Luis Suarez banned for 8 games

General (Forum Member) on December 20th, 2011, 10:54 pm

mavelous (Trusted Member) on December 20th, 2011, 10:56 pm

Could anyone tell me what exactly he's alleged to have said? what's all this about it meaning something else in Uruguay?

mistaT (Trusted Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:03 pm

He's reported to have called Evra a 'Negrito' multiple times during the game.

My understanding is that 'Negrito' means 'little black man' as its based off 'negro' for 'black man'. The word carries mixed connotations in South America where it has been claimed not to be offensive, however Evra and the FA were obviously not accepting of that.

Interesting that Wikipedia defines Negritos as an Asian ethnic group:

Negritos share some common physical features with African pygmy populations, including short stature, natural afro-hair texture, and dark skin; however, their origin and the route of their migration to Asia is still a matter of great speculation. They are the most genetically distant human population from Africans at most loci studied thus far (except for MC1R, which codes for dark skin).

Suarez needs a crafty lawyer

Airknight (Forum Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:06 pm

in Spanish language, there is no "nig***" word.. it's all up to the connotation of the word "negro" (black) or context where you use the word.. of course if you accompany the word with some insults, the word can be perfectly translated to "nig***" .. But the word negro by itself can take both meanings.

On a football match, it's obvious the main reason Suarez would say something like that is to provoke his rival, so for me the ban is justified.

Herbas (Forum Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:17 pm

I wonder if he'll get an additional ban for this:

clockwork orange (Elite Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:21 pm

He'll. Maybe he can still play a few matches at the end of the season. :)

qs (Elite Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:33 pm

mistaT wrote:He's reported to have called Evra a 'Negrito' multiple times during the game.

No he's not reported to have called him "negrito". Suarez and Liverpool said weeks ago he called him that. Since then they've changed their story to say he called him "negro" and Evra is saying its worse than that.

Whatever way he said it his intent for the use of the word is obvious. The 2 were at each others throats all game and I can remeber clear as day during it I said to my girlfriend "its not like Evra to get wound up like that, he's used to playing those dirty games", at the time I meant just the constant little kicks and words you always see, as well as Suarez constantly trying to get Evra sent off. Its pretty clear now what it that actually pushed Evra over the edge.

The fact Suarez has admitted he said something that at least sounds like "******" and has backtracked his story from "negrito" to "negro" seems to make it pretty obvious he said something racial and he did it as an insult.

If anyone thinks this is a harsh punishment I suggest the next time you're at the emirates you scream "negro" or "negrito" from the stands every time a black opposition player has the ball and see if you're let back into a game in 8 weeks time.

kalleTheMan (Trusted Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:40 pm

The support Suarez is getting from Pool supporters is disgusting. Put into context what he said can only be interpreted as having racist connotations. Their official statement was a joke as well.

arsenallegends (Forum Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:41 pm

:lol: JUSTICE! bring out the glove warmers for Anfield's new hero.

kalleTheMan (Trusted Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:42 pm

Suarez should get a couple of additonal games for that gesture and Terry deserves at least 8 games as well.

air (Forum Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:44 pm

Liverpool statement: "Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black ... He has played with black players and mixed with their families"

Uh, didn't all parties agree that he used a certain word? So what is this? Reasons why he should be allowed to say it?

mo50 (Elite Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:46 pm

kalleTheMan wrote:Suarez should get a couple of additonal games for that gesture and Terry deserves at least 8 games as well.

Yup, Terry's defence is also weaker. He's got no cultural excuse to hide behind. He's being investigated by the police though, so his case will take longer.

Gooner_Stu (Forum Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:46 pm

Glad the FA did what they have done. 8 Matches is pretty consistant with previous bans, John Mackie was banned for 8 games when he racially abused Carl Asaba in 2002. It was 8 games then, although 5 of those were part of a suspended sentance.

I said in another thread, if Liverpool have any issue with this, it should be with Suarez. He said the words and got banned for it. Say what you like about Evra as a player/person, he didnt put the words in Suarez's mouth to say. 8 games is justified and if it was one of our players saying (and being proven to say) then I'd like to think I would still accept the bans length.

Terry still has his case to answer for, so call that 8 games (they cant lower it after this, can they?) and the CPS has been collecting evidence for a court trial too.

Oh and if I was liverpool, I really wouldnt be making too many tweets/comments on the matter..

"Very disappointed with today's verdict. This is the time when @luis16suarez needs our full support. Let's not let him walk alone. KD" - Kenny Dalglish

Last edited by Gooner_Stu on December 20th, 2011, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mavelous (Trusted Member) on December 20th, 2011, 11:49 pm

But it apparently doesn't have racial connotations in Uruguay and/or South America. Then again, i don't know how long he's known English, or whatever he's learned during his time in Europe regarding verbal etiquette.

kalleTheMan (Trusted Member) on December 21st, 2011, 12:34 am

Don't think the word got racist connotations per say, but if it's used in an insultive way in a heated argument it can only be interpreted one way, doesn't matter what country your from really.

mistaT (Trusted Member) on December 21st, 2011, 12:46 am

qs wrote:
mistaT wrote:He's reported to have called Evra a 'Negrito' multiple times during the game.

No he's not reported to have called him "negrito". Suarez and Liverpool said weeks ago he called him that. Since then they've changed their story to say he called him "negro" and Evra is saying its worse than that.

The fact Suarez has admitted he said something that at least sounds like "******" and has backtracked his story from "negrito" to "negro" seems to make it pretty obvious he said something racial and he did it as an insult.

Well explained, thanks for the details.

Regardless, its clear Suarez has some serious character issues.

DJ_Markstar (Forum Member) on December 21st, 2011, 2:07 am

Gonna go against the grain here. This is a ridiculous verdict based on opinion, hear'say and not hard fact - given that only Evra alleges what happened (unless I missed the bit where they caught him on camera, and can prove his intent) the FA have set a very dangerous precedent. I'm also of the opinion that if the tables were turned and Evra racially abused Suarez, no one would give a ****.

Good news for us though.

Irish_Owen (Elite Member) on December 21st, 2011, 2:10 am

Karma's a bitch

Aint it, Suarez?

;)

RUS arsenal (Forum Member) on December 21st, 2011, 2:19 am

mavelous wrote:But it apparently doesn't have racial connotations in Uruguay and/or South America. Then again, i don't know how long he's known English, or whatever he's learned during his time in Europe regarding verbal etiquette.

Seems Suarez used the word with intent in this case so I guess the ban is justified though probably too long based on how other actions on the field are punished; however, it could easily be true that the word in South America doesn't have any racial meaning. For example in Russia, the word "negr," the Russian analog for "negro," is considered the polite way to refer to a person of African background with dark skin, while the word that in translation means "black" actually carries an offensive intent. It stems from the fact that in the old days serfs (essentially slaves) were referred to as "black" people (their skin was white mind you).

Bossa (Forum Member) on December 21st, 2011, 2:25 am

I wonder what kind of ban Terry will get for saying effin black c*nt. Probably nothing since he's England captain fantstic.

mo50 (Elite Member) on December 21st, 2011, 2:28 am

Terry will get a similar ban, if not heavier ban. Hell, the metropolitan police are investigating him. Terry's in deep trouble, the FA have just set a precedent for racial abuse and there is no way in their right mind they'd give Terry a lighter sentence.

SomGooner (Forum Member) on December 21st, 2011, 2:45 am

I wouldn't mind seeing all three of them (Suarez, Terry and Evra) get trampled by a herd of African elephants.

AFC-Phil (Elite Member) on December 21st, 2011, 2:48 am

:lol: I have **** all sympathy with him. He's Busquets like in his cheating, and if this is proven to have happened, he's went above Busquets IMO. I hope he appeals and gets an extension on his ban, it couldn't happen to a more fitting human being.

The Jury (Forum Member) on December 21st, 2011, 2:55 am

Thing is, all the FA had to go on was the ambiguous admission from Suarez, which has gone against him rather than for him; after all, Suarez could easily have denied he said anything at all, and had the FA in a blind panic.

Whether Suarez truly meant the term in a derogatory way, we'll never know. But what we DO know now however, is that telling the truth doesn't pay.

Oh, and Liverpool are Fcked. :mrgreen:

MDGoonah41 (Forum Member) on December 21st, 2011, 3:20 am

I think Suarez is a scumbag, and hes easily one of my least favorite players in the league. I have no idea what he should have received as punishment, but this is fine by me.

qs (Elite Member) on December 21st, 2011, 3:39 am

The Jury wrote:Thing is, all the FA had to go on was the ambiguous admission from Suarez, which has gone against him rather than for him; after all, Suarez could easily have denied he said anything at all, and had the FA in a blind panic.

Whether Suarez truly meant the term in a derogatory way, we'll never know. But what we DO know now however, is that telling the truth doesn't pay.

Oh, and Liverpool are Fcked. :mrgreen:

The FA haven't revealed how they came to this verdict yet but they will soon and I can't see them having made this decision with no evidence. And again if there was no evidence I don't think Liverpool would have came out early with the "negrito" and then later the "negro" stories. They released those statements at a time when the FA had asked both clubs not to comment publicly. That always seemed to me like Liverpool trying to control the story early, it was the sort of move politicians make, they call it getting out in front of the story.

The Jury (Forum Member) on December 21st, 2011, 3:47 am

I hope there's more to it to tell the truth, but wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't.

I wish they'd just make this specific allegation a criminal case for the law to sort out in future - then the FA can act on police findings, meaning the guilty man gets the full punishment, and not just a fully paid holiday from his job.

been (Forum Member) on December 21st, 2011, 4:34 am

hoping he gets more for the gesture at fulham

this is the time we need to be ruthless and not drop points

General (Forum Member) on December 21st, 2011, 6:43 am

Last edited by General on December 21st, 2011, 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quattro (Forum Member) on December 21st, 2011, 7:30 am

bottomline: liverpool are f*cked
Next

Options

tracker