EPL - Arsenal vs Chelsea, 21 Apr 12:45pm | SS2

AnthonyG (Administrator) on April 18th, 2012, 9:58 pm

dysphoria wrote:after watching how chelsea played against barca, i don't have much hope for this match, chances are, they will play against us similar to how they set out against barca and it won't be as tough for them. Sit deep, play on the break, deny space and close runners down.
I'll take my chances with 70% possession, 25 to 4 shots (15/2 on target), and 8-1 corners, at home.

future heroes (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:02 pm

Enfield wrote:If they come at us they are leaving themselves very open to the Robin Van Theo show and Terry is less likely every day to stop anyone
It is vital that we get the first goal.

One point is not enough for Chelsea. They need to win this game. If they don't get the lead they will open up and expose themselves sooner or later.

kopzilla (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:03 pm

They'll play Torres and Sturridge.

Bosingwa will come in for Ivanovic.

dysphoria (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:05 pm

AnthonyG wrote:
dysphoria wrote:after watching how chelsea played against barca, i don't have much hope for this match, chances are, they will play against us similar to how they set out against barca and it won't be as tough for them. Sit deep, play on the break, deny space and close runners down.
I'll take my chances with 70% possession, 25 to 4 shots (15/2 on target), and 8-1 corners, at home.

we'll never manage that against chelsea, as quiet as barca were today, i don't think we'll work as hard to press the chavs, to keep possession, to constantly make runs and to more often then not be able to pick out those runners accurately.

If anything, the way the chavs have been playing recently, more defensively and on the break, scrapping/grinding out results and riding their luck, they remind me more of mourinho's team and how he usually set them out to play which probably also explains their recent upturn in results.

Vinci (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Don't expect Drogba to play so soon after he did 90 minutes against Barca.

Should work to our advantage, if Torres is to play. He will stand no chance against a rested Bosscielny.

DJ_Markstar (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:07 pm

goonerwarsh wrote:Anyone know if Perry Groves is fit for this one?

I reckon our world record signing David Jack should score a brace for this one. 2-1 Arsenal, with Ed De Goey scoring for them.

dysphoria (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:09 pm

Vinci wrote:Don't expect Drogba to play so soon after he did 90 minutes against Barca.

Should work to our advantage, if Torres is to play. He will stand no chance against a rested Bosscielny.

lets hope koscielny's return will bring some reassurance to our back four, with djourou and santos coming in there, chances are it definitely brought in some instability as well, i'm hoping gibbs is fit to start instead of santos, assuming drogba doesn't start and torres does with kalou and sturridge, it'll be more about pace and santos isn't fit yet.

AnthonyG (Administrator) on April 18th, 2012, 10:20 pm

dysphoria wrote:we'll never manage that against chelsea, as quiet as barca were today, i don't think we'll work as hard to press the chavs, to keep possession, to constantly make runs and to more often then not be able to pick out those runners accurately.
Never said we would and Barca were 100% not quiet today. Just because the Chavs eeked out a 1-0 win over (most) everyone's team of flavour, it doesn't change much for this weekend. In fact, it doesn't have much of a bearing at all; we already knew Chelsea were a good team playing inconsistently.

dysphoria (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:29 pm

AnthonyG wrote:
dysphoria wrote:we'll never manage that against chelsea, as quiet as barca were today, i don't think we'll work as hard to press the chavs, to keep possession, to constantly make runs and to more often then not be able to pick out those runners accurately.
Never said we would and Barca were 100% not quiet today. Just because the Chavs eeked out a 1-0 win over (most) everyone's team of flavour, it doesn't change much for this weekend. In fact, it doesn't have much of a bearing at all; we already knew Chelsea were a good team playing inconsistently.

well compared to how they've been played most of their season so far(3 defeats in 63 games), they were slightly off today and plenty of that was down to how hard chelsea worked and defended from the front. The chavs definitely rode their luck with some poor finishes by barca that let them off the hook but then again, think any team who beat barca would have had to been lucky to some extent.

Hope you're right in the sense that their win against barca will not have a bearing in the game against us, personally i think it will, also their first clean sheet in some time and it came against barca, think it'll give them a nicely timed confidence boost and considering how inconsistent we can be and have been, how we looked very short of ideas against wigan who defended deep and worked really hard and played on the counter,(assuming chelsea play similarly), i think it'll be a very very tough game for us, not sure if i'd turn down a draw.

AnthonyG (Administrator) on April 18th, 2012, 10:36 pm

dysphoria wrote:no point predicting this match now, lets wait and see what happens during their game against barca. That'll give us a better indicator of what to expect, don't know which one would be better for us though, for barca to stuff them thoroughly or for the chavs to get a lucky result.
:?: Here you have an X or Y. Y happened. X didn't happen, Z didn't happen, so what happened to make you change your views?

dysphoria (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:39 pm

AnthonyG wrote:
dysphoria wrote:no point predicting this match now, lets wait and see what happens during their game against barca. That'll give us a better indicator of what to expect, don't know which one would be better for us though, for barca to stuff them thoroughly or for the chavs to get a lucky result.
:?: Here you have an X or Y. Y happened. X didn't happen, Z didn't happen, so what happened to make you change your views?

the manner of how they acheived their 1-0 victory, considering barca's form going into the game and chelsea's extreme inconsistency, playing quite badly whilst grinding out results which had alot to do with them having had many lucky calls go for them for some time now in recent games, i expected them to be thoroughly tested by barca, don't think barca managed that today because chelsea managed to blunt their effectiveness somewhat.

Glovegun (Trusted Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:45 pm

Didn't see too much tonight that concerns me. Barca would've won comfortably if their finishing had been better. I can't see Drogba and Lampard both starting with their trip to the Nou Camp in mind. Ivanovic is suspended as well, and Bosingwa is definitely a weak link.

Yes, Chelsea have experienced names who get themselves up for the big games. They will always have that threat and there is no way to neutralise players completely. What we have to do is take advantage of the extra rest that we've had, attack them from the off and make sure we take our chances.

If we do what we've done against Chelsea many times in the recent past and completely dominate them yet spurn opportunities in one box and cock up in the other, we'll lose. Shooting boots on please boys.

AnthonyG (Administrator) on April 18th, 2012, 10:46 pm

Hmmm, well, I think Chelsea were lucky, played a reasonably smart and dedicated game and all, but lucky. And maybe we're coming at it from different angles, since I don't worship the blades Barca dive around in.

For me, I think we have as good a chance to beat the Chavs as we did before this game. Take that for what you will. :lol:

yuvken (Elite Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:46 pm

The confidence is real, and the hints of form are real too - both surely a concern. It's not the greatest possible time to play chelsea (in at least these two aspects).

But then there are other aspects, and it's hard to tell how exactly in pans out. They fought really hard and gave a lot mentally just 3 days before the game. And possibly their minds would be, to some extent, distracted. Both could have a crucial effect, or have none at all.

There's also the thought of what this did to our players mentally: It was always going to be a big game for them, but surely now they must feel an added urgency.

And - how will our boss prepare for this? who are they actually going to play? Is the improved chance on the big prize now likely to affect the rational choice by their manager (keep some players for the CL, limit some other)?

I'm not really sure who they're going to play. But I get the feeling that in the circumstances (the above + Arteta from our side) We need to be demanding something from them, try to stretch them. Hope Theo keeps his tendency against them, because he can exploit tired defenders.
Hope to see us pressing, and hope VP's back. It's time.

dysphoria (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:51 pm

AnthonyG wrote:Hmmm, well, I think Chelsea were lucky. And maybe we're coming at it from different angles, since I don't worship the blades Barca dive around in.

For me, I think we have as good a chance to beat the Chavs as we did before this game. Take that for what you will. :lol:

i don't worship barca, between them and real, i'm hoping the latter win the la liga and the UCL if they both end up in the final. My dad's a chav fan and as a result, i often end up having to watch their games and if our games are on the same time as theirs, my dad usually pulls rank over me and gets the tele while i scramble around desperately for a stream

would really love for us to win it and finish him then them, i remember after our 5-3 victory over them earlier in the season, i actually got first dips on the tele for an extended period of time. :lol:

GDeep (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:52 pm

We'll see the likes of Bosingwa, Malouda, Torres, Sturridge and Kalou start against us, Mata too, will be surprised too see Lampard or Drogba feature.

dysphoria (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 10:57 pm

yuvken wrote:The confidence is real, and the hints of form are real too - both surely a concern. It's not the greatest possible time to play chelsea (in at least these two aspects).

But then there are other aspects, and it's hard to tell how exactly in pans out. They fought really hard and gave a lot mentally just 3 days before the game. And possibly their minds would be, to some extent, distracted. Both could have a crucial effect, or have none at all.

There's also the thought of what this did to our players mentally: It was always going to be a big game for them, but surely now they must feel an added urgency.

And - how will our boss prepare for this? who are they actually going to play? Is the improved chance on the big prize now likely to affect the rational choice by their manager (keep some players for the CL, limit some other)?

I'm not really sure who they're going to play. But I get the feeling that in the circumstances (the above + Arteta from our side) We need to be demanding something from them, try to stretch them. Hope Theo keeps his tendency against them, cause he can exploit tired defenders.
Hope to see us pressing, and hope VP's back. It's time.

one of the reasons(outta a couple) that i'm hoping the ox will start over ramsey is that it'll definitely draw a better response from the crowd which will definitely help our lads immensely ala the games against the milan, the yids and city. Also, if chelsea play deep and try to hit us on the counter(as i'm expecting them to), i think the ox and his pace can offer us a better advantage then ramsey can. Not sure what ramsey actually offers us at this point of time considering his current form and definite lack of confidence.

Airknight (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 11:05 pm

Diaby is fit, this game is already won.

with Kos we have a chance of a cleansheet, but the problems attacking will most likely continue, Di Matteo would go the easy way and park the bus, making Theo Walcott once again pointless so this game is pretty much for Gervinho/Ox to win.

dysphoria (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Airknight wrote:Diaby is fit, this game is already won.

with Kos we have a chance of a cleansheet, but the problems attacking will most likely continue, Di Matteo would go the easy way and park the bus, making Theo Walcott once again pointless so this game is pretty much for Gervinho/Ox to win.

hopefully theo has a right go in the channel that exists between terry and bosigwa(i'm assuming terry will be the right sided CB), if rvp drops a lil deeper and picks him out, he'll definitely find himself clean through.

yuvken (Elite Member) on April 18th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Ox for Ramsey? what team do you see there (Art's out)? Song, Rosicky, OX?
Or you mean left flank?

For all of Ramsey flaws, at least if we do opt to press them, he's one of the best we've got at that. And somehow the Ox I see recently doesn't make me want to gamble he can show Messi how to do it (but secretly, I'm desperate to be proved wrong here :) ).

I don't know - I don't have a clear picture of this game yet. Just know it's huge - the last big game we have this year (even though later ones can prove more decisive). I really hope to see a team that is ready for just that. Lately (though it's not 100%) when they show up - I really trust the. Chelsea will not change that.

kopzilla (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 11:49 pm

yuvken wrote:Ox for Ramsey? what team do you see there (Art's out)? Song, Rosicky, OX?
Or you mean left flank?

For all of Ramsey flaws, at least if we do opt to press them, he's one of the best we've got at that. And somehow the Ox I see recently doesn't make me want to gamble he can show Messi how to do it (but secretly, I'm desperate to be proved wrong here :) ).

I don't know - I don't have a clear picture of this game yet. Just know it's huge - the last big game we have this year (even though later ones can prove more decisive). I really hope to see a team that is ready for just that. Lately (though it's not 100%) when they show up - I really trust the. Chelsea will not change that.

I think the same team which played against Milan would be great.

Its best to start with Gervinho than to bring him on as a sub.

How about Gibbs at LB and Santos at LW?

Vela (Forum Member) on April 18th, 2012, 11:54 pm

John Cross ‏ @johncrossmirror
Meanwhile, RDM hints he will bring in 'fresh faces' to play Arsenal on Sat. Can you risk gambling on 4th place to save players for Nou Camp?

Aaron Ramsey is expected to come in for Arteta alongside Alex Song, with Tomas Rosicky continuing in the No10 role and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain or Gervinho starting on the left. Wenger has to hope that Diaby will be fit enough for the substitutes' bench or his options will be restricted in a game that he described as "massive and vital".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... sfeed=true

--------------Szczesny-----------
Sagna----Kos---------Verm------Gibbs/Santos (Hope AW picks Gibbs)
-----------Song-----Ramsey
Walcott-------Rosicky------Gervinho/Chamberlain (Hope the AOC)
--------------van Persie

Bench - Fabianski, Djourou, Diaby, Gibbs/Santos, Gervinho/AOC, Chamakh, Jenkinson/Park/Squillaci

dysphoria (Forum Member) on April 19th, 2012, 12:02 am

yuvken wrote:Ox for Ramsey? what team do you see there (Art's out)? Song, Rosicky, OX?
Or you mean left flank?

yep, song, rozza and ox in the center with gervinho and theo down the flanks. Song MUST sit deep and stay deep and work his bollocks off alongside rozza who lately has showed very good work rate for us. We need to press them and even though ramsey does try, he isn't physical enough to win his share of tackles nor has he showed enough confidence or sharpness to spot a gap and release the ball fast enough, i feel this will be very detrimental for us because it'll allow the chavs to get back into shape which will ultimately break down potential moves for us. As suspect as the ox might be defensively(i really don't think he is), he's capable and confident enough of spotting a pass or taking it on by himself to surge forward, if recent games are anything to go by on, we'll probably see rvp dropping deeper into midfield to retrieve the ball and when that happens, with gervais, theo, ox and rozza all being capable of making runs, we can exploit any spaces they might leave us.

GG8 (Forum Member) on April 19th, 2012, 12:37 am

I actually see positives from tonights game in reltion to our fixture:

The extra 48 hours rest, the amount of effort expelled, both physically and mentally, chasing Barca shadows for 90 minutes and the fact that Chelsea are still in with a chance of getting through to the next round.

The concerns I have for saturday are Chaill maybe trying to prove a point to AW for not loosening the purse-strings and Torres and Sturridge trying to make a case for starting the return leg at Camp Nou.

Still confident of a win, positive we will at least get a draw and would be highly surprised if we were to lose this one.

Vela (Forum Member) on April 19th, 2012, 12:41 am

Essien, Malouda, Bosingwa, Torres, Kalou and Sturridge all could start depends how many Chelsea rest for the Barca second-leg.

Beksl (Forum Member) on April 19th, 2012, 12:53 am

Their second string players are way better then ours.

yuvken (Elite Member) on April 19th, 2012, 1:41 am

I hope they have this bright idea they need to rest Mata altogether, and perhaps Drogba.
Their real chance might be a temptation to do stuff like that. Their second string might be better, but I'd still feel better than playing some of their first choice.

I'd be very surprised if Wenger played with a Milan like team. Song, Ramsey, Rosicky (Abu bench?) Theo, Gerv (Ox). If he'll actually start Ox on the left I'd be less surprised (but still I don't expect it).

How are we going to hold it together without Arteta is my biggest worry for this game.

Shadow Moses (Forum Member) on April 19th, 2012, 2:00 am

Or you mean left flank?

Dunno what Ramsey you've been watching but the one currently playing in our midfeild does nothing but a casual jog backwards while ball watching. Just rewatch the Wigan game for prove. This is the return of Denilson.

Rain Dance (Forum Member) on April 19th, 2012, 3:29 am

I don't like this.
The air smells of overconfidence, from our previous encounter with the Chavs, while this is a brand new ball game (yes Ant this cliche can go to "horrendous cliche" thread)

perspolis (Forum Member) on April 19th, 2012, 4:27 am

tough match... and with that stupid childish irresponsible home loss against Wigan then Emirates is not much a fortress anymore is it?

i think today the rain did 60% of the work for Chel$ea... and Barca really messed up defensively on that one... on a normal day they can easily put 3-4 past them...

anyhow... their tired legs will come to haunt them toward the end of the game and they'll have an eye on the return leg which means more cautious play...

hoping for a draw!
Previous Next

tracker