Per Mertesacker

There is light (Forum Member) on January 19th, 2011, 6:46 am

This is not fantasy football, how is any manager going to first of all buy 6 CBs and then assure them of some playing time, surely someone will want to leave and will do, the idea of having 6 CBs is very unreal and naive tbh. Wenger's having his usual bargaining troubles finding a 5th, and i'm sure even wenger would be in a dilemma right now as to what should be the quality of the player that he should sign.

He tends to sign players very late or very early in the window so we will have to wait a bit i guess. We've been linked with the likes of upson, dunne, samba, spahic, mertesacker, and mexes, all of whom disappoint me and even though bolton are likely to sign wheater, they are short in the CB department and it's unlikely that we would pay 20 million for cahill, then there's the likes of ciani and sakho, which is of course pure speculation. This is going to be one long month....

mccroix (Forum Member) on January 19th, 2011, 10:22 am

Stepanos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mertesacker

DJ_Markstar (Forum Member) on January 19th, 2011, 12:10 pm

makaveli tha don wrote:Stepanos>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mertesacker

:lol:

At least you've got a sense of humour.

Also, Mertesacker is a proven goalscorer, having scored more league goals than Heskey last season.

qs (Elite Member) on January 19th, 2011, 12:35 pm

I really couldn't care less about a centre halves scoring record.

Floating (Trusted Member) on July 10th, 2011, 10:03 pm

According to reports from Germany, Arsène Wenger is considering making an official approach for Werder Bremen’s centre back Per Mertesacker.

The 29 year old experienced German International who has won 75 caps for the German national side is also the subject of interest from a top Turkish side.

Arsenal are looking to strengthen their defence and Wenger could use Armand Traore as a makeweight in the deal, as Bremen are keen to sign the Frenchman.

Mertesacker who joined Bremen from Hanover 96 for a 5 million Euro fee in 2006 has featured in over 140 games for Bremen.

Arsenal fans may well remember Mertesacker from the 2006 world cup in Germany, when the player was subjected to a physical attack by Argentine Leandro Cufre, after Germany defeated Argentina in a Quarter Finals shoot out.

http://www.footie-online.co.uk/2011/07/ ... back/2282/?

Interesting. Suggests we may include Traore in a deal for Mertesacker.

Proof (Trusted Member) on July 10th, 2011, 10:22 pm

I would take him over Squillaci. This offer sounds good, because including Traore in the deal, will mean that Wenger will buy a first-choice left-back. I suppose he doesn't want to play Vermaelen there.

arsenallegends (Forum Member) on July 10th, 2011, 10:43 pm

:) days work: find old transfer rumor, reintroduce, give it a twist and toss in a fringe player.

been (Forum Member) on July 10th, 2011, 11:26 pm

wait WTF

is this guy really 29 already

couldve sworn he was still 25 or 26

regardless we have been linked with this guy alot in the past we would have gotten him by now if there was any truth to it

NIPOLOPO (Forum Member) on July 10th, 2011, 11:32 pm

arsenallegends wrote::) days work: find old transfer rumor, reintroduce, give it a twist and toss in a fringe player.

Ditto.

ricky1985 (Elite Member) on July 10th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Article's wrong, he's 26, 27 in September.

fabo (Forum Member) on July 10th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Last I read, Bremen were skint and unable to offer Mertesacker and GK Wiese new deals.

mistaT (Trusted Member) on July 11th, 2011, 12:39 am

6'6 8))

That is all.

stuart (Trusted Member) on July 11th, 2011, 1:01 am

Ahh this old favourite. Same as always - do not want.

viper_001 (Forum Member) on July 11th, 2011, 2:44 am

It's transfer season so it was only a matter of time before we were linked with Mertesacker. I half expect reports to come out about us wanting Matuidi and Inler next.

AFCG7 (Elite Member) on July 11th, 2011, 4:56 am

No Way.
We shuld go for Samba. Mertesacker is way too slow.

redwhiteAustrian (Global Moderator) on July 11th, 2011, 7:50 am

Always wanted him here, great tackler and reader of the game.
Sadly, he's had two rather poor campaigns and his performances at the WC weren't great either, where Arne Friedrich outshone him.
Don't think he'd struggle here much, because Werder Bremen are also playing with a high line and previously, he never had problems with that.

Wouldn't mind him here now tbh, wouldn't cost much (not as much as two or three seasons ago) and is definitely above Squib in terms of ability.

kofigunner (Trusted Member) on July 11th, 2011, 5:59 pm

Ah the usual Mertesacker rumour...sigh

truth_hurts (Forum Member) on July 11th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Would prefer Samba but wouldn't complain if we signed Mertesacker.

Arsenal in Aus (Forum Member) on August 7th, 2011, 12:59 pm

Wikipedia:

On August 7th 2011, during the 2011/2012 Summer transfer window and after swift transfer negotiations between English Premier League giants Arsenal and Bundesliga outfit Werder Bremen, Per Mertesacker signed for an undisclosed fee believed to be in the region of €6 million.

Of course, on the very same page they also had this sentence:

Per Mertesacker (German pronunciation: [ˈpeːɐ̯ ˈmɛʁtəzakɐ]; born 29 September 1984 in Hannover) is a German footballer who plays as a defender for Liverpool F.C and the Germany national football team.

Rorz (Forum Member) on August 7th, 2011, 1:28 pm

At this point I wouldn't be against signing Mertesacker but I have serious doubts if he would be as good as Cahill/Jagielka. Very few CBs I would say no to right now though.

truth_hurts (Forum Member) on August 7th, 2011, 2:36 pm

So we're not after a player with Premiership experience? he'd take a while to adapt maybe but i'd be happy with him.

baccy_man (Forum Member) on August 7th, 2011, 2:41 pm

Always the cheapest option available got to think about the pennies you know :wink:

KY (Forum Member) on August 7th, 2011, 2:46 pm

27 in September, he or Samba would be a good option ability and age-wise while Kyle Bartley is slowly blooded in...

Though somehow that last part sounds too Wenger-esqe to be acceptable for most of us fans nowadays. :D

OneProudGooner (Forum Member) on August 7th, 2011, 2:55 pm

Doesn't mean we're not looking for a PL CB just because we're linked by Sky Sports, he's big, clumsy and slow though would probably struggle here unless in a deep line.
I don't think Samba is the answer either but he's adapted to the PL but I think we're still looking at Jagielka etc.
I found the original article and it seems they've spun it or copied the People who carried the quote but can't find that article.

Last edited by OneProudGooner on August 8th, 2011, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

redwhiteAustrian (Global Moderator) on August 7th, 2011, 5:16 pm

redwhiteAustrian wrote:Wouldn't mind him here now tbh, wouldn't cost much (not as much as two or three seasons ago) and is definitely above Squib in terms of ability.

fabo (Forum Member) on August 7th, 2011, 5:19 pm

We need better than Djourou and Koscielny aswell.

Maybe Mertesacker is it, but he's slow which is my concern. Much prefer Cahill who is athletic and good in the air. But it seems you could get Mertesacker for cheap which would appeal to us I'm sure.

Anyone watch him every week in recent seasons?

redwhiteAustrian (Global Moderator) on August 7th, 2011, 5:25 pm

It was difficult to watch him every week last season, because he's been out quite often. When he played he's been solid, although didn't perform on the level you'd expect him too.

Although that was hugely down to his partners at the back last season, the likes of Silvestre e.g.

EDIT:
"Out" related to being out of the team on some occassions, not out injured.

fabo (Forum Member) on August 7th, 2011, 5:34 pm

How would he do when he gets dragged out to the RB position in a one-v-one against a pretty quick player?

It's gonna happen multiple times.

redwhiteAustrian (Global Moderator) on August 7th, 2011, 5:36 pm

This "has no pace" thing is quite non-saying regarding Mertesacker, because ever since he joined Bremen, he's played in a high defending line, always vulnerable tocounter attack or balls over the top, and he rarely had problems while defending them.

Only worry is how well he complements with our CBs. His form depends heavily on his CB-partner.

redwhiteAustrian (Global Moderator) on August 7th, 2011, 5:37 pm

fabo wrote:How would he do when he gets dragged out to the RB position in a one-v-one against a pretty quick player?

It's gonna happen multiple times.

He'd struggle, no question.
Previous Next

Options

tracker