our situation.

Here, briefly a list of players I feel that should leave and a list that I would love to join. I will not include prices as I am no expert.

Out:

Arshavin: Big wages, played out of position. Doesn't look comfortable. We should look to benefit from his sale money and his wages.

Diaby: As much as I like Diaby (and I know people will disagree) but he is at the top of my list of players that should leave. He is taking up unneeded space in the team. We can only register 25 players (bar the under 21) I feel we will never get to see enough of Diaby. Better suited for someone who can contribute for at least 25% of the games in a season.

Almunia, Denilson, Squillaci, Chamakh, Vela, Bendtner and unfortunately Park.

Players in:

Podolski

Jan Vertonghen: We need quality depth at the back. Some as versatile as Jan would be ideal. His rumoured price is 7 million pounds and while there are other clubs interested, I hope with our connections with Dennis Bergkamp, we can be the number one club leading this race. He can play as a centre back, left back and a defensive midfielder. A bargain for his talent.

Oliver Giroud: While Giroud would be an ideal signing, I see no reason for his signing unless we convert formation. A big ask. 21 goals and 8 assists this season.

Eden Hazard: Although United/City are leading the race, he is a player we so much need in this club. 17 goals, 13 assists and that doesn't even show the full picture of his talent. Brutal and decisive in his runs.

Riccardo Montolivo: While some people are leaning towards M'Villa (understandably so) I feel what we lack is offensive cohesion and Montolivo would fit the bill to perfection. Classy team player who has made his intentions public to the media about leaving Fiorentina in the summer. We have Coquelin who I believe has bags of potential who can cover for Song but I wouldn't trust Ramsey to step in and provide for our forwards.

On top of all that, his contract expires in the summer. A must in my opinion.

evoh_1 (Lobby Member) on May 3rd, 2012, 3:00 pm

Here is one of the most important things to address:

our AMC player(s) in all comps have scored a grand total of 5 goals. Arshavin 1 in the league cup, rosicky 1 in the league and one in the champions league and ramsey has two in the league and one in the champions league = 6 goals in total all season.

Thats pitiful and the number of assists is hardly spectacular, we need to get a elite level player in for this role next season as a priority + a defensive minded midfielder as a minimum on top of podolski.

Outliar (Forum Member) on May 5th, 2012, 12:18 pm

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... -evaluated

Pretty funny read on Goal.com on our signings

Anzac (Trusted Member) on May 5th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Still a LOT of work needed across the park.

Coypus (Forum Member) on May 17th, 2012, 11:15 pm

The main task if of course RvP stays is a high quality midfielder. The stats are quite frightening. In the 9 games without Arteta (and I admit I'm not his biggest fan) we averaged under 1 point per game with him in 29 games its over 2 points per game. Thats the priority our midfield was shocking this season.

The defense I excuse as it was only able to field its proper players in their proper positions (albeit differing personel) 18 times. How can 4 full backs be injured at once!

Hoya (Forum Member) on May 18th, 2012, 3:42 am

We were found lacking in the depth department over the year. Most of the players on loan shouldn't bother coming back. There are players we literally couldn't offload last season (and likely will have more problems this season) and other like Squid and Almunia. I know Al's contract is up, I can only hope so for the others. There are players on our books who we can't even put into the game because they mess up so badly, that's a disgrace. We need a lot of investment unfortunately and we don't have a great track record in that regard unfortunately.

Podolski is a HUGE first step however, don't get me wrong. Need several reliable midfielders, not just Arteta and Rosicky when he's in a good spell of form (good thing Wilshere will come back sometime). Ugh. So much work. Hopefully this will be an exciting off-season.
Previous Next

tracker