Aston Villa's Manager Situation

Clrnc (Trusted Member) on June 11th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Coyle just went to Bolton, he won't leave.

Stevo the Villan (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 2:13 am

The general has finally reemerged on our boards.
He's been understandably quiet over the past couple of weeks.
I'd usually say that indicates an appointment is near, but his last sentence suggests it could be 2 weeks away.

Either way, it's a much needed dig at the "I want it and I want it now" attitude a lot of our fans seem to have.

The General wrote:As everyone can see, I have kept a low profile over the past week...because there are times when it is just best to let things play out. A week or so ago some Fans and the Press were going crazy over what was going to happen re. GH. At that time I tried to make it clear that The Club was NOT going to conduct business in the media....that it wasn't fair to GH nor was it fair to the Club. We all acted in a professional manner and business was taken care of. Now we have the old complaint of "dithering"...as if choosing and obtaining a Manager was a simple as going to M&S and ordering up a Balti Pie. I am not sure where our "expert Fans" get their information on how to go about picking a Manager in a week...but I would sure like to know. A great many things go into the equation....advice from people in the "business", discussions with agents and people with access, research on everything from record of success (history) to connectivity with the players in the dressing room to effective use of personnel to compatability with Owner and people at the Club, to many, many, other things. To some fans it seems like just a simple act....and more importantly, a "signal" about something called "ambition." As if one Manager sends a bigger "ambition" signal than another....forget about whether that Manager "fits" with the Club. I have said it once and I will say it again...we will NOT conduct business in the media...we will NOT react to the nonsense that is printed in the media...and we will NOT seek a Manager who simply gets a thumbs-up from the Fans. We will get the very best man for the job...in our opinion and in the opinion of those who assist in the decision process. Once we get our man, we will give him all the support he needs. Randy has NEVER failed to support his Manager. I know it is a waste of my time to ask for patience and calmness over the next week or two...BUT, be patient...it will get done.

The Escaped Ape (Trusted Member) on June 12th, 2011, 4:07 am

Intriguing to say the least who "The General" is. He makes out like he's on the Villa board or something. Can't imagine Hill-Wood posting down here...

Stevo the Villan (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 11:49 am

Yeh sorry, I didn't explain who the general is. He's General Charles Krulak. An American army vet who now sits on our board of directors.

The Escaped Ape (Trusted Member) on June 12th, 2011, 11:55 am

Thanks. That must make your boards a lot more interesting. It's either an act of genius, actually connecting directly with the fans, or of lunacy, actually connecting directly with the fans...

Beksl (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 11:56 am

Found an article about him, would love to have someone with inside knowledge like that here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/dec/23/newsstory.sport1

Stevo the Villan (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 1:30 pm

He doesn't give much away to be fair. But it's great to have someone high up speaking directly to the fans. It means if we all disagree with something he has first hand experience of how we feel.

For example, a couple of years back some right spark at Villa Park decided it would be a good idea to do that small time thing of playing the Fruitellis over the PA system when villa score.

Everyone hated it. They made their feelings known to the General who said he'd sort it out, and the music was stopped.

It's a small thing, but it's a good thing.

He does get a lot of unwarranted abuse though. Its embarrassing.

fabo (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Haha, playing music after a goal is absolutely cringeworthy. That's the sort of thing Wigan, Boro have to do to create an atmosphere.

Stevo the Villan (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Exactly. That's why we all hated it. Luckily it only happened in one game and then the General stopped it

Shue (Elite Member) on June 12th, 2011, 4:38 pm

@guardian_sport Guardian sport
Football: Unconfirmed reports that Alex McLeish has quit Birmingham City. Is he off to Aston Villa?

Stevo the Villan (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Shue (Elite Member) on June 12th, 2011, 4:44 pm

Thought you'd like that, haha

Sorry!

Shue (Elite Member) on June 12th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Stevo the Villan (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 4:49 pm

We better not ******* appoint McCleish.

Hopefully he's off to Everton to replace Moyes...

Vela (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 4:50 pm

If we goes there, you know Aston Villa going to sign Larsson on a free. And go for the likes of Dann etc.

Stevo the Villan (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 5:01 pm

If we appoint McLeish, I may very well charge through Birmingham on a Godzilla style rampage, destroying everything in my sight

DK Gooner (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 5:07 pm

I can't imagine for one second that Villa will move for McLeish. I think he would be about as popular as Avram Grant or Sven.

Villa have done pretty well from their youth system in recent seasons and I reckon that they would want someone who would be open to giving the best of them opportunities, while being shrewd enough in the transfer market with the level of funds likely to be available and has some previous experience of managing in the PL. Doesn't leave many candidates, but Martinez would have fitted the bill as would Moyes IMO.

I think it is sensible that Villa are waiting on options. Martinez turned them down and there doesn't seem to be any easy moves out there for the moment i.e. unattached managers or disgruntled ones which could pave the way for easy negotiations. Gianfrano Zola might be someone worth taking a punt on after his unceremonious dumping by the Gold & Sullivan circus.

GDeep (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 6:01 pm

McLeish to Cardiff maybe? Dont see him going to Villa.

Y va marquer (Elite Member) on June 12th, 2011, 6:30 pm

Commiserations to you Stevo if you guys end up with that treacherous creep McLeish

DJ_Markstar (Forum Member) on June 12th, 2011, 8:25 pm

Stevo the Villan wrote:If we appoint McLeish, I may very well charge through Birmingham on a Godzilla style rampage, destroying everything in my sight

You couldn't just take a quick detour to Old Trafford on your way, could you?

Stevo the Villan (Forum Member) on June 13th, 2011, 12:04 am

I know for a fact that Randy flies into Birmingham tomorrow.

What isn't a fact are the rumours on twitter from merseyside that Moyes has resigned.

Could be an interesting Monday

arsenallegends (Forum Member) on June 13th, 2011, 12:16 am

musical chairs=modern football.

DJ_Markstar (Forum Member) on June 13th, 2011, 12:29 am

arsenallegends wrote:musical chairs=modern football.

One manager is removed every time you stop the music until only two managers remain?

I spose it's better than the game of no-so-musical statues that gets played at The Emirates most home games.

arsenallegends (Forum Member) on June 13th, 2011, 1:12 am

hehe not the best analogy if taken that literally but I feel like managers and players are jumping positions to the tune of business before the seat is even warm ;).

albakos (Trusted Member) on June 13th, 2011, 8:48 am

I doubt the ginger **** will go to Villa. Brum may as well put him on "gardening leave".

With the young players that Villa have coming through the ranks, it wouldn't surprise me if Villa make an odd manager signing like Rijkaard or Koeman or even Holloway.

GDeep (Forum Member) on June 13th, 2011, 6:22 pm

Well, according to Sky Sports News, Villa have been in touch with Birmingham to discuss compensation for McLeish. Also, pretty interesting that Stevo mentioned a couple of days ago that Lerner caught a flight to Corsica because that's exactly where McLeish has been holidaying.

Armor for Sleep (Elite Member) on June 13th, 2011, 7:56 pm

Ouch!

Stevo the Villan (Forum Member) on June 13th, 2011, 9:30 pm

What the reports say (and they'r eonly based on sky sources") is that we've been in touch with Birmingham purely to ask what the situation is.

Not about compensation or anything, purely to ask if McLeish was still their employee. They responded that he was. End of story.

I think (and hope) it's all bollocks though. Randy wouldn't be that stupid.

alboots101 (Forum Member) on June 13th, 2011, 9:36 pm

teehee.

Lord Dula (Elite Member) on June 13th, 2011, 9:37 pm

lol, id go nuts if i was a villa fan. geezus christ. big eck lol
Previous Next

Options

tracker