Theo Walcott

DOUBLE-YOU (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 12:58 pm

I'm not sure if there is already a topic on the lad, but i thought i would re-ignite the debate.

To be totally honest i really don't have any idea how good Theo Walcott is. There have been many games where Theo has the ball and he looks like a headless chicken. His control is poor and he falls over himself. In saying that, EVERY game i have seen him play, he has done something which shows he has superior quality. The spuds game was a great example. By all accounts Theo didn't have the best of games, but there was a cross he whipped into the box in the first half which was of world class quality. It was beckham esq. It had pacy and curl on it.

The Wigan game is another example. Poor first half, but after the second period i was left thinking this guy is the real deal (even though there wasn't always the desired end product)

Yes i know he has got his assists, done well at times, and he is very young, but i still don't know what to think of him. At 17 both Cesc and Anelka made bigger impact.

Alfonso (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 8:20 pm

Needs to step up. Was disapointing today, again. But you can see the potential.

Mostarac (Trusted Member) on January 28th, 2007, 8:22 pm

Big potential, but has been disappointing so far to be honest. Has to work harder, and it seems like he just can`t get past anybody when going forward at times. But, he is still very young, and needs time to improve.

Mr. Hotshot (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 8:27 pm

Hmm if you compare him to the likes of Lennon or Messi who are around his age, yes he's been dissapointing.

awooga83 (Trusted Member) on January 28th, 2007, 8:28 pm

He has potential as we have seen he should really concentrate on getting the simple things right good touch and linking up and making runs rather then trying to beat people . I don't think he will have the physical stature to be in the premiership for 3 or 4 years and until he gets that its going to be tough for him because people can shove him off the ball but that is just what comes with age. He still has alot to learn about football decision wise but again he needs time and games to learn and he will make mistakes in the process such is the way people learn. I think he is thought of by quite alot as a more important person in the team then he currently is.

Last edited by awooga83 on January 28th, 2007, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1970*Gooner (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 8:30 pm

Perhaps he shouldn't be put in for games like this, these rough and tumble games will do his confidence no good at all quite the reverse actually. He is getting knocked off the ball all the time, he is not strong enough to handle these games, he is making a right prat out off himself. The lad has potential however perhaps he needs a few games where the opposition does not want to bite yer legs off. I know he needs the games but surely not in these type of games. Why he was kept on today for such a lot time I don't know he done nothing to enhance his cred, just my opinion.

spartan239 (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 8:34 pm

Theo has great potential, lightning fast, but at the moment tends to drift in and out of games, there have been flashes of what he can do, and hes got a fair few assists, but hes goign through a slump at the moment, but who else are we going to play on the wings with no RVP and no Helb

1970*Gooner (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 8:40 pm

spartan239 wrote:Theo has great potential, lightning fast, but at the moment tends to drift in and out of games, there have been flashes of what he can do, and hes got a fair few assists, but hes goign through a slump at the moment, but who else are we going to play on the wings with no RVP and no Helb

Song :lol:

IBL (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 8:41 pm

When it comes to taking players on one-to-one this is where I find Theo lacking, his attacking is too one dimensional and predictable and defenders are able to get the tackle in. Theo is at his best when he's running and has space to kick the ball into, his assists have moslty come from wide area when Arsenal are counter attacking.

He's lacking confidence and composure and he isnt on the same wavelength as most of the other Arsenal players around him. I'm still reserving judgement as he's still a kid with lots of potential, but he's had a run of games and I've seen no noticeable improvements. Lennon is ahead of him at the moment.

Still only 17 remember

lagos (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 8:43 pm

I'm going to cut and paste something I wrote in another thread (for those who haven't seen it)

"There was one game (can't remmember which) where I was very impressed with Theo. Otherwise he's been so so. He looked more in his element when playing for the England u-21s with signs that he has the makings of a very good player. He however is not the natural freak (as someone put it) in the mould of Messi, or Ronaldo. That itself is not a problem as not all great players are natural freaks some have to work at it

Very good players have one or a combination of the following

Dribbling skill
pace
Physical attributes (powerful shot,height or bulk in the case of a defender)

But it's only a start, what seperates the boys from the men is a highly developed Footballing brain (movement off the ball, ability to see a pass, knowing what's around you without looking, ability to read what the opposition is going to do before he does it etc) that's what makes freaks. The fact that Cesc has this quality as such a young age is what makes him so unique. The good thing for youngsters with a skill/asset but whose football brain is not so advanced is that thankfully that is one thing one can coach and develop.

So while Theo has little if any dribbling skills (ala lenon ronaldinho etc) , the upside if that if he can develop his football brain and ally that to his pace he won't need to dribble to get past his markers, he could become a freak in the way Henry is. But he has a lot to work on and hopefully we'll see the end product. The good thing is he is young and has something we can work with. "

I'll just add to that by saying I don't think he is ready to start games. Too much of our play breaks down when he gets the ball, he can't seem to take corners and as Ice Berg legend pointed out in his ratings of todays match he is "very one dimensional when attacking and easily defended against"

I think untuil he improves his footballing acumen he should only be brought on in the dying minutes when the opposition is tired and his pace can be a threat

Alfonso (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 8:54 pm

That is the problem ,he is our second choice right midfielder. Wenger knew it would be risk having the potential of a 17 yr old kid playing so many games. But it is Wenger's decsion at the the end of the day. He has to accept the fact playing Theo could be of a liabilty than an asset for the team at this moment. But can we afford for Theo to learn his football education at the cost of the team, especially in such big games like today?

Personally i would like to see Ali get some games in that position now that Hleb is injured. Theo has had his chance and failed to impress. Theo is a good off the bench impact player, but not mature enough to play a decent role for the first team from the start.

1970*Gooner (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:01 pm

Alfonso wrote:That is the problem ,he is our second choice right midfielder. Wenger knew it would be risk having the potential of a 17 yr old kid playing so many games. But it is Wenger's decsion at the the end of the day. He has to accept the fact playing Theo could be of a liabilty than an asset for the team at this moment. But can we afford for Theo to learn his football education at the cost of the team, especially in such big games like today?

Personally i would like to see Ali get some games in that position now that Hleb is injured. Theo has had his chance and failed to impress. Theo is a good off the bench impact player, but not mature enough to play a decent role for the first team from the start.

My point exactly, bring him of for the last 10-15 minutes, starting material he ain't, not yet anyway.

kamikaze80 (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:05 pm

he's 17 and slumping, not a big deal really. i still have a lot of faith in him. and as you said, we have ali who could potentially be an option there, and also denilson. i dont see a problem.

DOUBLE-YOU (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:08 pm

The maybe it could be where wenger plays him. I know he is on the wing to learn the game more, but maybe he should play up front, score a goal and gain the needed confidence.

At 17 i didn't seem the glimses of ability Theo has in Anelka, but Anelka seemed a better all round player. He hardly ever conceded possession and he scored goals. I just wonder how much a goal would change theo's performances.

alonso14 (Trusted Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:09 pm

some people need to have a think

he is 17...with hardly any big game experience....he is raw and will take time to settle in and adjust....

To compare him to Messi and Lennon is a joke, they have two seasons of 1st team football behined them.....Walcott doesnt

the time to judge him will be in his mid 20's

lagos (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:16 pm

If he were a 16 yr old we paid £500k for, nobody would even dare making such comparisons. However when you come with such a hefty price tag Such comparisons are not out of place. There are not many established players that will ever in their careers have a price tag of £12m

Furthermore if he is in the 1st team he can be judged because we suffer if he doesn't perform. By saying we should wait till he is in his twenties is a round about way of saying he is not ready for the 1st team

Last edited by lagos on January 28th, 2007, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shredder (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:19 pm

Mr. Hotshot wrote:Hmm if you compare him to the likes of Lennon or Messi who are around his age, yes he's been dissapointing.

Not fair, imo. They're both two years older. Compare them with Cesc instead and see the difference two years can make - especially at that age...

My biggest pet peeve about Theo's situation is that he hasn't yet had a chance to play in his preferred role as a striker. Even now, I think he could to much better as a striker and it seems he's got a rocket of a right foot too so he would score goals.

Maybe this winger thing will eventually be for the best - I've stopped doubting the fact that Wenger knows - but it's not pretty to watch at the moment. Unfortunately, with Hleb and Van Persie out, he's probably stuck out there for the immediate future.

Alfonso (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:19 pm

alonso14 wrote:

But look at Owen when he was 17. Theo is supposed to be in the same class as Owen and Rooney, therefore there are higher expectations with him than other normal 17 year olds.

We shouldnt judge him untill he is in his mid 20's? So he is alllowed to have 7 years of performances like today and Wednesday?

Mostarac (Trusted Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:21 pm

It is not good to compare him to Messi or Lennon as they have played much more and gained more experience, he will be better than Lennon of that I am sure, while Messi is out of this world and better than Lennon so that is another reason not to compare Walcott with them.

awooga83 (Trusted Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:21 pm

I think thats the problem he isn't Rooney he isn't owen so its silly to mark him off compared to them some players flourish early some don't some become better later on some decline. As for the price tag he didn't put it on himself so thats unfair.

Don't rate his perfomance or chart it compare to others it doesn't ring tru e as everyone is different.

Last edited by awooga83 on January 28th, 2007, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shredder (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:21 pm

Alfonso wrote:
alonso14 wrote:

But look at Owen when he was 17. Theo is supposed to be in the same class as Owen and Rooney, therefore there are higher expectations with him than other normal 17 year olds.

We shouldnt judge him untill he is in his mid 20's? So he is alllowed to have 7 years of performances like today and Wednesday?

I'm quite sure that Owen wouldn't have set the world alight as a right winger either.

>YounGunner< (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:25 pm

For me he is a centre forward ala Owen. He is not a winger and Wenger is just developing his game there so hes bound to have some poor performances there.

Theos cannot run with the ball at speed so he is matched for pace against any full back with the ball and hes not much of a weaver. His pace, a decent touch and a good finish only stand out for me. His passing also looks promising.

He is not a "wonder kid" He is a normal 17 year footballer who very good potential.

Last edited by >YounGunner< on January 14th, 2008, 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alfonso (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:28 pm

>YounGunner< wrote:He is not a "wonder kid" He is a normal 17 year footballer who has very good potential.

I think it is that which makes it harder to take for people. Plus the fact he is English, people expect too much from him, as in our saviour. He is not. And we should not write him off. Anyway, all these bad experiences will make him stronger as a person and a player.

alonso14 (Trusted Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Alfonso wrote:
alonso14 wrote:

and Owen suffered because he was too young to be playing every week...he picked up hamstring injuries because his body couoldnt cope

Tony Montana (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Alfonso wrote:
>YounGunner< wrote:He is not a "wonder kid" He is a normal 17 year footballer who has very good potential.

I think it is that which makes it harder to take for people. Plus the fact he is English, people expect too much from him, as in our saviour. He is not. And we should not write him off. Anyway, all these bad experiences will make him stronger as a person and a player.

And that's why i think he wasn't worth (up to) 12 million quid .

dos1986 (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:33 pm

Theo has a lot of work ahead of him as speed alone isnt enough for someone of his stature he will need to add a few tricks to his game and will have to really improve his dribbling and movement in behind defenders in the summer

Alfonso (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:37 pm

So Tony what are you trying to say? That Theo is a squeeky clean version of Pennant? :lol:

Tony Montana (Elite Member) on January 28th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Alfonso wrote:So Tony what are you trying to say? That Theo is a squeeky clean version of Pennant? :lol:

In all honesty I don't think he's much better (if at all) than Jermaine Pennant now or when Pennant was roughly the same age. After a few years he may go on to be a fantastic player however. At the moment, or last year, we didn't need to spend 5 million quid on another kid. We needed established players or someone young but with a bit more experience. I don't know exactly. All i know now is that I don't particularly like Walcott as a player at the moment. Still, I would rather keep him than Aliadiere.

jester (Trusted Member) on January 28th, 2007, 10:28 pm

alonso14 wrote:some people need to have a think

he is 17...with hardly any big game experience....he is raw and will take time to settle in and adjust....

To compare him to Messi and Lennon is a joke, they have two seasons of 1st team football behined them.....Walcott doesnt

Thats completely right.
Name another 17yr old playing consistantly in the prem league? There isnt. Wait untill he's of a decent age (we COULD even wait untill he's an adult, lol) then judge him.

Jimbo14 (Forum Member) on January 28th, 2007, 10:36 pm

jester wrote:
alonso14 wrote:some people need to have a think

Thats completely right.
Name another 17yr old playing consistantly in the prem league? There isnt. Wait untill he's of a decent age (we COULD even wait untill he's an adult, lol) then judge him.

I agree with you fella's.
But just a word on his performances and potential. People need to think back to the 1st game of the season.
1-0 down against villa. We were playing AWEFULL.
As soon as Theo starts Warming up the atmosphere changes. He comes on and changes the game from the wing. We could have won that game. But if not for him we Would have lost it.
That says alot for a young boy of 17. And how anyone can get on his back is beyond belief it really is.
Next

Options

tracker