Theo Walcott

Grampus_Eight (Trusted Member) on February 1st, 2007, 5:21 am

He needs to play as a striker. He is going against his instincts and since his crosses aren't working, he should get a chance to do what he does best. Score goals...

Christofaux (Forum Member) on February 1st, 2007, 5:26 am

Then he should be the New Old Freddy,

just dont burn out like freddy has.

He can take the ball from the wing and bring it in for shots, no one says he has to cross it every time. I havent seen a decent shot on target in some time.

DOUBLE-YOU (Forum Member) on February 1st, 2007, 3:52 pm

i think the most disappointing thing for Theo over the last 2 games against spuds, is that his replacements (i.e eboue and rosicky) have made the difference. They have shown the standard Theo needs to attain consistently.

In saying that, it's hard to make judgements because 1) Theo is usually the one making a difference when he comes on as a substitute. and 2)Rosicky done more in those few minutes against spurs than he has done in the last 3 matches.

RocktheCasbah (Elite Member) on February 1st, 2007, 3:57 pm

I think conditions are maybe not great for Theo at the moment. His best use this season has been as an impact substitute and he's been able to come on and run at tired defenders- now, due to injuries he's starting every week at the moment and being expected to have the same impact as he's made in his cameos. Also, at the moment, I feel he lacks the skill and strength to get past a defender tight on the touchline whilst dribbling- he needs to given balls to run onto to best utitlise that pace. I'm sure though that he is learning with each game, he's got a good head on his shoulders and his decision making, which isn't the best atm, can only improve.

stiiphunn (Trusted Member) on February 1st, 2007, 4:17 pm

Grampus_Eight wrote:He needs to play as a striker. He is going against his instincts and since his crosses aren't working, he should get a chance to do what he does best. Score goals...

I think he needs to keep playing in a wide position. It highlights the points he has to work on and forces him to improve every week.
He's got pace, that's one thing, but he's not so good when it comes to running with the ball and going past players. Putting him on the right is doing him so good, even though at the moment he's stuggling.
Cisse for example has always played as a striker and I'm sure it could have helped him if he had played on the wing in his youth. His control and dribbling skills would have been way better. When Benitez put him on the right last season, you could defintly see many flaws in his game - i.e lack of technique.

It'll be hard for Theo but I'm sure he'll thank Wenger in a few years.

Lukazan (Elite Member) on February 1st, 2007, 7:44 pm

RocktheCasbah wrote:I think conditions are maybe not great for Theo at the moment. His best use this season has been as an impact substitute and he's been able to come on and run at tired defenders- now, due to injuries he's starting every week at the moment and being expected to have the same impact as he's made in his cameos. Also, at the moment, I feel he lacks the skill and strength to get past a defender tight on the touchline whilst dribbling- he needs to given balls to run onto to best utitlise that pace. I'm sure though that he is learning with each game, he's got a good head on his shoulders and his decision making, which isn't the best atm, can only improve.

Yeah, and let's face it, he's got everyone's support. He'd probably have to murder Thierry Henry before the crowd would throw any hostility his way... except Sabre and Yuiebefeon-thingy-person, who'd whoop in sheer delight.

M+D (Trusted Member) on February 1st, 2007, 8:00 pm

I think I may have stumbled across a theory about his recent downfall of form. At the start of the season he was almost always playing on the left, as Rosicky was out for about a month and could never manage whole games.
On the left he was always able to cut inside and face the play, using his quick feet and drove towards goal frequently. Just like Henry does, who also didn't feel that comfortable on the right wing (I presume, not know) when he was young for probably the same reason. On the right wing he has to head down the line, and to do that you need to be an out and out winger, whereas to play on the left wing when you're right footed, you have to cut inside and go through the middle, just like strikers do. Which is his proper position.

Clrnc (Trusted Member) on February 2nd, 2007, 2:54 pm

if he cant even manage to beat players on the flank, then forget about being a forward. unless he score a goal that brings back his confidence, we will never see the real theo. i am afraid he might be the owen that everybody said before.

his finishing are wayward at the moment. he isnt confident and calm in front of goals. instead of taking a touch, he always tries to volley it blablabla. he need a spark, and maybe we can help by cheering his name more often.

YuenBiaoFan (Trusted Member) on February 2nd, 2007, 2:58 pm

Merida+Denilson wrote:I think I may have stumbled across a theory about his recent downfall of form. At the start of the season he was almost always playing on the left, as Rosicky was out for about a month and could never manage whole games.
On the left he was always able to cut inside and face the play, using his quick feet and drove towards goal frequently. Just like Henry does, who also didn't feel that comfortable on the right wing (I presume, not know) when he was young for probably the same reason. On the right wing he has to head down the line, and to do that you need to be an out and out winger, whereas to play on the left wing when you're right footed, you have to cut inside and go through the middle, just like strikers do. Which is his proper position.

Don't give up yer day job matey.

YuenBiaoFan (Trusted Member) on February 2nd, 2007, 3:00 pm

LuKaZaN wrote:Yeah, and let's face it, he's got everyone's support. He'd probably have to murder Thierry Henry before the crowd would throw any hostility his way... except Sabre and Yuiebefeon-thingy-person, who'd whoop in sheer delight.

H'actually, it's YuenBiaoFan or HenryHater as I'm more commmonly known as :D

FYI - ideally Theo shouldn't be starting matches now imo too ;)

Grampus_Eight (Trusted Member) on February 2nd, 2007, 11:08 pm

arsenal_hleb wrote:if he cant even manage to beat players on the flank, then forget about being a forward. unless he score a goal that brings back his confidence, we will never see the real theo. i am afraid he might be the owen that everybody said before.

his finishing are wayward at the moment. he isnt confident and calm in front of goals. instead of taking a touch, he always tries to volley it blablabla. he need a spark, and maybe we can help by cheering his name more often.

???? I don't think a forward necessarily has to have the ability to beat someone on the wing. In fact there are plenty of great forwards, even small and pacey ones that would look out of place on the wing.

For instance, I think Theo is a lot like Mickey Owen and I don't think Owen would have done all that well playing on the right side in a 4-4-2.

Wenger's gamble of playing him on the wing may well be a masterstroke in the long term, but in the short term, I don't think there can be any doubt what position he is more suited to.

He isn't an Aaron Lennon type player - Theo doesn't have that sort of close control and trickiness. I don't think he has anywhere close to as good a first step either, but he has other strengths - the strengths of a forward - what he's best at is running directly at defenders through the middle of the pitch on the break and finishing. He is a natural goalscorer - not a natural winger.

Like I keep saying, Wenger's gamble could end up a masterstroke, or it could end up harming his development and confidence and goal scoring ability in the long run.

Walcott isn't bound to develop like Henry. And as I keep repeating he seems to me to have a lot more in common with a player like Owen than TH14.

lagos (Elite Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 12:53 am

YuenBiaoFan wrote:

Something I actually agree with you on. And Denilson is making Theo look very average right now (I know they don't play in similar positions) he's only a year older but God in 3 games he's already shown more class than Theo has in all the appearances he's had.

He's had too many opportunities for it to be a fluke, The boy isn't ready for a 1st team starting berth

Right now he looks like a Michael Owen replica. He will have to seriously improve his game (he can start with corner practice) 'because I remmember Wenger said our style of football means he couldn't buy Owen

Last edited by lagos on February 3rd, 2007, 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

YuenBiaoFan (Trusted Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 12:57 am

Again, but sitting 3rd in the assits table with 8 last time I checked means he's hardly short of 'class'.

Just the maturity to start games I think, most definitely a player worthy of 'supersub' status for the time being.

lagos (Elite Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 12:59 am

I've said it before I think he's best used as a sub when opponents are tired. Yeah I didn't say he didn't have some class just that when you consider Denilson, age can't always be used as an excuse

Last edited by lagos on February 3rd, 2007, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grampus_Eight (Trusted Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 1:01 am

lagosgooner wrote:
YuenBiaoFan wrote:

Something I actually agree with you on. And Denilson is making Theo look very average right now (I know they don't play in similar positions) he's only a year older but God in 3 games he's already shown more class than Theo has in all the appearances he's had.

He's had too many opportunities for it to be a fluke, The boy isn't ready for a 1st team starting berth

Theo was just about our best player for the month of August and was generally outstanding for the summer and fall. He also played extremely well is other games as a substitute. His assist contribution was really impressive until recently.

Moreover, from what I've seen Theo is consistently real class for the u21 side and is their outstanding attacking player.

So while he's hit a rough patch, he's already shown he can contribute - even as a winger/wide midfielder.

But right now, perhaps giving him a chance to play in his actual position would help.

When Arsène bought Theo, he said we primarily thought of him as a striker in a 4-4-2 and a wide forward in a 4-3-3.

That has changed with the this experiment to make him follow Henry's development path and because he are ridiculously short of wide midfielders and have a lot of strikers.

If Reyes or Pires were still here and the Beast hadn't arrived, perhaps Walcott would have gotten opportunities to play as an out and out striker.

Finally, if he had scored one or both of his volleys in the last couple of matches, the press would be going wild about him, even if his general play was mediocre at best.

YuenBiaoFan (Trusted Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 1:02 am

Which, for 17 at Arsenal FC, is still pretty damned impressive.

lagos (Elite Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 1:10 am

Grampus_Eight wrote:
lagosgooner wrote:
YuenBiaoFan wrote:

Theo was just about our best player for the month of August and was generally outstanding for the summer and fall. He also played extremely well is other games as a substitute. His assist contribution was really impressive until recently.

Moreover, from what I've seen Theo is consistently real class for the u21 side and is their outstanding attacking player.

So while he's hit a rough patch, he's already shown he can contribute - even as a winger/wide midfielder.

But right now, perhaps giving him a chance to play in his actual position would help.

When Arsène bought Theo, he said we primarily thought of him as a striker in a 4-4-2 and a wide forward in a 4-3-3.

That has changed with the this experiment to make him follow Henry's development path and because he are ridiculously short of wide midfielders and have a lot of strikers.

If Reyes or Pires were still here and the Beast hadn't arrived, perhaps Walcott would have gotten opportunities to play as an out and out striker.

Finally, if he had scored one or both of his volleys in the last couple of matches, the press would be going wild about him, even if his general play was mediocre at best.

I've said it before I was impressed watching him play for the u21s, but they are hardly the yardstick for including a player in the Arsenal 1st team. I would rather have him continue his "education" as a sub. He's not a good winger and we have better strikers

My point (as has been shown time and time again) is you are either ready or you are not, I just hate hearing he's only 17. he should either be played as a strriker or he should be used a a sub. we need to amass points and he's not very effective (sometimes he's actually a liability) on the wings.

I as every Arsenal supporterb would like to see Theo come good but if his education comes at the expense of the team, then that's not right. Right now we need points on the table, we should be playing the best players in every position not experimenting.

YuenBiaoFan (Trusted Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 1:23 am

'but if his education comes at the expense of the team, then that's not right.'

Wenger thinks EXACTLY the opposite though I'm afraid.

Go0oner (Lobby Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 2:46 am

Where does he say that?

Alfonso (Elite Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 3:09 am

He doesnt say it, but he thinks it. It is clear when an 18 year old Fabregas was Vieria's replacement last season.

It is clear when he is confident of a 17 year old skinny lad Traore being our 2nd choice left back.

celestis (Global Moderator) on February 3rd, 2007, 7:05 am

Theo can dribble and his running with the ball is exceptional , he was making a difference if anyone remembers of the subs bench , where his dribbling was direct , especially against Micah Richard who he gave a torrid time to.

Walcott has a very high amount of ability but he does not understand the game like Denilson and Fagregas yet, but he will. No one can tell me he lacks technical or natural abitlity but he lacks football understanding . Which is why Wenger is playing him out of position so that he learns how to link , receive the ball with his back turned, its going to take a while but it will be worth it .

tactica442 (Trusted Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 8:08 am

How can prople thinks that Wenger is developing Theo at the expense of the team? Wenger always wants to win games. Some of the views on Theo are nonsenese. Theo will be one of the biggest asset of the team. To develop Theo, the best way is to let him to train and play against players like Clichy, Kolo, Gilberto, Jens on daily basis, and let him feature some Premiership games.

KingReyes (Trusted Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 9:07 am

Considering Wenger's record when it comes to developing youth, I can't be really concerned.

Once again the main problem here, is that he's English and could potentially cost a lot of money. Therefore the expectations are high, not helped along the way by the like of Sven who took him to the World Cup.

What we need is patience, its true that other players his age and a bit younger/older have made much better progress. Players such as Cesc, Djourou, Clichy and now Denilson to name a few have come in and made an impact in some or another. In fairnes ther ehave been games where Theo has made an impact, mainly from the bench however.

The thing is its probably why Arsène brought them in the first place. Because they had the mental capabilities to come and play with confidence.

Theo seems to lack that, he also seems to lack other things the other players have like decision making and movement off the ball. To be fair its been good at times but recently its back to the drawing board.

Wenger always said he had raw talent, now its up to Arsène to bring it out. And as mentioned in my first sentence, if there is one bloke out there that can do it, its Arsène.

tactica442 (Trusted Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 9:26 am

I know Theo had some missed a few arguable sitters agaisnt Sp^ds and Bolton. But he was there to take chances and it's just he didn't hit the ball neatly. Theo now seems to have a sniff about scoring oppotunities and know when to get into the box to get the incoming ball. He is very close to scoring IMO.

YuenBiaoFan (Trusted Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 12:37 pm

Actually he's said it many times before and repeatedly said it this season. Something like,

'You have to play the young players, you have to give them a chance, they have to learn and the club has to pay for it by any points that are dropped as a result'

Yes, here you go - a direct quote from just a week ago:

"You need the strength to stand up because you know that when you put them in the team, they will make mistakes and you will get hammered. You can only pay for their education with points that you lose. Tony Adams at 16 made mistakes. At 30, he hardly made any."

lagos (Elite Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 12:54 pm

Alfonso wrote:
It is clear when he is confident of a 17 year old skinny lad Traore being our 2nd choice left back.

I think he may want to sign Bale

"Wenger was pleased to hear that Bale moved nowhere as he admitted it gives his side a chance of signing the player in the future. "

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... &channel=&

YuenBiaoFan (Trusted Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 12:55 pm

Let mid, left mid.

1970*Gooner (Forum Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 1:01 pm

I feel that Theo should be relegated to a super sub role until he starts scoring goals and gaining in confidence the pressure should be taken off him a little then, its a lot of pressure for one young lad.

>YounGunner< (Forum Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 1:22 pm

YuenBiaoFan wrote:Which, for 17 at Arsenal FC, is still pretty damned impressive.

I would be saying the same if he was some 17 year old that cost 0.5million and came from Guinea-Bissau.

Clrnc (Trusted Member) on February 3rd, 2007, 1:59 pm

lagosgooner wrote:
YuenBiaoFan wrote:

Right now he looks like a Michael Owen replica. He will have to seriously improve his game (he can start with corner practice) 'because I remmember Wenger said our style of football means he couldn't buy Owen

if he is going to become a owen w/o injuries, then i am not worried. but right now his finishing is suspect in opens chances and his confidence is dipping more and more. if i am not wrong owen was better at this age.
Previous Next

Options

tracker

Fatal: Not able to open ./cache/data_global.php