Premier league 2011: The race for ......?

SA Gunner (Forum Member) on March 19th, 2012, 7:45 pm

bazza_afc wrote:Huge week in the race for CL football, Chelsea will surely lose to City & Spurs have a tricky home game vs Stoke, then they play each other on Sunday.

If we come out of our 2 fixtures vs Everton & Villa with 6 points I'm pretty sure we'll be sitting in 3rd place with a bit of daylight between us & Chelsea. Winning at Everton would put us in such a strong position.

Hmmm lets see...

Best case scenario

Match day 29

Arsenal win
Chelsea lose
Spurs lose

3. Arsenal 55
4. Spurs 53
5. Chelsea 49

Match day 30

Arsenal win
Chelsea win
Spurs lose

3. Arsenal 58
4. Spurs 53
5. Chelsea 52

Worst case scenario

Match day 29

Arsenal lose
Spurs win
Chelsea win

3. Spurs 56
4. Arsenal 52
5. Chelsea 52

Match day 30

Arsenal lose
Spurs lose
Chelsea win

3. Spurs 56
4. Chelsea 53
5. Arsenal 52

Most likely scenario

Match day 29

Arsenal draw
Spurs win
Chelsea lose

3. Spurs 56
4. Arsenal 53
5. Chelsea 49

Match day 30

Arsenal win
Spurs draw
Chelsea draw

3. Spurs 57
4. Arsenal 56
5. Chelsea 50

Last edited by SA Gunner on March 19th, 2012, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mistaT (Trusted Member) on March 19th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Everton is a must win

Beksl (Forum Member) on March 19th, 2012, 9:10 pm

ArsenalDNA wrote:For some reason i thought the only Arsenal fan that would want Chelsea to win the CL is Wilshere...

...and Outlaw with his Chelsea kit he sometimes wears :lol:

Seriously, even if Chelsea manage to win the CL, which I highly doubt, they won't be part of the competition if they're 5th in the league. I think UEFA was clear on that after the Liverpool exception.

AnthonyG (Administrator) on March 20th, 2012, 12:07 am

Beksl wrote:Seriously, even if Chelsea manage to win the CL, which I highly doubt, they won't be part of the competition if they're 5th in the league. I think UEFA was clear on that after the Liverpool exception.
Yes, they will. I don't know how I can be any clearer on this, having explained it a couple of times recently. :P

Beksl (Forum Member) on March 20th, 2012, 1:06 am

AnthonyG wrote:
Beksl wrote:Seriously, even if Chelsea manage to win the CL, which I highly doubt, they won't be part of the competition if they're 5th in the league. I think UEFA was clear on that after the Liverpool exception.
Yes, they will. I don't know how I can be any clearer on this, having explained it a couple of times recently. :P

I've missed your explanation(s) then. :mrgreen:

I found myself a straightforward one:

If the CL winner is not in top 4, CL winner automatically qualifies and the 4th place team goes to Europa league

Illusion (Trusted Member) on March 20th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Beksl wrote:
ArsenalDNA wrote:For some reason i thought the only Arsenal fan that would want Chelsea to win the CL is Wilshere...

...and Outlaw with his Chelsea kit he sometimes wears :lol:

But it looks so good!

perspolis (Forum Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 3:30 am

we have 9 games left

7 of them against teams in the bottom half of the table

2 against Chelsea and City at home

on paper we should finish 3rd... hoping we can keep the momentum and beat Villa at home.

redwhiteAustrian (Global Moderator) on March 22nd, 2012, 7:38 am

The form of our team is just incredible right now.
Can't remember the last time when we've got such a good string of results against that tough an opposition, all in succession.

2-1 at Sunderland
5-2 against Spuds
2-1 at Anfield
2-1 against Newcastle
1-0 at Goodison

I didn't expect that to happen at all, and now I'm a bit relieved that we've managed to get ourselves in pole position for a CL place, despite our tough fixtures.

Kudos to both the team and Wenger for dragging us out of the **** we've found ourselves in, after January.

redwhiteAustrian (Global Moderator) on March 22nd, 2012, 7:41 am

Oh and let's not forget.....great effort from both Arsenal and the FA in breaking Spuds in February/March.

Priceless.
:D

ArsenalDNA (Forum Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 11:15 am

redwhiteAustrian wrote:The form of our team is just incredible right now.
Can't remember the last time when we've got such a good string of results against that tough an opposition, all in succession.

2-1 at Sunderland
5-2 against Spuds
2-1 at Anfield
2-1 against Newcastle
1-0 at Goodison

I didn't expect that to happen at all, and now I'm a bit relieved that we've managed to get ourselves in pole position for a CL place, despite our tough fixtures.

Kudos to both the team and Wenger for dragging us out of the **** we've found ourselves in, after January.

Chuck in the 7-1 against Blackburn too. We were expected to win that game but considering the run we had been on before it a draw wouldn't have surprised me.

I wonder what the odds would have been for us to win those 6 games in a row. Going into it i honestly thought we would win one maybe two. Really couldn't see us getting a result away at Liverpool and home against Spurs. It really has been a phenomenal run of results.

fabo (Forum Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 12:15 pm

We've done brilliantly in recent months to turn it around.

Fixture list still looks tricky enough to me, especially the away games at Stoke, QPR, Wolves. But we look on course to get a Top 4 spot now and get a pts total similar to recent seasons which looked unlikely a while back.

Hope we push on in the Summer and make some key additions, the squad is really lacking offensive quality and depth(thankfully we are out of everything else now, think that would kill us). A wide forward and one back-up CF who we can actually trust to fill in would be nice initially.

Floating (Trusted Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 1:35 pm

fabo wrote:We've done brilliantly in recent months to turn it around.

Fixture list still looks tricky enough to me, especially the away games at Stoke, QPR, Wolves.

Wolves have been absolute gash since McCarthy was sacked. They just rolled over for Man United at Molineux.

ArsenalDNA (Forum Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 1:58 pm

And until yesterday QPR had won 1 in 16.

Really, we would have to be a fckn shambles to drop points against either of those teams.

GG8 (Forum Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 2:13 pm

Its at this stage of the season where form tends to go out the window though.

Clubs battling for survival start giving every ounce they can, the teams above them have now been joined by Blackburn and QPR which will give them a kick up the ass to start putting points on the board. Teams below Newcastle and and Liverpool will be smelling European football now as well.

There is no easy games left, Liverpool were cruising yesterday then in the flick of a switch were down and out.

Our advantage is that we can focus soely on the PL games and have long rests inbetween each game. But given that Villa havent played in ages and we had a tough game last night Saturday is that bit harder. We should have more than enough to put them away at home however, but its still a concern for me.

ricky1985 (Elite Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 2:29 pm

fabo wrote:Hope we push on in the Summer and make some key additions, the squad is really lacking offensive quality and depth(thankfully we are out of everything else now, think that would kill us). A wide forward and one back-up CF who we can actually trust to fill in would be nice initially.

It's imperative we get in a couple of match winners. Right now Robin's the only reliable one we have, and that's just not enough.

That's always been United's secret down the years - they can be as crap as they want in games, but spread throughout their squad they've always had 4 or 5 match winners. They're the players that cost the big money and United have always had the money to buy them, City have stacked up on them too - this summer we've got to get a couple of them in - no cheaping out.

Beksl (Forum Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 2:30 pm

Who do you have in mind Ricky?

lee1001 (Trusted Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 2:56 pm

We are here all over again. 2-3 top signings away from a title challenging team. Will Wenger act this summer where he has failed in the past?

Sneezy, Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Gibbs could be one of the finest defensive units in Europe, IF we can keep them all fit.

That is a great base to build upon.

ebouenolike (Trusted Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 3:42 pm

It cannot be stressed how big of a win the derby was, for both sides.

ricky1985 (Elite Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 4:49 pm

Beksl wrote:Who do you have in mind Ricky?

Podolski would be a great start. The guy has 40 odd goals in 90 odd games for Germany - Robin's stress level throughout a season would be cut in half!

For me, Podolski would be Robin's understudy (or partner in attack if we decide to play the odd 4-4-2) first, and a wide forward second. With that in mind, I think we need to bring in a top wide man - I'd love it to be Eden Hazard. We know he's up for sale this summer and that Lille are in a weak negotiating position, there's no reason why we shouldn't be in for him. If we lose out to City or United because they offer him 200 grand a week then fair enough, but we've got to give signing him a damn good go.

Gotze would be another option, but I'm not sure Dortmund are going to let him go for anything less than an insane amount of money. If there's even half a chance his head can be turned this summer for anything like a reasonable amount, we've surely got to try.

There's also this Matias Suarez guy at Anderlecht who seems interesting, but if we go down that route we have to be sure he's going to be able to have a similar impact at a much higher level than the Belgium League. Maybe he's another Wenger hidden gem, but he has to get it right with him if he picks him over the more expensive and less risky other options.

Floating (Trusted Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 6:23 pm

ebouenolike wrote:It cannot be stressed how big of a win the derby was, for both sides.

So true. After 30 minutes in that game, we would have been 13 points off Spurs. Think about that, and look at where we both are now.

blaze_of_glory (Trusted Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 7:19 pm

Floating wrote:
ebouenolike wrote:It cannot be stressed how big of a win the derby was, for both sides.

So true. After 30 minutes in that game, we would have been 13 points off Spurs. Think about that, and look at where we both are now.

Yup, if we go on now to finish in third above Spurs/Chelsea, I think we'll point back to that game as the turing point in the season. Especially considering the results we had directly before it.

fabo (Forum Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 9:02 pm

Beksl (Forum Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 9:22 pm

That's an amazing video!

ebouenolike (Trusted Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 9:33 pm

This has been such a bizarre season, some INCREDIBLE moments though.

Henry vs Leeds, smashing Chelsea at the Bridge, last minute winners, nearly coming back from 4-0 down against Milan, 125th anniversary and smashing the scum at our gaff.

David Smith (Lobby Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 9:44 pm

It's been a roller coaster, from the start of the season where journalists asked Wenger if he can avoid relegation to now overcoming a 12 point gap to overtake Spurs and hoping to remain in 3rd place.

Rightfully so, we're excited. Last season however we were disappointed despite having a top 4 finish secure for most of the season. I guess starting on a low and finishing on a high is more morale boosting than starting on a high and finishing on a low.

Floating (Trusted Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 10:10 pm

ebouenolike wrote:This has been such a bizarre season, some INCREDIBLE moments though.

Henry vs Leeds, smashing Chelsea at the Bridge, last minute winners, nearly coming back from 4-0 down against Milan, 125th anniversary and smashing the scum at our gaff.

Henry v. Sunderland was pretty magical as well. So has been watching Robin all season. He's just an absolute bloody genius.

ebouenolike (Trusted Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 10:52 pm

Yep. That Sunderland game really did end perfectly. After losing Per and going 1-0 down it felt like it was over, Rambo to the rescue.

Spork (Forum Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 11:04 pm

It's been a pretty **** season, yet we've had more highlights than last season, where for me the most memorable game was the Barca game, then the Chelsea game and that's about it. I've probably forgotten one or two more, I guess getting into the CC final was decent, but the way we threw that one away. :(

I'm happy that we are not in any other competitions in this season, as it allows us to put a lot more effort into the EPL, and it seems to be showing up for the best.

ebouenolike (Trusted Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 11:06 pm

Yep. Chelsea being in three competitions is already starting to hit them hard.

AND ... if they beat Benfica, their run before playing us:

Sp*rs at Wembley, followed by Madrid at home, followed by us at the Grove. All in a week. Bound to hurt them.

Spork (Forum Member) on March 22nd, 2012, 11:08 pm

ebouenolike wrote:Yep. That Sunderland game really did end perfectly. After losing Per and going 1-0 down it felt like it was over, Rambo to the rescue.

I remember being at a pub with a mate who is a Chelscum supporter, and both of us went behind around the same time, and my only words were 'That's just how our seasons are at the moment'.

But no, Oh no, MOTHER FARLUPIN THIERRY HENRY GET THE HELL IN THERE YEA!

I must admit that I (and about 10 others in the pub) jumped around like a crazy man after Thierry's goal. We did not deserve anything but a win from that game, **** way for us to concede, I mean, I would expect us to do exactly the same if the roles were reversed (except not throw the game away at the end)
Previous Next

Options

tracker