Theo Walcott

>YounGunner< (Forum Member) on February 11th, 2007, 7:48 pm

a waste of money?

stiiphunn (Trusted Member) on February 11th, 2007, 7:52 pm

>YounGunner< wrote:a waste of money?

LoL What kind of answer do you expect?

Too soon to tell anyway. He may be a world class footballer or one of the biggest flops ever. Who can tell?

nazo (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 7:54 pm

He was actually good today. Alot better than his previous games.

jay-d (Forum Member) on February 11th, 2007, 7:57 pm

I'm sure he'll come good. No doubt his confidence has dipped and his performance level has followed. He's 17 and with one of the best teachers in the game. Wenger is crafting him, totally changing his game and what we are seeing now is the negative reaction with that, but once this period is over I believe Theo will flourish as a result and will not have a game based soley on pace but will have many assets to go with it. Wenger is sticking with him for a reason. This time next year we'll see a different Theo.

Grampus_Eight (Trusted Member) on February 11th, 2007, 7:57 pm

Although he was better today, he still wasn't good. Still very out of sorts.

Hard to understand what Denilson has to do to get a game given these performances.

Don't get me wrong, I think Theo will eventually come good, but Neves should have gotten some starts ahead of him and Theo could have come on as a sub.

OR Aliadiere could get a chance on the right, where he looked very dangerous today.

lagos (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 7:57 pm

bluenaz wrote:He was actually good today. Alot better than his previous games.

he was ok, I don't know if good is a term I'll use. but i agree better than previous games

stiiphunn (Trusted Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:02 pm

lagosgooner wrote:
bluenaz wrote:He was actually good today. Alot better than his previous games.

he was ok, I don't know if good is a term I'll use. but i agree better than previous games

Agree- he was ok. Was really sharp in the first 20 minutes, but he disappeared. His understanding with Hoyte is quite poor unfortunately.

Rohit (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:05 pm

Not every 17 year old is a Fabregas.How many 17 year olds are out there playing in Europe for a top 5 side ?

And Wenger isn't an idiot.

Captain (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Game by game improvement. What more do you want?

>YounGunner< (Forum Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Rohit wrote:Not every 17 year old is a Fabregas.How many 17 year olds are out there playing in Europe for a top 5 side ?

Not every 17 year old costs 12 million.....

Grampus_Eight (Trusted Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:10 pm

Captain wrote:Game by game improvement. What more do you want?

Errr... Not really. He was twice as good in august and september where he deserved a player of the month award.

His u-21 cameo was the worst I've seen him play since joining that side.

Again, he has pace and talent, but it isn't working for him at the moment and he's pressing and trying to force things.

Rohit (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:12 pm

>YounGunner< wrote:
Rohit wrote:Not every 17 year old is a Fabregas.How many 17 year olds are out there playing in Europe for a top 5 side ?

Not any player , no matter what age is bought by Wenger for 12 million and i repeat Wenger isn't an idiot.

Have patience.

Rocafella (Forum Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:13 pm

>YounGunner< wrote:

He could cost up to 12 million. We've only paid around 5 or 6 million at the moment.

lagos (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:16 pm

The 17yr old excuse again :roll: The reason there aren't many is that at that age most are not ready. The few that play at that level show they are exceptional. So either he starts to show exceptional talent or we admit he's not ready. We can't keep making excuses.

Captain (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:21 pm

Grampus_Eight wrote:
Captain wrote:Game by game improvement. What more do you want?

Errr... Not really. He was twice as good in august and september where he deserved a player of the month award.

His u-21 cameo was the worst I've seen him play since joining that side.

Again, he has pace and talent, but it isn't working for him at the moment and he's pressing and trying to force things.

In sub appearances.

You take a tape of a game he started back then and a tape of today and you will see the improvement.

Captain (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:23 pm

lagosgooner wrote:The 17yr old excuse again :roll: The reason there aren't many is that at that age most are not ready. The few that play at that level show they are exceptional. So either he starts to show exceptional talent or we admit he's not ready. We can't keep making excuses.

The number of assists he has in premiership level football would suggest that he is an exceptional talent.

It isn't an accident that he has one of the highest numbers at the club but has played close to the lowest number of first team minutes.

lagos (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:27 pm

Captain wrote:
lagosgooner wrote:The 17yr old excuse again :roll: The reason there aren't many is that at that age most are not ready. The few that play at that level show they are exceptional. So either he starts to show exceptional talent or we admit he's not ready. We can't keep making excuses.

The number of assists he has in premiership level football would suggest that he is an exceptional talent.

It isn't an accident that he has one of the highest numbers at the club but has played close to the lowest number of first team minutes.

How many of those "assists" came when he started a game? I think you'll find it probably proves my point that he's more effective as a sub when his pace is more effective

stiiphunn (Trusted Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:28 pm

Captain wrote:

You've actually confirmed that he's a good sub. That's it for now. His performances when he starts are so poor that he doesn't deserve it anymore.

Captain (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:30 pm

you didn't make a point about being effective as a sub.

Your exact words:

"So either he starts to show exceptional talent or we admit he's not ready. We can't keep making excuses."

Hence me showing you why he is an exceptional talent.

gstew (Trusted Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:34 pm

lagosgooner wrote: So either he starts to show exceptional talent or we admit he's not ready. We can't keep making excuses.

He's definitely not ready!

ronitc (Forum Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:36 pm

Captain wrote:you didn't make a point about being effective as a sub.

Your exact words:

"So either he starts to show exceptional talent or we admit he's not ready. We can't keep making excuses."

Exceptional talents start matches and perform. Cesc is an exceptional talent.

Captain (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:37 pm

Walcott was good today anyway, so I don't see what the problem is.

BeijingGunner (Forum Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:37 pm

Theo's pass to Henry in the first half was brilliant, leaving TH with a left foot tap-in which he contrived to launch over the bar.
Theo could have played Baptista in twice, but he hit the first defender once, and overhit the ball the second time. If, when he does get it right, the striker then misses, it's not really his fault. Theo offers great width and was a good counter-balance to Tomas on the left. Hoyte doesn't get forward from right back as much as Eboué, so a winger is needed on that side.

If you compare Theo's performance today with Theo's performance at the JJB, I think he has improved. That's as much as we can really ask from a 17 year old.

ronitc (Forum Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:40 pm

He was better than Flamini on the right, that's for sure. I wouldn't say his performance was good, but rather it was better than previous games (which were pretty dire tbf). His best move was the square pass to Henry but he had several other opportunities to put in great balls and failed.

Great pass that was called offside to Henry though, if he meant it.

Captain (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:40 pm

ronitc wrote:
Captain wrote:you didn't make a point about being effective as a sub.

Your exact words:

Exceptional talents start matches and perform. Cesc is an exceptional talent.

Exceptional talents play premiership football at 17. Walcott is an exceptional talent.

We can do this all day but it would get kind of boring.

ronitc (Forum Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:41 pm

Please, there's probably numerous instances of 17 year olds playing Premiership football. Any manager can stick a 17 year old in to play a game. It doesn't mean they deserve it.

Please note I'm not arguing against Walcott being a good player. I'm saying perhaps he isn't quite the exceptional talent we thought he was. He can do a great job as a sub but he is being forced to start due to our injury problems.

Alfonso (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:45 pm

Shouldnt start games anymore. Aliadere is a much better option on the right, and i am suprised Wenger keeps starting Theo.

Why are we giving this guy a football education at the cost of us, especially in the business end of the season. Players should play on basis of merit. Walcott doesnt deserve to play from the start because he has been shocking in the past month. I know dropping him could dent his confidence(what is left of it) but 17 or not we are a football club not a nursery. When he plays we have to baby sit him through games at the cost of the team.

Keep him as a impact player. Playing with him from the start is as good as playing with 10 men. He can still get experience coming off the bench. If he plays well again then maybe he merits a start again, but not because he is Theo Walcott and he is our 17 year old baby we have to protect.

Notice how our players tend not to pass to Hoyte and Walcott?

Last edited by Alfonso on February 11th, 2007, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:46 pm

would you like to tell me these 'numerous instances'?

If you can't then don't make silly comments.

To play any at the pinnacle of any sport, and I mean the pinacle being the top 0.1% of people in the world, at the age of 17 is a greater indicator of his ability then anything you have to say on an internet forum.

lagos (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:54 pm

IF Theo had a name like Alexandre Song or Matthieu Flammini he'd be getting a lot of stick. I'm not saying these are bad players. I'm just saying he's performances have not been any better than some of the players that get so much stick.

And by the way Captain a goalkeeper in a team trhat plays long balls can amass a high assist figure. it doesn't mean he's an exceptional keeper or player.

and if you want to quote stats

he wins 1 ball for every 5 he loses inevitably breaking up a lot of our play

Last edited by lagos on February 11th, 2007, 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Captain (Elite Member) on February 11th, 2007, 8:56 pm

can he? which goalkeeper in the history of top-level football has performed such an achievement.

That's really grasping for an argument.

Walcott is an exceptional talent; that is all. I have told you why already.
Previous Next

Options

tracker