Uefa Champions League 2011/12

1macca1 (Trusted Member) on July 27th, 2011, 12:27 pm

The final is on the 19th May 2012 at Bayern München and 1860 München's Allianz Arena (However for this occasion must be called Fußbal-Arena München as UEFA does not allow sponsorship by companies that are not among its partner organisations).

Teams already qualified:

Barcelona, Milan, Marseille, Porto, Manchester United, Internazionale, Zenit St. Petersburg, Ajax, Chelsea, Napoli, CSKA Moscow, Fenerbahçe, Manchester City, Borussia Dortmund, Shakhtar Donetsk, Olympiacos, Real Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen, Oţelul Galaţi, Basel, Valencia, Lille.

The third-qualifying round is currently in progress, we are in the next stage (Play-off round), which is in two groups; League Route, and Champions Route.

The other teams already in the Play-Off round are:
Bayern München
Udinese
Lyon
Villarreal

Udinese are the only unseeded side already in the Play-Off round meaning we can draw them in the next round along with the winners of the ties in the League Route section of the third qualifying round:
Benfica – Trabzonspor
Dynamo Kyiv – Rubin Kazan
Panathinaikos – Odense
Twente – Vaslui
Standard Liège – Zürich
(note: one of these winners will become a seeded side that we can't draw)

The other five teams that will enter for the Uefa Champions League 11/12 group stage come from the Champions Route:
Litex Lovech - Wisła Kraków
Maccabi Haifa - Maribor
HJK Helsinki - Dinamo Zagreb
APOEL - Slovan Bratislava
Copenhagen - Shamrock Rovers
Genk - Partizan
Rosenborg - Viktoria Plzeň
Zestafoni - Sturm Graz
Ekranas - BATE Borisov
Rangers - Malmö FF

The draw for the Play off round is on the 5th of August.

More details can be found at UEFA.com

Kagawa23 (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 12:38 pm

1macca1-san, thanks for opening this thread.

Then, we might play against Benfica or Twente at the play-off round? They can be a bit tough for us because we are not looking good in pre season matches :roll:

alboots101 (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 12:43 pm

Ignore the friendlies Kagsie, I wouldn`t worry too much about Twente but Benfica could be a problem in Portugal if we draw them.

block6gooner (Lobby Member) on July 27th, 2011, 12:43 pm

I really couldn't care if we didnt' get into the group stages. We won't win it anyway. I can see three good things not qualifying. It'll help us get in the top 4 this season which i doubt we will if we have the European games and if we don't qualify it could be the wake up call the club needs to actually go out and spend some fvcking money. The Europa league could also be a good tournament to have for the fringe players. Use it like the league cup.

alboots101 (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 12:48 pm

block6gooner wrote:I really couldn't care if we didnt' get into the group stages. We won't win it anyway. I can see three good things not qualifying. It'll help us get in the top 4 this season which i doubt we will if we have the European games and if we don't qualify it could be the wake up call the club needs to actually go out and spend some fvcking money. The Europa league could also be a good tournament to have for the fringe players. Use it like the league cup.

I understand your sentiments block6 but if we dont qualify it`ll be another big stick for the media and opposing fans to beat us with.

On the Europa league thing, yep it could provide a lot of experience to the younger members of the squad.

David Smith (Lobby Member) on July 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm

No.. we need to get as far as possible in the tournament. Otherwise we won't be attracting players, and we'll be losing money.

luckyfrank (Lobby Member) on July 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Rosenborg could be tricky if we get them, in fairness i dont fear any of those sides, arsenal's women team could beat most of those sides

block6gooner (Lobby Member) on July 27th, 2011, 12:54 pm

David Smith wrote:No.. we need to get as far as possible in the tournament. Otherwise we won't be attracting players, and we'll be losing money.

We dont attract top players anyway though as far as I can see. Depending on a persons view of a "top player". As for losing money... we don't spend any of it so why make it?

Tell you what, if we didn't qualify but won the title I'd take that.

Kagawa23 (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 12:58 pm

alboots101 wrote:Ignore the friendlies Kagsie, I wouldn`t worry too much about Twente but Benfica could be a problem in Portugal if we draw them.

Kagsie? It's me? I like it :lol: I remember someone here used to call me Kaggy, it was you?. I remember Russian top 3 clubs are very rich and relatively strong even though the league itself is not competitive, so Russian clubs also can be a bit tough opponents for us. I'm too pessimistic :roll: ?

alboots101 (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 1:08 pm

luckyfrank wrote:Rosenborg could be tricky if we get them, in fairness i dont fear any of those sides, arsenal's women team could beat most of those sides

frank baby, good to see you.

alboots101 (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Kagawa23 wrote:
alboots101 wrote:Ignore the friendlies Kagsie, I wouldn`t worry too much about Twente but Benfica could be a problem in Portugal if we draw them.

Kagsie? It's me? I like it :lol: I remember someone here used to call me Kaggy, it was you?. I remember Russian top 3 clubs are very rich and relatively strong even though the league itself is not competitive, so Russian clubs also can be a bit tough opponents for us. I'm too pessimistic :roll: ?

Twas indeed me Kagsie..;)

Chigmeister (Lobby Member) on July 27th, 2011, 1:41 pm

i believe arsenal will make it to the group stages. But I'm with Block6 here. I think you'll have to give up the CL to make sure you do well in the league. Advancing COULD be to you detriment.

yosifun (Lobby Member) on July 27th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Udinese and Benfica are the best out of the teams we could face, could give us a hard time in the away game, but there's no reason why we should beat them.

Of course the EPL title is more important to us than the CL, but it doesn't mean the team shouldn't give their best efforts to get as far as possible. No one will be disappointed if we pull off a Liverpool, but it's unlikely.

NIPOLOPO (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 1:52 pm

In cup competitions you never know what might happen, with a bit of help from lady luck we might go all the way. I rather we be in CL than on channel 5 every other Thursday.

benbjo (Lobby Member) on July 27th, 2011, 2:04 pm

If we encounter Udinese or Benfica I think we might be out.

alboots101 (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 2:06 pm

benbjo wrote:If we encounter Udinese or Benfica I think we might be out.

We usually do well against Italian clubs.

1macca1 (Trusted Member) on July 27th, 2011, 2:18 pm

Udinese have lost Zapata, Inler and Sanchez, wouldn't mind getting them myself.

WengerFaithful (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 2:22 pm

block6gooner wrote:I really couldn't care if we didnt' get into the group stages. We won't win it anyway. I can see three good things not qualifying. It'll help us get in the top 4 this season which i doubt we will if we have the European games and if we don't qualify it could be the wake up call the club needs to actually go out and spend some fvcking money. The Europa league could also be a good tournament to have for the fringe players. Use it like the league cup.

You make no sense you wouldnt mind going out of Europe so the team can concentrate on getting back into Europe :bash

block6gooner (Lobby Member) on July 27th, 2011, 3:00 pm

WengerFaithful wrote:

You make no sense you wouldnt mind going out of Europe so the team can concentrate on getting back into Europe :bash

your the only person not to understand what I wrote. Are you not English or just a thicko? both probably

So all i said was i don't want us to qualify so we can qualify next season?

Pitaboy (Lobby Member) on July 27th, 2011, 3:25 pm

We can't meet Benfica?

"The five clubs with the best coefficients will be seeded and drawn against the other five clubs reaching this stage from the third qualifying round."

Benfica has 81.319 points, and will be top 5 (and seeded) if they beat Trabzonspor.

Jbruin (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 9:18 pm

Oh my good God, Thiago just scored an absolute gem of a goal against Bayern.

Not Champions League but European football still.

Auxiliary Priest (Lobby Member) on July 27th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Jbruin, who would you like to see win the CL?

THunter (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 9:26 pm

If Cesc goes we best get him along with aload of money. What a player.

Jbruin (Forum Member) on July 27th, 2011, 9:30 pm

Auxiliary Priest wrote:Jbruin, who would you like to see win the CL?

Malmo or Genk.

ebouenolike (Trusted Member) on July 28th, 2011, 7:05 am

benbjo wrote:If we encounter Udinese or Benfica I think we might be out.

First of all, you're an embarrassing wum.

Second of all, if we can't beat bloody Udinese or Benfica we might as well pack it in.

ze_gooner (Lobby Member) on July 28th, 2011, 8:53 am

benfica is a poor version of porto, we've been whooping porto for ages, we're talking about 4-1s and 5-0s lol as for udinese, who do they have? they'll be more than happy to get into europa league

benbjo (Lobby Member) on July 28th, 2011, 10:07 am

Some of you seem to have forgotten how poor Arsenal football club have been lately. Pre-season has not exactly been uplifting either, however the Emirates Cup will possibly give us a better picture of how things stand.

Also, losing Cesc will be a major blow to the moral and belief in the players.

Chigmeister (Lobby Member) on July 28th, 2011, 3:30 pm

What's the emirates cup.

Rami88 (Lobby Member) on July 28th, 2011, 3:34 pm

If we draw Benfica will the friendly on the 6th of August still go ahead?

Keanos Tunnel (Lobby Member) on July 28th, 2011, 4:48 pm

My local team, Shamrock Rovers are playing in their first ever Champions League this season. They did play in the old European Cup a number of times though. They've made it through to the 3rd qualifying round now where they're 1-0 down to FC Copenhagen after the first leg played in Denmark. We are more than capable of springing a surprise in our back yard which will be packed to the rafters next week.

COME ON HOOPS!
Next

Options

tracker